Recognition in the Senate

One question per post, please!

Moderator: Snag

Recognition in the Senate

Postby Corone » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:13 am

Quick question that may just prove I havn't read things properly! :)

On p67 it says that to raise an issue in the Senate you must be recognised by 3 people who outrank you.

If this is the case, does it not then become harder for higher ranked nobles to voice their concerns? There are, after all, less people above each rank to convince.

It must also make things extreemly difficult for Dukes to speak as they need to convince 3 Earls, and impossible for an Earl to speak.

I'm sure I've missed something here, as this seems a bit screwy.
can someone point where I've gone wrong?
Corone

Re: Recognition in the Senate

Postby khelek » Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:14 pm

sounds like one of the problems with Ven Law that the Author spoke of (Author is the narrator that talks to us, John Wick who is not John wick,but is!). Problems that he could have fixed for the game, but chose not too.

I would use it as written and discuss ways to get around it, ignore it, and screw people with it! Use a Cunning Risk... it is true, but you may speak if XXX. Or maybe: Earls don't speak in Senate, but rather they get patsies to do it for them... "who is the Marquis of Deneth speaking for!?" Also it is a way to assure there is no High King ever again.

Fun!

Postby Snag » Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:18 pm

Also, the higher ranked someone is, the less inclined that the next step in the chain of command is going to want to antagonize them unnecessarily. If you have a duke asking to speak, the Earls aren't going to tell 'im to sod off, unless he's done something to miff more than half of them.

The ven Senate is kind of like, (to steal a phrase), Congress with a two drink minimum. Most of the time, three people will call on an unknown just to see what happens and alleviate the boredom.

Bear in mind, at some point there's going to be mechanics for the Senate in the forseeable future, so this all may be subject to change. Y'know, that dude floating around here somewhere that wrote all this. XD
Snag, O.T.D.O
Caffeine enabler
Blooded of the Raven? No? Damnation.

My Plains produce Win!
Snag

Postby Alexai Adrente » Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:24 pm

There is also mention of the Duke's Council, which from what I gather is what actually runs the senate. They appear to take care of the day to day business, if any, and only when something of import do they bring it up before the whole Senate.
So, it's at these whole senate meetings, where anyone below the rank of a Duke (which an Earl is just the First amongst Equals of Dukes within their House) must require 3 members of higher rank to recognize them to speak.

that's what I've gotten from reading the book.

Alexai
"One may know how to gain a victory, and know not how to use it."
Alexai Adrente

Postby Corone » Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:01 am

That does make a lot of sense, thanks guys.

Thinking about it, given Ven hypocracy, it suspect the rules work if the Senate is kinda an 'old boy's club'. Certain people of high rank will know that just by standing up they will be automatically recognised by the right people. Possibly even when someone else is speaking!

It might make sense that the Earls never speak, as Ven law assumes they are too busy running the country to actually take part in politics.
However, certain Dukes are considered to be speaking on their behalf.
Such a Duke gets a primer of what the Earl might wish 'brought to council' before the meeting.
This wouldn't be advertised, as far as the Senate is officially concerned, the Duke is speaking for themselves. So you'd best know who is really speaking or you could be in a lot of trouble.
Corone

Postby JohnWick » Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:34 am

Corone wrote:That does make a lot of sense, thanks guys.

Thinking about it, given Ven hypocracy, it suspect the rules work if the Senate is kinda an 'old boy's club'. Certain people of high rank will know that just by standing up they will be automatically recognised by the right people. Possibly even when someone else is speaking!

That's exactly correct. There's very little "fair" or "just" in the ven Senate. It's about who you know and who owes you.
The Reverend John Wick, PhD, D.M., KoAL, G.M., ST, Narr., G.A.M.E.R., Master Mason
JohnWick
Site Admin

Postby wunderworks » Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:19 pm

Corone wrote:That does make a lot of sense, thanks guys.

It might make sense that the Earls never speak, as Ven law assumes they are too busy running the country to actually take part in politics.
However, certain Dukes are considered to be speaking on their behalf.
Such a Duke gets a primer of what the Earl might wish 'brought to council' before the meeting.
This wouldn't be advertised, as far as the Senate is officially concerned, the Duke is speaking for themselves. So you'd best know who is really speaking or you could be in a lot of trouble.

And think of all those poor guys who've been speakin' for Earl when he gets too big for his britches and has be Ex Sanguinated right there in the streets. They're all going to be finding cover as boys in black, Bobs me NEW Uncle Earl, or dancing the jig off the short peer into the Bay of Sharks.

Hehe, kinda makes you cry a little doesn't - tears of joy that is. ^_^
Author of World of Dew a samurai noir sequel to John Wick's Blood & Honor

"Forbearance is the root of quietness and assurance forever. "
~ Tokugawa Ieyasu ~
wunderworks
Site Admin

Postby TheDuchess » Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:06 pm

We're about to deal with this is our little puppet show. It is not going to be pretty as the island barons that I oversee go about getting recognized for a Revenge. Seeing as they are all barons though, the rule of three higher than them should be easy enough......should be.....
TheDuchess

Return to Frequently Asked Questions