Blood and Honor WTF?

For general discussions about B&H. If it doesn't seem to go anywhere else stick it here.

Moderator: Snag

Blood and Honor WTF?

Postby [ak][aramis] » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:19 am

Several things I noticed, a few being clearly errata... some not. I got the PDF yesterday

Errata-ish
p79: "Good Quality Swords have one Qualities." Should be "Good Quality Swords have one Quality."

p91: §Escalation ¶1 Talks only about lowering the war rank with actions, not raising it, but the last line implies you can intentionally raise it.

p20-21 doesn't mention clan bonus. Also, if one were silly enough to put their W in the Clan's favored virtue, would they get a 1 or keep the W.

p24: example lists the clan's "(+1)" but doesn't explain it...

Just plain WTF:

p103: just one of those WTF moments... Really now... John, can you please explain "ADFOIAHPOIHWVPAHDSPGHASPOVNPANVPAURGPOHRGPOH!!!!" or at least give us an audio? «Grin»«Duck»«run»

p104: "Gay marriage. Okay, that one’s pretty straight-forward, it’s just that the people on the other side of the debate are ignorant and don’t understand the real issues."
Some things are just better left unsaid...

p115: "(Nobody cares about a game because the ranged attack mechanic is cool.)" John, have you ever met Phoenix Command or TNE players? They do... and I used to. (I grew out of it).
Last edited by [ak][aramis] on Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
Never grab a tiger by the tail.... unless it's sedated or dead!
[ak][aramis]

Re: Blood and Honor WTF?

Postby wunderworks » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:22 pm

Is the pdf you received the updated pdf?
Author of World of Dew a samurai noir sequel to John Wick's Blood & Honor

"Forbearance is the root of quietness and assurance forever. "
~ Tokugawa Ieyasu ~
wunderworks
Site Admin

Postby [ak][aramis] » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:12 pm

wunderworks wrote:Is the pdf you received the updated pdf?

It has the graphic in Appendix 1, has Q&A (Appendix 2), and character sheet and clan sheet in the back, so I suspect so... I got it yesterday.

Also, another WTF moment...

I realized it doesn't address province vs clan clearly; if a group has multiple clans, is one of them the provincial daimyo and the others vassals (or worse, infiltrated holdings*), or are they separate provinces? I think I'm missing something there...

* Holdings of a different provincial daimyo outside his lands, usually "granted" by the Shōgun or Emperor in order to weaken a given Daimyo by dividing his forces into non-contiguous blocks.

Oh, and a Kudos for John: This one reads nicely on my E-book reader... unlike HOTB. Thanks for the less intense design.

I was having trouble with the art on my Mac, however... some of it wasn't rendering on every viewing. (p107)
I cut off short, this morning, due to running out of time before appointments.
[ak][aramis]

Postby wunderworks » Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:31 pm

[ak][aramis] wrote:
wunderworks wrote:Is the pdf you received the updated pdf?

It has the graphic in Appendix 1, has Q&A (Appendix 2), and character sheet and clan sheet in the back, so I suspect so... I got it yesterday.

Also, another WTF moment...

I realized it doesn't address province vs clan clearly; if a group has multiple clans, is one of them the provincial daimyo and the others vassals (or worse, infiltrated holdings*), or are they separate provinces? I think I'm missing something there...

* Holdings of a different provincial daimyo outside his lands, usually "granted" by the Shōgun or Emperor in order to weaken a given Daimyo by dividing his forces into non-contiguous blocks.

Oh, and a Kudos for John: This one reads nicely on my E-book reader... unlike HOTB. Thanks for the less intense design.

I was having trouble with the art on my Mac, however... some of it wasn't rendering on every viewing. (p107)
I cut off short, this morning, due to running out of time before appointments.

I know the art layout and all of it was done on a Mac, so that's odd.

What do you like about it so far?
Author of World of Dew a samurai noir sequel to John Wick's Blood & Honor

"Forbearance is the root of quietness and assurance forever. "
~ Tokugawa Ieyasu ~
wunderworks
Site Admin

Postby [ak][aramis] » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:43 pm

1) Layout: Absolutely gorgeous, clean, renders readably on screen, B&W paper, and ebook reader
2) clan and character design
3) combat rules look really promising. Have to give it a whirl before final judgement
4) risk rules nicely cleaned up vs HOTB
5) unlike HOTB, I can get my regulars interested

Areas I have yet to read in detail:
Season actions
Warfare

I've skimmed those, but I've actually read for comprehension the rest of the book.
[ak][aramis]

Postby Lriot » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:10 am

Btw. does anyone know what in the God's name is "Legend" quality (B&H page 50)?

It supposedly should be a benefit from the Advantage list but... there is no such advantage :(
Lriot

Postby [ak][aramis] » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:23 pm

Lriot wrote:Btw. does anyone know what in the God's name is "Legend" quality (B&H page 50)?

It supposedly should be a benefit from the Advantage list but... there is no such advantage :(

It's on page 80...
it's a weapon quality. It allows taking the benefit of one chapter one advantage (p21-23).

So a Good Weapon (Level 1) might take Legend (Lucky), which would mean the weapon grants "reroll a 1" 3x per session, just as the Lucky advantage does. A level 2 Excellent weapon might be Legend (outsider) and blade 1, and thus grant +1 to a non-clan virtue, and 2 free wagers...

And, now having read it all... I'm going through and making my cheat sheets for when my current game runs to ground.

One thing that might be a wonderful appendix 3: transliterations and meanings of the Japanese running headers in the book and on the character and clan sheets. (I've mislaid my kanji dictionary!)
[ak][aramis]

Postby Tokkie » Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:05 am

[ak][aramis] wrote:And, now having read it all... I'm going through and making my cheat sheets for when my current game runs to ground.

I've already made one (with some help from Lriot) so perhaps we shouldn't double efforts. :)
Tokkie

Postby [ak][aramis] » Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:37 am

Tokkie wrote:
[ak][aramis] wrote:And, now having read it all... I'm going through and making my cheat sheets for when my current game runs to ground.

I've already made one (with some help from Lriot) so perhaps we shouldn't double efforts. :)

I do them not for others, but to burn things in my head by transcription. Grabbing yours would literally be no benefit to me at all.
[ak][aramis]

Postby Tokkie » Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:49 am

[ak][aramis] wrote:I do them not for others, but to burn things in my head by transcription. Grabbing yours would literally be no benefit to me at all.

As you wish.
Tokkie

Next

Return to Blood and Honor: General Discussion