Vassals and Romance

One question per post, please!

Moderator: Snag

Re: Vassals and Romance

Postby Keith Fyans » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:03 am

ASIDE:

JohnWick wrote:Scene Aspects are Free Aspects

I thought it costs 2 Style to intro the Aspect & the first person to use it gets it free (then 1 Style thereafter).

I think that is a little off, as if you pay 2 Style then someone else tags it you have to pay a third point (not a problem in the Friendly game, even though the math is off, but it is in the Cut-throat).

In non-LS games I just have it costing one Style to introduce + you always tag it for free (as the benefit of setting the trend). Everyone else still Tags it with 1 Style.
Glasgow Indie Gamers - Website ~ Facebook ~ Twitter
Keith Fyans

Postby Rob Justice » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:54 am

Tsanuri wrote:ASIDE:

JohnWick wrote:Scene Aspects are Free Aspects

I thought it costs 2 Style to intro the Aspect & the first person to use it gets it free (then 1 Style thereafter).

I think that is a little off, as if you pay 2 Style then someone else tags it you have to pay a third point (not a problem in the Friendly game, even though the math is off, but it is in the Cut-throat).

In non-LS games I just have it costing one Style to introduce + you always tag it for free (as the benefit of setting the trend). Everyone else still Tags it with 1 Style.

I don't see what it being a Free Aspect (IE: Not counting towards the limit of 1 Tag per Risk) has to do with the cost. But the easy solution is to be sure to be the first to tag it. Which makes sense to me. You spend two then get the first use free (as the benefit for setting the trend) but after the trend is set it costs you just like it costs everyone else.
Rob Justice

Postby Keith Fyans » Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:26 pm

Fair point, but the cost doesn't seem fair.
Glasgow Indie Gamers - Website ~ Facebook ~ Twitter
Keith Fyans

Postby jeffszusz » Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:19 am

I think the advantage of having the first person who tags the scene get the tag for free is that it works like this:

PC#1, playing Lord Thrifty, has 13 Style points in front of him that he hasn't yet used, because he's been playing it safe.

Baron Big Spender has no style left, and desperately needs some more dice to initiate a Romance.

Thrifty bids a servant to light some candles and begins to play on the piano at the end of the hall. Thrifty's player spends 2 style, declares the room now has a Romantic Atmosphere, and Big Spender gets additional dice for his Romance roll without having to spend any Style (which he has none of!)

Conclusion: If you want to be the first to tag the aspect, spend your style to set the scene right before you are going to tag it. The rules as written don't necessarily mean someone can steal the tag from you: they allow you to purposely set the scene for someone else!

Granted, the GM could say "You already took an action to light the barn on fire, you can't go again", but I say bollox to that, the guy just spent two style points :P
jeffszusz

Postby khelek » Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:30 pm

Its stranghow different groups get different balances.

As a group we almost never use the Scene Aspects (as GM, I rarely think of them). Generally it seems we focus allot on small elements of the setting (one bush, one item the Ven is holding) or the general area.

I guess we have so many aspects that it is not a major deal.

In regards to Robs question (which I realize is long answered and played, oh yeah 11 players? wtf? I refuse to have more than 5, and I can feel the "tightness" of games shift when I have 3 or 4 players instead of the full complete set.). anways like Tsanuri said, we have assigned Attributes, aspects, and other addenda as needed. Then recorded it. We have had some Minor characters become Major NPCs, and many of them came with lots of aspects and stats.

for example Rob, if a player is starting a Romance with this npc, then they will likely become a Major NPC soon. causing all sorts of havoc. so why not assign her some stats, and an Aspect. the Aspect so assigned should have had somethign to do with being in a romance and a marriage. at the same time (Aspect: My husband forgets himself; Aspect: Embraces Risque oppertunities! whatever) after all that is what is making this character important. all my NPCs have aspects that are immediately applicable.

Anyways I like more detial about NPCs, especially when a player is acting and telling me what they want that NPC to act against.
khelek

Postby Nihilistic Mind » Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:45 pm

khelek wrote:all my NPCs have aspects that are immediately applicable.

This reminds me so much of Rorak Burghe... The NPC "built" (details set by the players, mind you, with the use of 11 style points or so) to be in a Romance with one of our PCs. Completely insane Romance Rank and Potential. Ahh, the memories... :)
"Sparrow, I'll call you back. I've just gutted a man with a shard of wood and I need to make sure he's dead... I think you're right, Sparrow. I am a bad, bad man..."
~~Dr. Xander Crowe, WORMWOOD.
Nihilistic Mind
Site Admin

Postby Paint Scribe » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:28 pm

which are being replayed currently!

yeah, Fabien thought Rorak was a minor character.... Then we all got involved.

JWP's Layout Lady & Author of Crimson Sorrow: A podcast history of the Ven
Paint Scribe
Site Admin

Postby Nihilistic Mind » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:02 pm

One of the many reasons why I love this game! :D
"Sparrow, I'll call you back. I've just gutted a man with a shard of wood and I need to make sure he's dead... I think you're right, Sparrow. I am a bad, bad man..."
~~Dr. Xander Crowe, WORMWOOD.
Nihilistic Mind
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Frequently Asked Questions