Privilege in Contested Risks

One question per post, please!

Moderator: Snag

Privilege in Contested Risks

Postby hans otterson » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:01 pm

So, winning Privilege in a Risk means I as a player get to state whether or not my character succeeds in her intention.

But pp 120-121 seem to say (without making it clear) that in a contested risk, Privilege simply means that my character succeeds in her intention.

Is this true, or does Privilege work the same in both normal risks and contested risks? I.e., if I as a player win Privilege in a contested risk, can I still state that my character does not succeed in her intention? Or does Privilege mean a different thing here?
hans otterson

Re: Privilege in Contested Risks

Postby Nihilistic Mind » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:04 pm

In a Contested Risk, you still get to state whether your character succeeds or fails if you win privilege.
"Sparrow, I'll call you back. I've just gutted a man with a shard of wood and I need to make sure he's dead... I think you're right, Sparrow. I am a bad, bad man..."
~~Dr. Xander Crowe, WORMWOOD.
Nihilistic Mind
Site Admin

Postby hans otterson » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:23 pm

Awesome, thanks! The example in the text basically says, "I win Privilege so my character succeeds."

It would have made a world of difference to say, "I win Privilege so I decide that my character succeeds." Without that it totally confuses the issue.
hans otterson

Postby Nihilistic Mind » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:50 pm

Of course, understandable. John should bookmark that page for a slight change. I'll try to remind him. :)
"Sparrow, I'll call you back. I've just gutted a man with a shard of wood and I need to make sure he's dead... I think you're right, Sparrow. I am a bad, bad man..."
~~Dr. Xander Crowe, WORMWOOD.
Nihilistic Mind
Site Admin

Return to Frequently Asked Questions