Liasons an Marriage

One question per post, please!

Moderator: Snag

Liasons an Marriage

Postby Bazzalisk » Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:12 am

The side-bar on page 227 says that whilst having a Romance with your spouse isn't true to the source material it is something some groups may allow. This seems to me to pose certain mechanical problems -- to whit, the rules seem to suggest that any consummated Romance is instead a Liason, and doesn't reduce in strength over time. Naturally there would be no downside to having a Liason with one's own spouse (since it wouldn't be illegal, in fact it would be encouraged). Which seems to be a little overpowered.

So, in a game in which Romances with one's spouse are allowed would it be reasonable to say that only extramarital affairs can be liasons, and a relationship with one's own spouse will always only be a Romance, and will degrade over time like any other?
Bazzalisk
(James P. Barrett)

http://www.bazzalisk.org
Bazzalisk

Re: Liasons an Marriage

Postby dogmirian » Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:02 am

i might be wrong here but here is my two cents
that with your spouse every knows you two are together so it would make a bigger target, also it will require actions to make your spouse an npc while someone else would simply be already.
remember you cant use wagers to level a vassal you have to still spend seasonal actions
dogmirian

Postby Keith Fyans » Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:46 pm

Well, if you allow it I'd give them what they want, but crank it up to 11:

You have a Tag and a Compel on that romance; as a narrator use it. As others realise that the couple are in a Romance they should exploit it too. Also don't forget you have to still be granting tasks back and forth and one of the couple is an NPC with an agenda. The question becomes what will you endure for Love? Also, if you make your spouse heart-broken how bearable will life be as you can't ever divorce...
Glasgow Indie Gamers - Website ~ Facebook ~ Twitter
Keith Fyans

Postby Bazzalisk » Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:21 am

I note that both of those replies have to do with the narrative effects of having a Romance with your spouse (which are obvious), and neither addresses the rules question ;)
Bazzalisk
(James P. Barrett)

http://www.bazzalisk.org
Bazzalisk

Postby Black King » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:25 pm

I think they addressed it fairly aptly, but let me try and put it in plain words as I understand it.

What dogmirian was getting at was that you can only have a Romance with a PC or NPC, so you have to tackle that difficulty first, as a starting character can't have NPC vassals yet. You can overcome that through a few ways though. Get a marriage in game. If you have one already, kill them off. Or, play your character before you're a noble, maybe. As long as your Narrator is cool with it. Keith Fyans was taking about the bad parts of that, which isn't directly to the question but definitely on topic. So...

Rules: You keep your rating, keep your aspect. The rating doesn't drop at the end of seasons as long as you keep maintaining the Liaison.

If you consummate a Romance and continue to do so, then the rating of the Romance does not decrease. This would can apply fully to a marriage as well, I don't see any reason why it wouldn't. There are several hurdles you need to overcome before you can just mark this one down, though.

First, most marriages are often something that is done to finalize important contracts and foster alliances. It's arranged by your parents or liege lord and a done deal before you're even a noble in your own right most of the time. More often than not, the participants may not even like each other, let alone want to start a Romance with each other. If you do manage to find yourself someone who you are romantically interested in then go for it.

Another thing to remember is that a Liaison forms under specific circumstances. They can be created, transforming from a Romance, when the Romance reaches its Potential, when it reaches its peak. In a marriage more than likely in performing your marital duties, being creating more ven to populate the world, you will have consummated the marriage before that ideal moment, ruining the special connection that you would have been able to form. The act becomes just another thing to you, like what all your other cousins feel when they lay with their spouse. That's how I interpretation the section on starting a Liaison, at least. Only at the peak of the Romances heat can a lasting Liaison be started. Makes sense and that's how it is if you want to read the word of the rule, which seems what you're looking for.

But, say you make all that. You find someone who you start a Romance with at a party, then manipulate your parents or liege lord into thinking that that person is the right one to match up with you. The Best move for them to make. The ceremony pairing both of you is finished as your Romance builds and as you return to your castle, you consummate the marriage in the season that the Romance peaks. Congratulations, you've created a Romance, Liaison and marriage all in the same person.

Bonuses are great. You get an awesome Aspect that you can use, and it will be maintained at what ever maximum potential you got, hopefully really high. You'll be able to get a ton of dice to what ever task your squeeze puts you to. And you do have to keep giving each other tasks. Tasks that further their own objectives, not necessarily your own. If one of you don't complete the task in a season, the Liaison decreased by two ranks. Change the task before its completed? That makes it loose a rank as well.

You also will be a fairly obvious target. Anyone who wants act against you will know about your situation, as bold and unusual as it is. Don't think that word won't get out. They'll use it against you, tagging and compelling you. Any time they want to manipulate you. Harm you. Ether of you.But, that's like any other aspect. Take the good with the bad. You also will be missing out on starting Romances, which can be amazingly useful. And even if you don't want to start a Romance with others, some of them may want to start one with you. They just have to get your Liaison out of the way. To say nothing of those who are jealous of your successful marriage.

Check with your Narrator. It can be interesting. A break from the standard spouse who is constantly contemplating stabbing you in the back, like everyone else around you. But there's another batch of risks you take upon yourself when you try this, don't be ignorant of that.

Good luck. Here's to true love and perfect pairings. Lets see how long you can make it last.
Black King

Return to Frequently Asked Questions