So I have Children....How do I...

One question per post, please!

Moderator: Snag

So I have Children....How do I...

Postby Incubus » Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:41 pm

...know how old there are? (Primary questions here...is how this is determined?)

...when I have to worry about looking over my shoulder? (How fast do they age to danger me...)

..when can I throw them to the Orks?

Hey, I need more Vassals.....can I make them such?
Incubus

Re: So I have Children....How do I...

Postby Snag » Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:50 pm

If the chiildren are there at character generation, discuss with the Narrator how best to determine their ages. If (s)he wants you to pick the ages, so be it.

If the children occurred from end-of-year booty call, (either via dice rolls or because the couple each spend a season action.), then the progression is thus:

1 season for gestation.
Assume children age at double the normal rate. 1 year humans = 2 years ven.

At age 16, the child can enter play as a rank 1 vassal, treat as your character or Spouse, and train up as per normal.

As for whether to watch over your shoulder or feed them to the orks.. that's entirely between you and your Narrator.
Snag, O.T.D.O
Caffeine enabler
Blooded of the Raven? No? Damnation.

My Plains produce Win!
Snag

Postby Incubus » Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:46 am

Snag,

Great answer....

We are so use to OLD game systems where there are tables for everything, we OVERLOOKED that this is a Collarabitive effort....

I have two sons from my Character generation and I wanted to know when the could be introduced in Play....

Thank you for your time...
Incubus

Postby Ashkelion-Yvarai » Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:09 pm

Incubus wrote:...know how old there are? (Primary questions here...is how this is determined?)

There is nothing in the book. But I decided for my group that the children generated during character creation are each aged 1d6 years. Works well so far. In a friends game, I rolled twins :shock:

Incubus wrote:...when I have to worry about looking over my shoulder? (How fast do they age to danger me...)

A ven child reaches maturity after 8 years.

Incubus wrote:..when can I throw them to the Orks?

At any time you want to... ;)

Incubus wrote:Hey, I need more Vassals.....can I make them such?

Yes, according to page 273 at age 16 (or rather age 8) they enter play as rank 1 vassal. They can take any season action you can take (same as your spouse).
"No rulebook has deserved the name 'rules bible' more than 'Houses of the Blooded'." (a friend about all the discussions, corrections and additions to the HotB rules on the forums and in our gaming group)
Ashkelion-Yvarai

Postby Skaldsaga » Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:51 pm

In my game, a couple of my players have children. I'm running it as, the children are just a name and in the background (seen but not heard, like the good little children they are) until they are ready to be part of the story. At which point they become a spring rank 1 vassal.
I stopped fighting the inner demons. We’re on the same side now.
Skaldsaga

Postby Jesse Heinig » Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:14 am

You could also, as one of the aforementioned collaborative efforts, make the childrens' ages and persnalities a subject of a series of wagers by the players. The parent makes the first wager, then go around the table. This can be a lot of fun because as any parent knows, while you may love your children, sometimes they are exasperating and often they can be or do things that you didn't expect or ask for . . .
Jesse Heinig

Postby Incubus » Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:32 am

Jesse Heinig wrote:You could also, as one of the aforementioned collaborative efforts, make the childrens' ages and persnalities a subject of a series of wagers by the players. The parent makes the first wager, then go around the table. This can be a lot of fun because as any parent knows, while you may love your children, sometimes they are exasperating and often they can be or do things that you didn't expect or ask for . . .

This is a excellent suggestion - 1 Style Point!

We re going to use this idea for Spouses also!

Thanks Jesse...
Incubus

Postby Ashkelion-Yvarai » Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:58 am

Jesse Heinig wrote:You could also, as one of the aforementioned collaborative efforts, make the childrens' ages and persnalities a subject of a series of wagers by the players. The parent makes the first wager, then go around the table. This can be a lot of fun because as any parent knows, while you may love your children, sometimes they are exasperating and often they can be or do things that you didn't expect or ask for . . .

Nice idea. But for some players, the children are kind of a "backup" character. I think it's not very nice to have that defined by other players. Still I like the idea.
"No rulebook has deserved the name 'rules bible' more than 'Houses of the Blooded'." (a friend about all the discussions, corrections and additions to the HotB rules on the forums and in our gaming group)
Ashkelion-Yvarai

Postby Jesse Heinig » Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:46 am

Incubus wrote:

This is a excellent suggestion - 1 Style Point!

We re going to use this idea for Spouses also!

Thanks Jesse...

I protected myself from this on my Spouse by taking certain Aspects:

"I love my wife . . . " (with the appropriate Tag, Compel, etc.)
". . . and she loves me."

This, of course, makes us the subject of much derisive whispering at court. It also means I can't use the romance system. But my level 3 Spouse vassal is very, very hard to use against me. ;)
Jesse Heinig

Postby Incubus » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:43 am

Well, as Children or a Spouse do not inherit anything upon death or Solace of a Ven, being a back up is questionable...

and I think if there is a framing of what can be defined, it makes for a better game.....

Who knows what goes on in the CRECHE as those children are raised....
Incubus

Next

Return to Frequently Asked Questions