Banking Style

One question per post, please!

Moderator: Snag

Re: Banking Style

Postby Rob Justice » Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:11 pm

I have a friend who was joking about Strength:

"Its almost like HotB just reverses the D&D attribute importance. In D&D, most of the time Charisma is you're dump stat but now in HotB its Strenght. hahaha"
Rob Justice

Postby Alexai Adrente » Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:19 pm

Between a character's sword (not a good, but a weapon) and the Valet retainer, I have found you can bank enough style to stay on par with the rest of the players. So far I have found that most characters generally have less than their basic 5 style at the end of a session, let alone the 11 or so you can get with a rank 3 sword and rank 3 Valet Vassal.

Alexai
"One may know how to gain a victory, and know not how to use it."
Alexai Adrente

Postby Snag » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:50 am

Back on this riff for a moment, as it pertains to Goods.

I was doing some idle browsing through Season actions again, when I noticed the actual wording of the 'Beauty and Style' rule.

(Seasons, ch 10, p 246)

"But fashion is fickle and it's ever so easy to overdo it. So, be careful. you can only wear a number of Goods equal to your Beauty."

Which, now that I think about it, can make a certain measure of sense. It doesn't say you can only bank as much Style in Goods as you have Beauty, but rather, you can only have a number of Goods equal to the Beauty rank for the purpose of banking Style.

So, say you have a Beauty of 3. You may have three items to bank Style in, but those items can have whichever rank they were crafted at, and contain the full amount of style. Hat 1, cloak 3, boots 2 = 6 Style.

Does this sound like the intent, or are we sticking with, "Bank that style, just keep your Style on you,"?
Snag, O.T.D.O
Caffeine enabler
Blooded of the Raven? No? Damnation.

My Plains produce Win!
Snag

Postby Incubus » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:57 am

Snag, this is a Excellent point!

I am wondering is there is a difference between BANKING and CARRING Style around....

If you can BANK Style in People (Yourself/Valet-Maid), Goods (Sword, Hat, Gloves, cloaks), Art (Statue, painting, etc...), etc....those are just STORAGE LOCATIONS.

On yourself, you could carry and have access to your Personal 5, your Sword (1-3) and your Valet-Maid (1-3), and Goods depending on your BEAUTY....So Fashion sense (Beauty) has a certain ON HAND importance.....

<thinking out loud...>
Incubus

Postby Rob Justice » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:08 am

It seems that you are forgetting that banking style only matters in-between games. There is no limit to the amount of Style you can have on you at any given time, but how much style you can keep with you between games.

You don't carry style with you, you ALWAYS have access to it. Its only important in so much as how much style you can keep between games.
Rob Justice

Postby Ashkelion-Yvarai » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:30 am

robjustice wrote:You don't carry style with you, you ALWAYS have access to it. Its only important in so much as how much style you can keep between games.

Not quite true. The person banking your style must be in the same region as you are (description of Valet/Maid vassal). Therefore you could say: you really can carry around only as many items as you possess beauty, but you could store an unlimited amount of items within the same region. Each item banking style. If you leave a good or item at home, it can still bank style, you just cannot access that style until you return home again.

That way, the initial rule would make sense. You can still carry over style points in art, goods and maybe even artifacts. But you can only access what is within the same region as you are.
"No rulebook has deserved the name 'rules bible' more than 'Houses of the Blooded'." (a friend about all the discussions, corrections and additions to the HotB rules on the forums and in our gaming group)
Ashkelion-Yvarai

Postby Rob Justice » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:40 am

Except that on Page. 111 it says:

"Your ven can carry as much Style as he wants, but he cannot keep all of it between adventures."

Under the description of Banking Style.

So, John. Which is it? Can you only use style you have banked within the same region as you or is Banking style only a means of carrying style between games?
Rob Justice

Postby Ashkelion-Yvarai » Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:04 am

I would say, banking style is a means of carrying over style from one session to the next. But if you have banked style into items that are not in the same region as you are at the beginning of the next session, you only can access the style that is banked within yourself (up to 5 points) and those of your items and valet/maid in the same region as you are. The rest is banked, but can only be accessed after entering the region the items are in.

(I am not sure, if I am stating my point clearly :oops: )
"No rulebook has deserved the name 'rules bible' more than 'Houses of the Blooded'." (a friend about all the discussions, corrections and additions to the HotB rules on the forums and in our gaming group)
Ashkelion-Yvarai

Postby Incubus » Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:23 am

Well, I feel I understand your point...
Incubus

Postby Rob Justice » Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:46 am

Ashkelion-Yvarai wrote:I would say, banking style is a means of carrying over style from one session to the next. But if you have banked style into items that are not in the same region as you are at the beginning of the next session, you only can access the style that is banked within yourself (up to 5 points) and those of your items and valet/maid in the same region as you are. The rest is banked, but can only be accessed after entering the region the items are in.

(I am not sure, if I am stating my point clearly :oops: )

Little wordy, but I get what you're saying ;)
Rob Justice

PreviousNext

Return to Frequently Asked Questions