Changing the Aspect Maximum

Share and discuss the "house rules" of your own game and campaign.

Moderator: Snag

Changing the Aspect Maximum

Postby Soren Thayl » Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:03 am

I'm considering modifying the Aspect maximum in my games. Instead of being based on Wisdom, there would be a set number of bonus Aspects you could gain, which would be the same for all characters. The number isn't that important (though if you're interested, I'm thinking somewhere between 2 and 4), but I'm wondering how this will change the game. More specifically, why are the bonus Aspects based off of Wisdom? It seems that having a Wisdom weakness makes your character less well-defined, which doesn't seem to have anything to do with knowledge and learning. I'm also concerned that having a Wisdom weakness may be hindering the players too much, since it prevents them from defining their characters (through Aspects) and from defining the world (through Wisdom risks for background knowledge). While the latter is certainly a fair weakness, I question why the extent to which players can define their characters varies based on their character's Virtues.

Thoughts?
Soren Thayl

Re: Changing the Aspect Maximum

Postby Keith Fyans » Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:43 pm

I agree. I don't really see that as messing with the system. The Wisom thing never reeally worked when I ran campeign games as it limited the players ability to define the character, and I'm currently playing a Wisdom weak character and find that as there is les style floating about fom the narration pot I'm really loosing out on the number of Compels I have to drive for more Style.

If it did have to be tied to Wisdom it could have at least been Season Aspects +1 +1/2 Wisdom...
Glasgow Indie Gamers - Website ~ Facebook ~ Twitter
Keith Fyans

Return to The Rules of Your House