Blood & Honor Expectations

For general discussions about B&H. If it doesn't seem to go anywhere else stick it here.

Moderator: Snag

Blood & Honor Expectations

Postby Rob Justice » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:07 am

John explained a bit about Blood & Honor to us recently... and oh man, I'm excited about this.

My question to everyone: With the little bit we know about B&H (IE: Houses of the Blooded the Samurai Edition) what kind of things are you hoping to see in the game? Either new things introduced that weren't part of Houses, changes you'd like to see, or anything else.
Rob Justice

Re: Blood & Honor Expectations

Postby Keith Fyans » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:06 pm

I like the idea that you are playing your Clan as much as your Character... I'm also hoping the Seasons chapter stuff has been tightened and the Dueling rules work more like the LARP rules do atm.

Jeez... all that sounds so... stale... All in all I'm hoping for the same shivers L5R gave me. That is the truth. L5R and HotB are the two games to have really clicked with me. I'm sure if L5R came out tomorrow I wouldn't feel the same, but that is the same reason houses wouldn't have clicked without me seeing L5R years ago.

Ok, attempt three to answer. I want to see my character have to loose his shoes just so he can get broken glass embedded in his feet, so that he has to pull out the glass, so that he can struggle on and beat the bad guy. (EDIT: I may have been watching Die Hard the other day... ;) ) And I want to die when I beat him, because he would get away if I didn't put myself there. I ant my strict code of morals and ethics to be tempted and lured and the great benefits offered to me in return for compromise; And I would like to hope that I stand true; and I would like to hope I do so without being a monster. I know that somewhere I will fail, and that is also something I hope for.

Final attempt. I want a great story with my friends.
Glasgow Indie Gamers - Website ~ Facebook ~ Twitter
Keith Fyans

Postby Keith Fyans » Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:28 am

So, has anyone here went for the $5 feedback preview? If so what thoughts are you having?
Keith Fyans

Postby Charlie_EN » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:18 am

Yes, I've got the $5 preview. I'm not 100% through it but here are some of my thoughts in a random order:

* While I (inevitably as an old L5R fanboy) want to do something Rokugani with it, I really want to see it working in the Sengoku era of Japan. Samurai Warriors 3 was released recently and I'm a fan of both Ieyasu Tokugawa and Nobunaga Oda. In a similar vein I wonder how it could work with a Romance of Three Kingdoms setting.
* It seems more 'controlled' than Houses, which will probably help my gaming group not only understand this and where they went a bit awry with Houses, but hopefully B&H (odd, as that's a line of cigarettes in the UK) will be the gateway back to Houses.
* I enjoyed the bizarre use of the Romance of Three Kingdoms in a high school setting in KO3anguo and wonder if the samurai castes/ideas could then be turned into a high school melodrama, with the clans as cliques.

Rules-wise, I'm going at it from the view of someone who's seem and loved Houses:
* I like the way the clans are built first, then the characters. While you can have the standard gaming setup where everyone is from different clans/splats, I like the idea of everyone working under the same daimyo. It's definitely very thematic to the setting and the idea of clan first. As I've only really been lightly looking at the sections of the book, I've not seen it suggesting making your own aspects, although that'd be easy enough to do if you can't find one fitting to your concept. There's no tags on these aspects either, and I like that. Tags do appear later on for injuries and the like, but Tags were a little much for my group to comprehend along with compels, so simplicity's always good.
* Communal honour is very nice and again, thematic. We use Drama Dice in 7th Sea that way, too. Glory has an element of the diary entries in Shotgun Diaries, just a little slower to build as this is a 'long game', or at least has more potential to be. I don't see Honour being given away like candy as much as Style was, but at the same time the reasons for getting it are nicely defined and suitable not just to the game, but specifically to your clan. Youv'e got a sneaky son of a bitch as your daimyo, then yes, lying and the like would be a good thing. Compelling people, therefore, is pushing them to do something in line with your clan.
* Having one advantage which does something simple is a nice replacement for the Suaven abilities which got, again, too complex to easily explain in character creation to my group. Given more time and study they'd have been fine with them, but I prefer being able to go "Right, here's a short list and the things they do" than bombard them with mechanics.
* Risks are the same, but katanas make things really lethal. I like that. The most horrific moment for me as a player was when I said I'd kill a guy in a gangster game and the GM didn't even make me roll. The dude was non-proficient, he was just a car mechanic and I could kill him like (snaps fingers) that. Of course I killed him. The ability to snuff someone out so easily, the lack of challenge or potential for failure was empowering and horrifying at the same time. If you're a benevolent samurai, seeing someone slice down a peasant for being in their way or a ronin for looking offensive near them, it's going to be difficult to stop bad things happening.
* The other 'Suaven' equivalent, the ancestors, are again, simpler and easier to deal with. I've yet to go thoroughly through the magic or seasons areas as I'm thinking of running a one off as my GM's away this week, and seasons probably won't pass. Probably.
Charlie_EN

Postby wunderworks » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:35 am

Whoot! I'm so glad you enjoy the game. And remember, for the pre-release PDF if you notice any typos that escaped our careful scanning email johnjwick (at) gmail (dot) com.

Also just to let you all know, we will soon be preparing to expand the forums to all of John Wick Presents. Don't worry all of the HotB forums will stay the same, but it'll be getting fun cousins where we can discuss how to convert B&H into Romance of the Three Kingdoms and play the Battle of the Red Cliffs (Zhuge Liang FTW!) or develop a Clan who likes to ride horses and have weird Western cultural ideas. ;)
Author of World of Dew a samurai noir sequel to John Wick's Blood & Honor

"Forbearance is the root of quietness and assurance forever. "
~ Tokugawa Ieyasu ~
wunderworks
Site Admin

Postby Rob Justice » Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:24 am

I have it... and next monday on Bear Swarm! we talk to John about it a bit...

I've pretty much just been sending my thoughts on it to John...

Overall: I like it. I plan on using it as a toolkit (along with Blood & Tears) to piece together a larger game, using the rules\mechanics I like and dropping others. I doubt I'd ever just run a straight B&H game though...
Rob Justice

Postby Keith Fyans » Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:28 am

I'm sorta with Rob on this one - I couldn't use it as is. It gives me the expectation for one type of game and supporting rules (clan focussed gaming with story-focused thematic rules), then gives me another (the war section is really clunky and innevitable to use if played RAW, while there is next to nothing on how to use the diamyo in play).

I'm happy to order a hard copy (esp as it is hardback), but I am hoping for a stand-alone game rather than a HotB tool-kit in the final product.
Keith Fyans

Postby Tokkie » Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:49 am

Hi! So I pre-ordered the hardcover book, and have read the whole pdf... I'll be starting a campaign with this very soon, I'm pretty excited!

We were promised a map of Old Japan though. There is none with the pdf. Will it be inside the covers of the book? Will there be a pdf map for download?
I'm a bit of a sucker for maps, and having them on a table helps campaigns no end, in my experience. :ugeek:
Tokkie

Postby wunderworks » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:26 am

Tokkie wrote:Hi! So I pre-ordered the hardcover book, and have read the whole pdf... I'll be starting a campaign with this very soon, I'm pretty excited!

We were promised a map of Old Japan though. There is none with the pdf. Will it be inside the covers of the book? Will there be a pdf map for download?
I'm a bit of a sucker for maps, and having them on a table helps campaigns no end, in my experience. :ugeek:

I know there was some work done on a map, I don't know if it'll be in the book...looks John's direction.....
Author of World of Dew a samurai noir sequel to John Wick's Blood & Honor

"Forbearance is the root of quietness and assurance forever. "
~ Tokugawa Ieyasu ~
wunderworks
Site Admin

Postby Tokkie » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:16 am

As long as it will be SOMEWHERE, I'm happy! Thanks!
Tokkie

Next

Return to Blood and Honor: General Discussion