Blood & Steam

Share and discuss the "house rules" of your own game and campaign.

Moderator: Snag

Blood & Steam

Postby wunderworks » Fri May 20, 2011 9:20 am

A variant steampunk rules setting for Blood & Tears. A friend is running a steampunk themed mini-con and was wanting a LARP to run at the end of the Con. I think B&T would work perfectly for just this sort of thing, but I'd want to throw a few things around a bit so that people could easily be set up in the various Houses under more familiar names.

What would you change for a one-shot game of steampunk B&T and what would you add /remove?

I was thinking of changing the Houses to Nationalities and those nations being Victorian Era Empires:

Great Britain
France
Austria/Hungary
Ottoman Empire
Russia
and who for the sixth?

Germany, Spain, Japan, Americans?

I can see the French as the Fox, the Serpents as the Ottomans, the British as the Elk or the Falcon, the Russian as the Bear, Wolves, or Falcon, the Austro-Hungarians as the Wolves.

What do the lot of you think? What do we do about guns? (Auto Rank Five injury?) Magic? Steampowered tech? :D
Author of World of Dew a samurai noir sequel to John Wick's Blood & Honor

"Forbearance is the root of quietness and assurance forever. "
~ Tokugawa Ieyasu ~
wunderworks
Site Admin

Re: Blood & Steam

Postby Bards-Tale » Sat May 21, 2011 11:49 am

wunderworks wrote:A variant steampunk rules setting for Blood & Tears. A friend is running a steampunk themed mini-con and was wanting a LARP to run at the end of the Con. I think B&T would work perfectly for just this sort of thing, but I'd want to throw a few things around a bit so that people could easily be set up in the various Houses under more familiar names.

What would you change for a one-shot game of steampunk B&T and what would you add /remove?

I was thinking of changing the Houses to Nationalities and those nations being Victorian Era Empires:

Great Britain
France
Austria/Hungary
Ottoman Empire
Russia
and who for the sixth?

Germany, Spain, Japan, Americans?

I can see the French as the Fox, the Serpents as the Ottomans, the British as the Elk or the Falcon, the Russian as the Bear, Wolves, or Falcon, the Austro-Hungarians as the Wolves.

What do the lot of you think? What do we do about guns? (Auto Rank Five injury?) Magic? Steampowered tech? :D

I can see the Serpents as Ottoman or Great Britain (but I can also see Great Britain as the Elks), and the idea of a mad scientist Serpent is just perfect :D
I agree with France being the Fox, Russia I would go with Bear because it is so fitting and classic, Wolf might also work with the Ottoman Empire. I don't know enough about Austria/Hungry during the Victorian Era to think what House they would be part of...
I would defiantly put America as the Sixth "House". Probably stick with Falcon as the American's cause even at our most formal state at that "point in time" we were still looked at as the back-woods of the world.
"Some men see things that are that ask 'why'. I see things that never were and ask 'why not'?"
Bards-Tale

Postby dogmirian » Sat May 21, 2011 1:48 pm

I might have gone with Prussia as the 6th house and been the wolves for they were a true force to be reckoned with.
France should defiantly be fox while Russia the bear and Britain the elk
The Ottoman's were looked upon with some disdain like the serpents so it makes good sense for them to be the serpents
And that leaves Austria to be the falcon

As for guns i would suggest keep them the same as swords but with range. it would only take a proper hit to deal a rank 5 injury just like with a sword. but of ypu want it to be more deadlier then just double all damage that you do. so a 1=2 a 3=6 and a 5=10

Steam tech is just like artifacts so run with that and if their is magic involved in the world you can add sorcery back in

for stuff to keep and stuff not to keep it all depends on the game you want to run.
if you want hair raising action with dauntless heroes and villains then get rid of lands and vassals that help with that sort of stuff and for politics, just have people for they to persuade into their own advantage
but if you want to keep all the politics that was happening and you want your characters to have power beyond just their persuasion then add them back in
dogmirian

Postby Keith Fyans » Sun May 22, 2011 3:44 am

Yeah, I'd make the final faction the US - they make for a great wild-card to throw into the mix!
Glasgow Indie Gamers - Website ~ Facebook ~ Twitter
Keith Fyans

Postby wunderworks » Sun May 22, 2011 10:23 am

Keith Fyans wrote:Yeah, I'd make the final faction the US - they make for a great wild-card to throw into the mix!

I do too! Maybe German States, America, Great Britain, France, Russia, and the Ottoman Empire. As in Wolves, Falcon, Elk, Fox, Bears, and Serpents. :)

I like the gun rule, and the idea of Steam being magic. :) How do we deal with Suaven?
Author of World of Dew a samurai noir sequel to John Wick's Blood & Honor

"Forbearance is the root of quietness and assurance forever. "
~ Tokugawa Ieyasu ~
wunderworks
Site Admin

Postby Keith Fyans » Tue May 24, 2011 2:48 pm

National Empowerment? Mother Russia, the German Fatherland, the Freedom of the US, the Ancient Mystery of the Ottaman East, The Burden of the British Empire, the Salons of France; all informing and empowering people different ways.

Or just drop them ;)
Glasgow Indie Gamers - Website ~ Facebook ~ Twitter
Keith Fyans

Postby PandaDad » Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:51 am

Let me go grab my copy of Pax Britannica for this...

PandaDad
PandaDad

Postby Astelle_Mwwr » Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:08 am

wunderworks wrote:I like the gun rule, and the idea of Steam being magic. :) How do we deal with Suaven?

How many Steampunk worlds have toyed with the idea of preserved brains attached to steam machinery to extend their lives? There's your Suaven. And I have a special request! Can you email me all the things you come up with!? I know a lot of steampunkers here who would love you forever!! saki.neko@yahoo.com
Baroness Astelle Ru "If I had made the Bargain, I would have given up my Poison... is it too late for that?"
Baroness Gwanal Yvarai
Baroness Olivama Steele
Astelle_Mwwr

Return to The Rules of Your House