Family and Season Actions...

One question per post, please!

Moderator: Snag

Family and Season Actions...

Postby TheDragonMaster » Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:16 pm

Now as we all know, your Spouse can take any action that you can in your Domain. But what of your children? Your Parents? Your Siblings? Do you have to have them as a contact to grant them the same ability?
TheDragonMaster

Re: Family and Season Actions...

Postby Nihilistic Mind » Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:25 pm

You have to make them a Vassal first, but the idea is that yes... They can. Well, at least Children, that is. Making them a Vassal is a Season Action and they act as a Spouse would. The Spouse comes for free (win!) but kids don't... They have to grow up first! ;)

I sort of doubt that Siblings and Parents would be able to do the same. It is more likely that they would be outside of the Player's control, other than assigning them as Contacts and such.
"Sparrow, I'll call you back. I've just gutted a man with a shard of wood and I need to make sure he's dead... I think you're right, Sparrow. I am a bad, bad man..."
~~Dr. Xander Crowe, WORMWOOD.
Nihilistic Mind
Site Admin

Postby TheDragonMaster » Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:29 am

So by making them a vassal, you're referring to making them a court scholar, or a herald, or something of the like. Or making them a Baron under you. Correct? In which case a sibling could fall to the same category... conceivably anyway.
TheDragonMaster

Postby Nihilistic Mind » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:07 am

I meant that making them a vassal that, much like the Spouse, would be able to undertake any season action the PC can undertake. The ambiguity being that there isn't a 'Child' vassal in the rules but that they should function similarly to the Spouse, and would be working under the PC's household (meaning that they don't need to be paid food at the end of the year, although bribing them isn't a bad idea).

I think that forgetting about the notion of a Child Vassal might be wise for the time being, until errata or additional clarification is given from an official source.
"Sparrow, I'll call you back. I've just gutted a man with a shard of wood and I need to make sure he's dead... I think you're right, Sparrow. I am a bad, bad man..."
Nihilistic Mind
Site Admin

Postby TheDragonMaster » Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:27 am

Ah. So you mean creating a new Vassal Type. A rules change. Okay, yeah I'm not looking to change the rules here, so then only the spouse get's actions in the nobles lands. Cool. :-)
TheDragonMaster

Postby Nihilistic Mind » Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:51 am

I'm afraid so. My thoughts were based on a conversation with John about the children and when they get to come into play. That's when he spoke of Children as Vassals. I think that you should stick to what's in the book though, unless he mentions something here. Since the book doesn't mention Children in the Season Actions chapter, I think you've grasped what needed to be grasped. :)

Didn't mean to create confusion, I promise!
Nihilistic Mind
Site Admin

Postby Keith Fyans » Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:20 pm

Children on pg. 273 :)
Glasgow Indie Gamers - Website ~ Facebook ~ Twitter
Keith Fyans

Postby TheDragonMaster » Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:27 pm

Though it doesn't say there whether the child can perform actions in your domain, so I guess they would have to be a contact to do so. Otherwise they would just have their own actions, which don't grant them actions related to your domain and vassals.
TheDragonMaster

Postby Nihilistic Mind » Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:39 pm

I'm actually glad it's in the book (sorry guys, sometimes it's hard to piece together what came from the book and what came from things John said).

The Vassal name is "Son" or "Daughter", and it seems to be working absolutely the same as a "Spouse" Vassal. No need for it to be a contact and no need to be paying them a Food Resource at the end of the year.

Which reminds me, Arisaph Steele needs more kids...
Nihilistic Mind
Site Admin

Postby TheDragonMaster » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:52 pm

You know what, I didn't even catch that about their season Actions. Cool!
TheDragonMaster

Next

Return to Frequently Asked Questions