Romance, Liasons and Revenge.

One question per post, please!

Moderator: Snag

Romance, Liasons and Revenge.

Postby Snag » Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:14 am

This is for a scheme I'm beginning to cobble together. Bear with me, 'cause this may get a touch convoluted.

Let us look at two random ven, Lord Maja and Lady Isla, married to one another. Maja ends up having a Romance that proceeds right on into Liason. The husband of his lover declares Revenge and loses the fight to Maja. But before Isla can claim Injury against the lover, Maja's lover reveals that their tryst resulted in The Big No-no: Illigetimate offspring.

There are outlines of the assorted reprecussions for Liasons and so forth, but it doesn't say what happens if someone commits parenthood with their lover. What would the appropriate penalty for this? The whole 'flog, castrate, disembowel, draw and quarter and drag the ashes through the streets' from the beginning of the Romance section, or perma-banned and wearing Black, or what?
Snag, O.T.D.O
Caffeine enabler
Blooded of the Raven? No? Damnation.

My Plains produce Win!
Snag

Re: Romance, Liasons and Revenge.

Postby khelek » Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:08 pm

Unoffical Replay:

Seems that both Isa and the Defeated Husband have the right to Declare Revenge/True Pain. As wel as any children they may have (their inheritances is put into Jeopardy!). Also maybe the Lover's brothers and sisters against Mara (for tarnishing their Family) and Mara's Brothers and Sisters for seducing a member their family. Likely if I was a Baron, Swordsman, or courtier I would start duels with the two since they will be isolated from overt help and if I can cut one of them down I will get kudos, help, and connections witht he aggrieved parties! and I would want to be first to plung the sword since there would have to be others after them like a Sorcerer King to Ven Blood!

Revenge, Duels, Assassinations!

Iluka would approve.

Of course I am sure that their neighboring Dukes would not cross into their Lands just because their attrention is elsewhere!

Postby adidasfiend » Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:17 pm

There is no inheritance per say so the kids should have no qualm over that aspect. The children "take" may try to take a province held by their parents, how much resistance is discrectionary but there is no legal inheritance according the section on ven society in the book.
adidasfiend

Postby Snag » Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:19 pm

The inheritance issue, I have worked out in my head. It's mostly the societal/legal penalties that I'm lookin' for here.
Snag, O.T.D.O
Caffeine enabler

My Plains produce Win!
Snag

Postby Snag » Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:53 pm

F'rinstance, I'm having the theory that the Lord would end up being executed in a spectacularly messy fashion, and I'm toying with the notion of the wife taking the black in shame for her husband's dalliance. Does this sound in keeping with the way they behave, or am I missing an aspect of the legal/social taboos involved somewhere?
Snag, O.T.D.O
Caffeine enabler

My Plains produce Win!
Snag

Postby khelek » Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:52 pm

Why should She go into Shame?

If I was her I would have him murdered/killed ina Duel, his lover slain, and then find a new husband which will do as he is told... likely her current Romance.

Postby Snag » Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:57 pm

khelek wrote:Why should She go into Shame?

If I was her I would have him murdered/killed ina Duel, his lover slain, and then find a new husband which will do as he is told... likely her current Romance.

I was kind of thinking that myself, but there's another factor in here that I'm not explaining right off the bat. But, it's a non issue - I've just thought of an even better way to go about what I wanted to do. Thanks!
Snag, O.T.D.O
Caffeine enabler

My Plains produce Win!
Snag

Postby Snag » Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:53 pm

No wait, I lied! Any notions on what would be done with the bastard sprog? My internal live-or-die meter is caught in the throes of a split decision.
Snag, O.T.D.O
Caffeine enabler

My Plains produce Win!
Snag

Postby JohnWick » Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:33 am

A lot of your question can be answered with, "What can you get away with?"

I'm sorry to be so vague, but the question is kind of vague as well. When you run the game with characters and NPCs and other circumstances, your question will answer itself when all parties involved ask the question, "What can I get away with?"
The Reverend John Wick, PhD, D.M., KoAL, G.M., ST, Narr., G.A.M.E.R., Master Mason
JohnWick
Site Admin

Postby Snag » Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:43 am

Nar, no worries. I was looking more for group reactions that I could then average out, or simply use whichever one best struck my fancy. The most dramatically appropriate, rather than strictly a rules/ven law intrepretation. I've got a basic idea in my head, but my idea isn't the only one.

And my apologies for the vague - I'll be clarifying the whyfors of all the skullduggery in the near future!
Snag, O.T.D.O
Caffeine enabler

My Plains produce Win!
Snag

Return to Frequently Asked Questions