Basic Manuever Q

One question per post, please!

Moderator: Snag

Basic Manuever Q

Postby hans otterson » Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:22 am

How do Manuevers work, really?

The book says nothing about choosing your maneuvers in secret, which would seem to be a prerequisite for any kind of tactics--I mean, if your friend goes all Feint on you, you're always going to choose Recover, unless that Feint was hidden from you.

Maybe it's just hard to pull my mind out of Burning Wheel's Fight! and Duel of Wits mechanics.

Is it not really supposed to be tactical?
hans otterson

Re: Basic Manuever Q

Postby Nihilistic Mind » Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:56 am

You can use more than one maneuver per beat.

Try to go through a fake duel between two experienced swordsmen (i.e. with a few advanced maneuvers) and see how it works.

I'm considering doing a step-by-step outline demonstrating a lot of how a duel works before I run the demo game at my FLGS next month.
If I do, I'll post things on the forum.

You'll find that the dueling mechanics are a little awkward at first and it takes characters a long time to build the maneuvers to make it a complicated and tactical risk. For experienced swordsman characters, it really gets there, with many wagers to spend each beat on maneuvers, etc.
"Sparrow, I'll call you back. I've just gutted a man with a shard of wood and I need to make sure he's dead... I think you're right, Sparrow. I am a bad, bad man..."
~~Dr. Xander Crowe, WORMWOOD.
Nihilistic Mind
Site Admin

Postby Keith Fyans » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:23 am

That would be appriciated as my group has been playing HotB for over a year, most of us own coppies of the rules, and none of us feel sure about how Duels work.

It just feels strange that wagers are so limited and that Cunning (rather than Prowess) determies how good a swordsman you become. However, that is a bmatter for the House Rules forum.
Glasgow Indie Gamers - Website ~ Facebook ~ Twitter
Keith Fyans

Postby Nihilistic Mind » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:31 am

Alright, I'll get together with Ben and run through it, trying to hit every possible insane combination of maneuvers we can think of, and have John read it over for confirmation.
"Sparrow, I'll call you back. I've just gutted a man with a shard of wood and I need to make sure he's dead... I think you're right, Sparrow. I am a bad, bad man..."
~~Dr. Xander Crowe, WORMWOOD.
Nihilistic Mind
Site Admin

Postby hans otterson » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:37 am

Tsanuri wrote:It just feels strange that wagers are so limited and that Cunning (rather than Prowess) determies how good a swordsman you become.

Wait. How does Cunning have more impact on how good a Swordsman you are than Prowess?
hans otterson

Postby Keith Fyans » Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:20 am

Cunning = # Season Actions = # of Manuevers you learn

I would use a house rule of starting with Injure 1 + a number of Manuever ranks equal to half your Prowess (to give a starting boost to those with High Prowess).
Glasgow Indie Gamers - Website ~ Facebook ~ Twitter
Keith Fyans

Postby wunderworks » Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:32 am

Tsanuri wrote:Cunning = # Season Actions = # of Manuevers you learn

I would use a house rule of starting with Injure 1 + a number of Manuever ranks equal to half your Prowess (to give a starting boost to those with High Prowess).

I'd have to check the book, but I think you're limited to two potential Manuevers a Season: One that you learn, and one taught to you by your Swordsman. But, yes, a Low Cunning ven will have a harder time learning more maneuvers.

My House rule (when I run a second campaign) will be that you can buy 2 or 3 points of Maneuvers per bonus point spent in character creation. :)
Author of World of Dew a samurai noir sequel to John Wick's Blood & Honor

"Forbearance is the root of quietness and assurance forever. "
~ Tokugawa Ieyasu ~
wunderworks
Site Admin

Return to Frequently Asked Questions