Vassals and Romance

One question per post, please!

Moderator: Snag

Vassals and Romance

Postby Rob Justice » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:27 am

Forgive if this has been asked already... How does a Narrator handle Romance with another player's Vassal, specifically their Spouse. She's not an official NPC so I feel like giving her proper stats would be cheating other players since their Spouses are only Vassals and now this guy gets a free NPC Spouse. If I just go off her Rank then she only has two dice to make Risks with and the Romance isn't going to be worth squat story wise and won't likely build into anything interesting. I think its really interesting that a player is going after another player's spouse but I'm a little confused on how I should handle this mechanically. I've considered just using the other player's stats to base his spouse on until such a time that she becomes and NPC but I'm not sure about that either...

Thoughts?
Rob Justice

Re: Vassals and Romance

Postby Nihilistic Mind » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:56 am

Make the Player wait until she's an NPC. Alternately, if he has the Husband PC as a contact, he can spend one season action per season training her into an NPC...

If you make one Spouse an NPC, you might as well make all of them NPCs... Ask your players :)
"Sparrow, I'll call you back. I've just gutted a man with a shard of wood and I need to make sure he's dead... I think you're right, Sparrow. I am a bad, bad man..."
~~Dr. Xander Crowe, WORMWOOD.
Nihilistic Mind
Site Admin

Postby Rob Justice » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:46 am

Nihilistic Mind wrote:Make the Player wait until she's an NPC. Alternately, if he has the Husband PC as a contact, he can spend one season action per season training her into an NPC...

But that doesn't seem like fun.. I mean... I WANT my player to get into a Romance with another player's spouse. Thats freaking gold waiting to be mined.

Nihilistic Mind wrote:If you make one Spouse an NPC, you might as well make all of them NPCs... Ask your players :)

I have seventeen players... making them all NPCs is way more work then I want to do...
Rob Justice

Postby Nihilistic Mind » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:53 am

Ok, that's fair.

The Spouse has a name (and maybe even a Secret Name that applies), and if it's a rank 2 Spouse she must have a couple of Aspects, hopefully one of those can be used.

That's a potential of 8 dice (Rank 2 + Name 1 + Secret Name 2 + Aspect 3), or even three more if she's an Yvarai and you allow Family name as a Free Aspect...

If that doesn't work, give the Spouse a stat in Beauty only... Have the Player establish what her Beauty Stat is with a Style point, and since she's not an NPC, offer it to the Husband player.

How's that? :)
"Sparrow, I'll call you back. I've just gutted a man with a shard of wood and I need to make sure he's dead... I think you're right, Sparrow. I am a bad, bad man..."
Nihilistic Mind
Site Admin

Postby Rob Justice » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:09 am

Here's where this all starts breaking down. Her name is Aby: “the river’s memory”. Doesn't sound very romantic to me. She's a Wolf so no luck on the family stuff. The player hasn't provided any aspects for her so I guess I could rule that by not writing any he leaves it open for me to write some.

I do like the idea of having the player trying to start a romance spend a style point to determine her Beauty stat and offering that style to the spouse's player...

I guess I could always just have her open with all her dice spent as wagers and fail the roll making her the predator for the start.... Does that would work mechanically?
Rob Justice

Postby Nihilistic Mind » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:32 am

"The River's Memory" is a perfectly romantic name... Just make sure the scene is set near a river... Romantic setting... Oh, and have the Player or the Spouse Tag a Scene Aspect (Romantic Setting) for two bonus dice. Gardens also help and can be tagged for bonus dice.

Just make sure the Spouse beats a 10 and has the rest of her dice put into the Romance's Potential Wager pool.

For a PC to NPC Romance, we usually just do one big Beauty Risk, rather than the elaborate Roll after each die is Wagered, to make things easier.
Nihilistic Mind
Site Admin

Postby Keith Fyans » Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:25 am

Personally we've just added stats as and when they were needed and used them under the No Wankers rule. The stats are given early for specific story fun that everyone is kosher with. Make the stats on the basis they are for interaction with a specific part of story and vanish thereafter - the Vassal is a bit-part in the grand scheme at that point and is being used to further anothers story - but may become more Important later. I can think of a tone of examples where this happens (Tale of Genjii being one).

Looking in the Cabal thread for Tir Torigh examples include Nieve, who was fully fleshed out for a single Story and is pledged to become Master of the Road for Rafaet, and will assume the mantle once she has healed from her injuries and grief for her fallen band (ie: once Olaf pays for a NPC). The same can be said of Senvu, who while on his own has been temp-NPC'ed but once back in the personal guard unit he is from will be another face in the ranks (again, that is until he is NPC'ed).
Glasgow Indie Gamers - Website ~ Facebook ~ Twitter
Keith Fyans

Postby Rob Justice » Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:16 am

Ok, here's what I ended up doing.

The Spouse rolled her Rank (2) for her Beauty score, didn't tag her name (The scene was already set, I couldn't justify it), but did tag the scene with an Aspect of "Romantic Music". So she had four dice going into it. Since the player went retarded and put three wagers forward she had enough to match but failed her roll making her the Predator. Since its Spring and at a Rank 4 Party... they have a pretty huge Romance going now.

The one thing I thought of was tagging one of the player's aspects. I couldn't find anywhere that said Scene Aspects are Free so I assumed they fall under the 1 Invoke, 1 Tag rule. Was this correct or are Scene Aspects Free Aspects?
Rob Justice

Postby JohnWick » Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:37 am

Scene Aspects are Free Aspects. :)
The Reverend John Wick, PhD, D.M., KoAL, G.M., ST, Narr., G.A.M.E.R., Master Mason
JohnWick
Site Admin

Postby Nihilistic Mind » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:57 am

Yup, setting and using Scene Aspects is one of the most important tools when it comes to 'getting more dice for Risks'.
Nihilistic Mind
Site Admin

Next

Return to Frequently Asked Questions