So I have Children....How do I...

One question per post, please!

Moderator: Snag

Re: So I have Children....How do I...

Postby Snag » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:47 am

Jesse Heinig wrote:I protected myself from this on my Spouse by taking certain Aspects:

"I love my wife . . . " (with the appropriate Tag, Compel, etc.)
". . . and she loves me."

This, of course, makes us the subject of much derisive whispering at court. It also means I can't use the romance system. But my level 3 Spouse vassal is very, very hard to use against me. ;)

What was the phrase? The 'John Wick Social Meat Grinder'? :lol:
Snag, O.T.D.O
Caffeine enabler
Blooded of the Raven? No? Damnation.

My Plains produce Win!
Snag

Postby JohnWick » Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:15 am

Snag wrote:
What was the phrase? The 'John Wick Social Meat Grinder'? :lol:

Yes, this is THAT Jess. He knows me well.
The Reverend John Wick, PhD, D.M., KoAL, G.M., ST, Narr., G.A.M.E.R., Master Mason
JohnWick
Site Admin

Postby Snag » Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:18 am

JohnWick wrote:
Yes, this is THAT Jess. He knows me well.

I figured! Just couldn't let the opportunity for a quote go by without comment.
Snag, O.T.D.O
Caffeine enabler

My Plains produce Win!
Snag

Postby Ashkelion-Yvarai » Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:21 am

Incubus wrote:Well, as Children or a Spouse do not inherit anything upon death or Solace of a Ven, being a back up is questionable...

This is not quite true. First off, a spouse of course inherits the lands. But depending on his or her role might have to re-marry someone she doesn't like. If the surviving spouse is yvestra (very unlikely in case of player characters), s/he can chose her new husband/wife at his/her leisure (e.g. Lady No). If the surviving spouse is ytola, the parents of the dead yvestra chose a new yvestra for him/her. The province(s) stay with the spouse.

Now, children are another matter. On the one hand, they are expected to carry on the family line and inherit the lands. On the other hand, there is no inheritance, except that which you claim for yourself. So a surviving child has to fight for the province(s) of his/her parents.

So, if I declare the child to be my new character, I can always determine with a Style point that s/he successfully gained the province(s) of the deceased.
"No rulebook has deserved the name 'rules bible' more than 'Houses of the Blooded'." (a friend about all the discussions, corrections and additions to the HotB rules on the forums and in our gaming group)
Ashkelion-Yvarai

Postby Jesse Heinig » Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:36 pm

Using children as backups is a great idea, because the issue of succession will be cloudy enough that it immediately gives the character a goal and a hook. You have built-in foes (the other claimants to the estate) and possible allies (the friends/allies of your defunct parent). Plus, children sometimes fall far from the tree, which means that you can make the character as similar as or different from your previous character as you like.
Obviously, if you are using children as back-up characters, you'll want to just stat them out yourself instead of using wagers . . . unless you are quite brave and willing to take the beat-down that your group will provide. ;)
One thing that children will likely have at least some access to are diaries and journals, so if your prior character kept a diary, your children may be able to know about your exploits (and your secrets) through it. That way your follow-up character can jump right into the convoluted plots in which your last character was previously involved. Heck, you could make the diary one of your Aspects and use it when you are trying to reference secrets held by your decedent. (It's been done for other occasions, why not as an inheritance?)

I could see something like this, too:
INHERITANCE
Invoke: When making a risk involving resources, secret knowledge of the specific household and its artifacts, or accessing private materials from the decedent.
Tag: Must spend time cataloging and acquiring rights to various elements of the estate. Therefore, less time for other pursuits.
Compel: Force you into a situation of defending your legal claim to the items in question.
Since inheritance law becomes a muddy issue among the ven, especially when discussing the possibility of inheritors beyond the spouse, the struggle for control of an estate can become quite vicious and petty. Multiple children may all strive for the plum possessions while former allies swoop in demanding recompense for debts and higher nobles seek to control the disbursment of resources in order to advance their own ends.
Access to these resources can be a slippery game for a young ven, who might one day have the loyalty of the staff and finances of an estate and the next day face an eviction order and the machinations of a rival noble.
Jesse Heinig

Postby Ashkelion-Yvarai » Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:59 pm

Jesse Heinig wrote:INHERITANCE
Invoke: When making a risk involving resources, secret knowledge of the specific household and its artifacts, or accessing private materials from the decedent.
Tag: Must spend time cataloging and acquiring rights to various elements of the estate. Therefore, less time for other pursuits.
Compel: Force you into a situation of defending your legal claim to the items in question.

I like this idea.
"No rulebook has deserved the name 'rules bible' more than 'Houses of the Blooded'." (a friend about all the discussions, corrections and additions to the HotB rules on the forums and in our gaming group)
Ashkelion-Yvarai

Inheritance, Slightly Revised

Postby JohnWick » Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:42 pm

INHERITANCE

Tag: (a secret that an opponent or enemy can use to gain advantage over you) Because you are so careful about protecting those secrets, in social situations, if someone knows about the secrets of your inheritance, they may tag this Aspect to gain two bonus dice.

Compel: Another player or the Narrator may spend a Style Point to orce you to defend your legal claim to the items in question.

Since inheritance law becomes a muddy issue among the ven, especially when discussing the possibility of inheritors beyond the spouse, the struggle for control of an estate can become quite vicious and petty. Multiple children may all strive for the plum possessions while former allies swoop in demanding recompense for debts and higher nobles seek to control the disbursment of resources in order to advance their own ends.

Access to these resources can be a slippery game for a young ven, who might one day have the loyalty of the staff and finances of an estate and the next day face an eviction order and the machinations of a rival noble.
The Reverend John Wick, PhD, D.M., KoAL, G.M., ST, Narr., G.A.M.E.R., Master Mason
JohnWick
Site Admin

Postby Incubus » Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:41 am

My understanding of the Ven way, is you only Inherit what you take or earn....

I have yet to see that anything transfers to a Spouse (by Ven Law), if the Dominate Spouse is Poisioned, Killed or enters Solace. I assume this is covered under the Marriage Agreement/Contract.

Also, in theory, everything that the Blooded 'owns' belongs to the person he/she is a Vassal of... is that correct?

With the whole "Under the Shadow Of" concept, it suggests that there is nothing that is FREEHOLD by a Ven....

It is possible to NOT be under the shadow of anyone?
Incubus

Postby JohnWick » Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:44 am

Incubus wrote:It is possible to NOT be under the shadow of anyone?

No.
JohnWick
Site Admin

Postby Snag » Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:14 am

Now granted, if you're hell and gone away from everyone, you could try to be independant and it might even work. For a while.

But eventually, someone's going to decide that you're actually sitting on their land. Thus prompting the question: Can you keep it?
Snag, O.T.D.O
Caffeine enabler

My Plains produce Win!
Snag

PreviousNext

Return to Frequently Asked Questions