[B&H] Reactions after session 1

For general discussions about B&H. If it doesn't seem to go anywhere else stick it here.

Moderator: Snag

[B&H] Reactions after session 1

Postby [ak][aramis] » Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:03 am

The group decided to all play the same clan.

I threw them a situation to "deal with"; all have played L5R (2nd and 3rd for 2 of them, 3rd for one).
The situation, the Daimyō says, "A group approaches the Frozen Pass, go, deal with it."

The whole party gets in on the "Do we get there" risk... Two focused upon the maps (using Wis) and one on the goods (using cunning), vs 5 dice for the weather.
P wins privelege: Yes, we get there. I speak first. We make it safely.
S adds "on this sunny day"
J adds "Well equipped with supplies and horses"
I add, "But you can't see them until you are upon them"
P concludes "But we can hear them, so we are not suprised."

Not bad.
They find a ronin. I've written him up completely, for my fun. Giri - Hatamoto... why? He leads a group of carpenter/ashigaru.

Another risk to determine if they can fool his people into thinking the long way back is the short way.
End result: Yes, but they meet the Daimyō in the first village on the way back, the ronin is tagged as honest (for now), and has revealed his reason for coming: Looking for a home and work for his men.

This leads to a duel using bokken vs P's Tsukuru to test his skill; 9d vs 9d, 4 off for wagers. He wins priveledge; he loses on purpose, but goes first, "No one was injured"
P: "And the Daimyō is impressed"
Ronin (Me): "His skill is proven"
P: "And the Daimyō hires him"
Ronin: Glory point in warrior.

Face saved around, proving he's good, but not shaming the Daimyō's man in front of the daimyō...

I was surprised... I never expected the player to have him hired. I expected them to be told to prove themselves first by working for free, but they were hired to build the new garrison and then hold it.

This was both some of the smoothest mechanics I've run, and yet, somehow, disjointed. It's cool; every risk was a surprise to someone in the outcome, and most to more than one.

The season actions were tied to things started in play... the duelist realized he was bested but allowed face... and so he asked to study a sword school. The garrison was the other SA.

We are all kind of tentative, so I am glad we started small on the session. We have a feel now for risks in action (I like them more than I thought I would, as does J., S and P are both still uncertain about how they like it. All are ready for season 2. J is thinking they need a geisha house. He's planning next session to spend an honor to call forth an Obasan looking for a place to set up shop.

I suspect they will put more tasks for Ronin Ichiro, of the ancient sword.

We had an interesting time with names... the kanji-dictionary got passed around.

So far, so good. One in play RQ... if all sides fail to break 10, what happens?
Never grab a tiger by the tail.... unless it's sedated or dead!
[ak][aramis]

Re: [B&H] Reactions after session 1

Postby Keith Fyans » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:46 am

Sounds awesome! One thing I'd strongly recommend trying out is not fleshing out the NPC's before hand - have a Name & the three truths (make them important), and then have the PCs make a Cooperative Wisdom Risk (for advanced knowledge of the NPC).
Glasgow Indie Gamers - Website ~ Facebook ~ Twitter
Keith Fyans

Postby [ak][aramis] » Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:41 pm

He was done to test out some things; namely, to work through CGen prior to play. Seemed a shame to waste him. And he was the better for it; two of the players have no real narrativist game experience. J and I hae to break them in gently; one played in a Mouse Guard game and a BE game, but stll wasn't really prepared for content creation in play. (My wife, for reference, so yes, I am judging fairly.) The other has been trying to treat every step more player power as some GM nastiness...

The Ronin was also my test-out mechanics pre-play character, giving me an idea of how many dice and how to work him.

They did tag him with Honest... pleasantly. They are just starting to grasp that things can be added to by risks. I can't just drop them in the deep end. They are struggling in the shallows. We're (J and I) and trying to get my wife and P to where the water is deep enough to swim rather than wade.
[ak][aramis]

Postby Nihilistic Mind » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:47 am

Sounds like a lot of fun was had by all, congrats on your first session! Keep them coming! :D
"Sparrow, I'll call you back. I've just gutted a man with a shard of wood and I need to make sure he's dead... I think you're right, Sparrow. I am a bad, bad man..."
~~Dr. Xander Crowe, WORMWOOD.
Nihilistic Mind
Site Admin

Postby [ak][aramis] » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:07 am

Session 2 down...

J introduced an Oba-san (Geisha House Mother) without a house.
Heion - 平穏 (tranquil, Restful)
  • Pretty Usagi (they're of clan Usagi - the rabbit - but have a clan truth of not being pretty)
  • Returning home
  • Rather Experienced Obasan

The wisdom risk everyone but P jumps on... She's their daimyo's sister (Half-sister?), been banned from court by their father, has a big naginata, is looking to set up a house here, can't be both Ji-samurai and eta but is acting as both, J's character is tagged with "smitten with her", He doesn't remember her by face or name, she's expected, she must report in person to the Daimyo.

Everything else following results from this basic setup...
They summon up the daimyo out to check the rice fields, a house that is suitable, later revealed to be decrepit and in need of repairs, that she will be samurai but overseeing the "real oba-san" and go off to get the ronin carpenters onto it, but run into an ogre. Oh, and the Daimyo and J's samurai (the yojinbo) have a bit of a "chest-thump" where it's established that she's smitten with P's character, J won't get CAUGHT pursuing her, can openly worship her from afar, and what the daimyo doesn't see he doesn't have to kill him for.

The Ogre: Big (2x the size of a man), Green, highly proficient with it's talons
The Risk brings: Friendly, Scary, devout shinto, peasants hate him, priests know him.
Trying to get stuff riled up, I initiate another risk in play that he knows the daimyo and there is bad blood; I lose privilege despite rolling 7D...
And it winds up the daimyo acted scared so the oni could save face... because the Oni is the clan protector.

The Ronin and his ashigaru charge the oni... and the Yojimbo blocks for the Oni. All sorts of fun.

They also continue from their to the next clan over to pick up her girls, and a new oba-san.
[ak][aramis]

Postby wunderworks » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:41 pm

This seriously sounds like a ton of fun! :)
Author of World of Dew a samurai noir sequel to John Wick's Blood & Honor

"Forbearance is the root of quietness and assurance forever. "
~ Tokugawa Ieyasu ~
wunderworks
Site Admin

Postby [ak][aramis] » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:57 pm

wunderworks wrote:This seriously sounds like a ton of fun! :)

One of the players isn't having fun. P's obsessing about historical Japan. He's also the one who couldn't get it through his head that, in our last game, scanning for pirates meant that there were going to BE pirates, despite everyone else pointing this out.

J is having fun, but still figuring out the setting. I think I'll just loan him my L5R 2E PG.

S is having fun, but isn't comfortable with the mechanics, but sees that they are getting interesting results.
[ak][aramis]

Postby wunderworks » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:51 am

[ak][aramis] wrote:

One of the players isn't having fun. P's obsessing about historical Japan. He's also the one who couldn't get it through his head that, in our last game, scanning for pirates meant that there were going to BE pirates, despite everyone else pointing this out.

J is having fun, but still figuring out the setting. I think I'll just loan him my L5R 2E PG.

S is having fun, but isn't comfortable with the mechanics, but sees that they are getting interesting results.

Wait did I miss that you're playing in the L5R setting? Tell P that you're playing in a Chanbarra film, not historical Japan, that might help him. ;)

~ Tokugawa Ieyasu ~
wunderworks
Site Admin

Postby [ak][aramis] » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:06 am

wunderworks wrote:
[ak][aramis] wrote:

Wait did I miss that you're playing in the L5R setting? Tell P that you're playing in a Chanbarra film, not historical Japan, that might help him. ;)

No, we are not in Rokugan. L5R 2E PG however, is the best written guide to Samurai for roleplay I've ever seen.

And P is not happy with the mechanics of B&H so far, either. He's aware of the differences.
[ak][aramis]

Postby wunderworks » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:45 am

So what does P like about the game? And what are his gripes? :)

~ Tokugawa Ieyasu ~
wunderworks
Site Admin

Next

Return to Blood and Honor: General Discussion