Heartbroken Aspect

One question per post, please!

Moderator: Snag

Heartbroken Aspect

Postby SunBlade » Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:53 am

Is Heartbroken backwards?

It seems odd that a Romance without very much potential and that was only worth 1 die means that you're entirely prevented from starting another, while one that was very important (say 8 dice) allows a new one to be rather strong.

And what happens as it fades away and loses dice with time? Wouldn't that force any new one to die?
SunBlade

Re: Heartbroken Aspect

Postby Snag » Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:10 pm

The Heartbroken Aspect is decided by taking the Potential of the Romance that got it ended in the first place, dividing it by half and rounding up. Thus, a Romance with only a Potential of 1, would give the Heartbroken ven a Heartbreak of 1.

When starting a new Romance while still Heartbroken, the new Romance's current rank cannot go above the rank of the Heartbroken Aspect. The new Romance can still have a huge potential, but until the Heartbreak has faded, the new Romance cannot progress.

So think of it this way: When a Romance of max potential 4 ends, it clearly was only a middling level fling, and a new Romance of potential 8 makes the old fling easier to get over. You still want to hurt the one that hurt you, but at the same time, your new love is clearly superior and you still want to expend the effort to please them.
Snag, O.T.D.O
Caffeine enabler
Blooded of the Raven? No? Damnation.

My Plains produce Win!
Snag

Postby SunBlade » Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:31 pm

Right, but that's exactly what I mean.
Having a very low Romance (and therefore a very low Heartbroken aspect) means your new one's current rating might even be capped at 0. But if you had one that was eight dice then things aren't so bad in its wake... That seems backwards to me.
SunBlade

Postby Snag » Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:44 pm

Oh, I see the part you're referring to. I'd argue that the lowest it can be is 1. Half of 1 is .5, rounded up is 1. Not sure about the 'Not equal to or greater than' bit, tho'.

Let me see if I'm understanding the other issue correctly:

Scenario A
Old Romance - 8 Potential : Heartbreak rating - 4
New Romance - 6 potential
New Romance cannot progress beyond a 3
**Meaning that a romance with 5 potential or less is really not affected.

Scenario B
Old Romance - 1 : Heartbreak rating - 1
New Romance - 8 potential.
New Romance can't get nowheres.

I see now! Sorry, I knew what you meant in my head, but I wrote it out wrong. If that's the way the rule stands, then I'd say that in Scenario A, the new romance is a rebound romance, and therefor the character is not as invested in it.

In scenario B, the potential for the new Romance demands that the character get over their issues before they can properly move on.
Snag, O.T.D.O
Caffeine enabler

My Plains produce Win!
Snag

Postby Ashkelion-Yvarai » Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:37 am

It's all a question of timing. Even heartbreak fades at a rate of one rank per season. So move on to the next season and the heartbroken aspect is gone.
"No rulebook has deserved the name 'rules bible' more than 'Houses of the Blooded'." (a friend about all the discussions, corrections and additions to the HotB rules on the forums and in our gaming group)
Ashkelion-Yvarai

Postby gains » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:44 am

I also think it's backward. If I've had a Romance that capped out at 8 potential then it's easier for me to have a higher rank Romance in the next season than in a season a year later.

Season 1 = 4 heartbreak, max new Romance 3.
Season 2 = 3 heartbreak, max new Romance 2.
Season 3 = 2 heartbreak, max new Romance 1.
Season 4 = 1 heartbreak, max new Romance 0.

Yeah, rather than making it easier to start a new Romance as feelings for the last fade, it's easier to have a rebound relationship, and for it to be almost as valid as the broken one.

So, I'm gonna turn it upside-down. I'll subract the current Heartbreak rating from the potential value of the new Romance, adjusted every season.

Say my new Romance has a potential 6.
Season 1 = 4 heartbreak, max new Romance 2 ranks.
Season 2 = 3 heartbreak, max new Romance 3 ranks.
etc.

Of course, we have to keep the tasks and alta going, but the one who can't let go of the old love is unable to raise in ranks beyond the ceiling and is going to lag behind. If the new love isn't also getting over someone he'll hit the potential first and fade before the laggard. Then the laggard is left again, getting more heartbreak, or the other will have to hang around in a loveless relationship waiting for the laggard to give up.

Oh, that hurts so much! :mrgreen:
gains

Postby Snag » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:51 am

I don't think it's a running tally, I think it's only the initial ranking of the Heartbreak score. Sounds like errata time to me!
Snag, O.T.D.O
Caffeine enabler

My Plains produce Win!
Snag

Return to Frequently Asked Questions