Dooms

Share and discuss the "house rules" of your own game and campaign.

Moderator: Snag

Dooms

Postby khelek » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:07 am

I am a Story Gamer at heart. A "Yes and-er..." We are nearing the end of our first year, and we have decided that we will play only four years, each repesenting a Season of the Vens' lives.

We also have artifacts. not tons, but enough. and dooms hanging above PC's heads. lots of them.

My problem is that I have difficulty saying Dooommm!!, and thus have the character fail. bah. falls flat to me. destorys the flow of the game, and makes me feel like an ass. I had my first Doom last session and it sucked.

so. solution:

Dooms: As discussed, Dooms are not about causing Failure. (the player retroactively rolling a Nine). But about terrible things happening to the wielder of the Sorcerer Kings' tools. So I now see Dooms as giving the GM the _Obligation_ to make something terrible happen to the character (and his friends) when the Doom occurs. Here are the guidelines for Dooms:
1. Sourced DOOM - The GM chooses one of the Artifacts (if the player has more than one) and describes a Doom thematically based on the ability or nature of the Artifact.
2. I'll Take Those: The roll stands (the character succeeds), but the GM takes the Player's wagers and spends them as he wills (adding them to his own if he desires). The Player gets Privilege (if he got Privilege prior to the Doom) and one free Wager to go with the Privilege.

Re: Dooms

Postby Keith Fyans » Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:48 pm

I had an idea:

Each Artifact has a stated "Doom" assigned by the narrator when the artifact is created. "A Blade will be your Doom", "Beware the House of the Serpent", "Eight Legs will be your downfall" etc...

Finding out the Doom of an artifact IC is a Wisdom Risk requiring a number of Wagers equal to the rank of the Artifact. Doom can be called once by the narrator when they could argue that one of the Dooms for an artifiact you are carrying applies. Your opponents gain a number of free dice to use against you equal to the total ranks Artifacts that you are carrying. That'll teach you for carrying a load of artifacts.

Example: I am wearing an Artifact mask (rank 1) with the Doom "You will meet a wattery grave" and a Bloodsword (rank 5) with the Doom "Death is a Lady". I get into a duel with Lord Snob and it takes place as the Storm rages about us, rain soaking us. I am doing well, but then Lord Sly leaps from the darkness with a dagger in hand in and makes it Mass Murder and the narrator calls "Doooooooooooom!!!" (as it is drenched scene). Both my opponents gains +6 Dice.

Thankfully I survive the experience (alot more hurt however), still tooled up with the same artifacts and the next story I am resting up when Lady Noa tries to start a romance with me. The narrator calls "Dooooooooom!!!" and she gains +6 Dice to use against me... I feel that I've just walked into a honney trap! That said, both my Dooms have now been called, so can't be used again.
Glasgow Indie Gamers - Website ~ Facebook ~ Twitter
Keith Fyans

Postby Keith Fyans » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:59 am

The other nasty way to do is is as above, but when the narrator calls "Dooom!!!" you loose a number of dice equal to the ranks of artifacts you are carrying...
Keith Fyans

Postby Bkwrm88 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:32 pm

The only problem with that is that the rules state that Ven are never to lose dice (except when Ikhalu (sp) comes into play). Of course, Narrators can change that rule, but I kind of like the fact that (almost) nothing can effect my dice pool.
A wise ruler ought never to keep faith when by doing so it would be against his interests.
Niccolo Machiavelli
Bkwrm88

Postby Keith Fyans » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:59 pm

My feeling was that the psychological effect of loosing dice conveys the seriousness of a Doom far better than simply saying "YOU FAIL!" as it is at present. As you say, nothing makes you loose dice, except maybe the Sorcerer-Kings perhaps...?
Keith Fyans

Postby wunderworks » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:24 am

Ahhh the Sorcerer Kings, if only I had more living characters to continue my story with...all the Suaven as little puppets for those well adjusted parents of theirs...that is not dead which can eternal lie...

:twisted:
Author of World of Dew a samurai noir sequel to John Wick's Blood & Honor

"Forbearance is the root of quietness and assurance forever. "
~ Tokugawa Ieyasu ~
wunderworks
Site Admin

Postby wastevens » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:58 am

Tsanuri wrote:I had an idea:

Each Artifact has a stated "Doom" assigned by the narrator when the artifact is created. "A Blade will be your Doom", "Beware the House of the Serpent", "Eight Legs will be your downfall" etc...

Finding out the Doom of an artifact IC is a Wisdom Risk requiring a number of Wagers equal to the rank of the Artifact. Doom can be called once by the narrator when they could argue that one of the Dooms for an artifiact you are carrying applies. Your opponents gain a number of free dice to use against you equal to the total ranks Artifacts that you are carrying. That'll teach you for carrying a load of artifacts.

I quite like this, and might propose it for my players :)
wastevens

Postby Keith Fyans » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:34 am

Why thank you - let us know how it goes for your group if they adopt it :D One thing I didn't mention is that a player could always set the doom themselves if they name the Item and make it one of the three truths. This gives you (as narator) a good signpost as to what the player wants tangled up in, eg:

Domina Talarai "Masked Indiscression"
Artifact Rank 2: Seductive, Face of Shadows
  • It is a thin crimson veil trimmed by silver chord and adorned with rubies
  • Its powers only work for female blooded ven with the Virtue of Beauty
  • To flirt with family is to flirt with Doom
Keith Fyans

Return to The Rules of Your House