Vassals and multiple/incomplete provinces

One question per post, please!

Moderator: Snag

Vassals and multiple/incomplete provinces

Postby babayaga » Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:17 am

You can have at most one vassal of a given type per province (see Common questions, p.280). This still raises a few doubts in the case of multiple provinces and/or "incomplete" provinces (ones without the ten full regions). Let's go in order.

1. If I have fifteen regions - one "full" province and five regions in a partially explored province outside it - can I have two bands of Roadmen, one for the "full" province and one for the "half" province?

2. If the answer is no, it seems reasonable that my (single) band of Roadmen can operate in any of my regions. But if the answer is yes, can I use the Roadmen from my "full" province in the "half" province and viceversa (say, to quell trouble)?

3. More in general, if I have 2 or more completely explored provinces, and one band of Roadmen in each, can I use all the Roadmen bands in any province of my domain - in particular concentrating all their activities into a single province in a particular season - or is a vassal "tied" to a single province so to speak?

4. Do the answers above change for other types of vassals? Perhaps Roadmen and Heralds can move around, but Seneschals and Sheriffs can not?
babayaga

Re: Vassals and multiple/incomplete provinces

Postby JohnWick » Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:12 pm

1) Yes, you can have two bands of Roadmen.
2) No, they cannot swtich between Provinces.
3) Your vassals are tied to a specific Province, so no, you cannot move them about.
The Reverend John Wick, PhD, D.M., KoAL, G.M., ST, Narr., G.A.M.E.R., Master Mason
JohnWick
Site Admin

Postby Nihilistic Mind » Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:58 pm

4. A Seneschal can quell trouble within your Domain... (That means any province within your domain, which is weird since you can have one Seneschal per Province.)
"Sparrow, I'll call you back. I've just gutted a man with a shard of wood and I need to make sure he's dead... I think you're right, Sparrow. I am a bad, bad man..."
~~Dr. Xander Crowe, WORMWOOD.
Nihilistic Mind
Site Admin

Postby babayaga » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:37 am

I'd say that, of all vassals, Seneschals are some of the most "tied" to the land... so I'd read that "anywhere in your domain" as "in any region of their province".

On the other hand, if vassals are tied to one province only, does it mean that roadmen cannot explore new regions once "their" province is "complete"? It would also seem to imply that you may not have your personal guard or spy network or herald operate in someone else's province ... hmmm ....
babayaga

Postby babayaga » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:07 am

Perhaps this can be a "clean" solution:

For every noble, only one vassal of a given type (e.g. herald, personal guard, seneschal) can be active in any one province, whether that province belongs to the noble or not. A vassal becomes active in a province upon taking a domain action for their liege in that province, and remains active until leaving the service of their liege (dying certainly qualifies as "leaving").
babayaga

Postby jeffszusz » Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:27 pm

Cleaner Answer: Offer your Narrator some Style when you ask questions like this.

Or better yet, instead of trying to quell trouble, suggest to your Narrator that you'd like to personally lead both of your bands of Roadmen to handle the trouble 'on screen' and invite the other PC's to go with you. Maybe he'll let you do it without using season actions!
jeffszusz

Postby JohnWick » Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:47 am

babayaga wrote:Perhaps this can be a "clean" solution:

For every noble, only one vassal of a given type (e.g. herald, personal guard, seneschal) can be active in any one province, whether that province belongs to the noble or not. A vassal becomes active in a province upon taking a domain action for their liege in that province, and remains active until leaving the service of their liege (dying certainly qualifies as "leaving").

There's only need of a solution if there's a problem.

I don't see any problem. A Seneschal is a unique vassal. Your right-hand man. There's a reason he's so powerful. The rest of the Vassals just aren't as cool as him.

The rules work the way they are.
The Reverend John Wick, PhD, D.M., KoAL, G.M., ST, Narr., G.A.M.E.R., Master Mason
JohnWick
Site Admin

Postby babayaga » Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:21 am

JohnWick wrote:I don't see any problem. A Seneschal is a unique vassal.

Ah, here's the rub. I thought that you could have 1 Seneschal/province, like all other "hired" vassals (i.e. not your spouse); after all you can have 1 staff/province, right?

On the other hand I'm still not sure how many (if any) of your vassals of a given type can operate in a single province *outside* your domain, in a given period of time. I'm talking about spy networks, Masters of the Road (exploring), or secret armies.

Thank you folks for all your replies!
babayaga

Return to Frequently Asked Questions