Let me slip into something more Stylish (banking again)

One question per post, please!

Moderator: Snag

Let me slip into something more Stylish (banking again)

Postby gains » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:13 am

In the Banking Style discussion the subject was raised of banking style in other goods in your wardrobe. While this may be easy to abuse in a wankerly way, I'm intending to allow it in my game. The effect of a ven noblewoman at a party excusing herself to change into her evening dress and then descending the grand stairway, turning heads with her new, style rich outfit is too much for me to resist.

My rules will be that you can only bank style into the goods you have on your person at the time you gain the points. Likewise, you must have those items on your person to use them. Since you can't change into a new outfit while in a duel, I expect it will hold up. (Of course, fighting a dirty duel, you could have your friend toss you another sword when yours is broken . . .) This means I will allow the players to fill up the goods they wore or used while adventuring at the adventure's end.

So, have I completely defeated the safeguards against style abuse, or is the allure of changing dinner jacket for dueling jerkin just to rich in drama to ignore?
gains

Re: Let me slip into something more Stylish (banking again)

Postby Snag » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:26 am

While the potential for a book keeping headache exists, (my math-impaired brain weeps at the thought), I'd say that's not a bad notion at all. Albeit one that may end up posing a slight quandary where Art and Artifacts are concerned. A painting banks style, to be sure, but must the character tote it around with them if they wish to use the 1 to however many style banked therein?

Also, consider that the character need not be present for the player to spend the Style point. A baron could be off having a chat with their count or duchess, and a player that's presently elsewhere in the city could have a rush of brains to the head and suddenly toss out a random servant visitor as a plot twist, random comedy, or random aid.

I like the idea as it pertains to clothing, mind you. But other Style repositories may not work with that house rule.
Snag, O.T.D.O
Caffeine enabler
Blooded of the Raven? No? Damnation.

My Plains produce Win!
Snag

Postby gains » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:57 am

Agreed. It is a thorny issue determining what is style-stored where. I would probably handle art or other stationary objects as a repository of style. When I'm feeling uninspired, I go to my gallery and study the works that won me so much acclaim when shown at the last party.

Those 5 style that a ven can bank on themselves would be where their "not present" twists come from. So they'd need to create a scene to go get the style from the bank before they can spend it. (Truth be told, I was going to treat valets this way too.)

Yes, much bookkeeping. That might kill it but I'll see if the players are willing to do the tracking to have the points.
gains

Postby gains » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:01 am

In retrospect, this thread belongs in the suggestions category. I think I lazily put it in FAQ since it was an FAQ thread that got me thinking about it. If a mod would be so kind as to move it ... ?

My apologies.
gains

Postby JohnWick » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:38 am

The intent of the rules was to say that specific items banked Style Points. Your hat, your boots, that painting, etc.

Style Points you bank in Art hanging on the wall are available to you if you are in your House. Style in clothes is also only available to you if you are wearing the clothes. That was the intent.
The Reverend John Wick, PhD, D.M., KoAL, G.M., ST, Narr., G.A.M.E.R., Master Mason
JohnWick
Site Admin

Postby Rob Justice » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:10 am

JohnWick wrote:The intent of the rules was to say that specific items banked Style Points. Your hat, your boots, that painting, etc.

Style Points you bank in Art hanging on the wall are available to you if you are in your House. Style in clothes is also only available to you if you are wearing the clothes. That was the intent.

But by the book (Page. 111) it says:

"Your ven can carry as much Style as he wants, but he cannot keep all of it between adventures."
Rob Justice

Postby JohnWick » Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:25 am

robjustice wrote:
JohnWick wrote:
But by the book (Page. 111) it says:

"Your ven can carry as much Style as he wants, but he cannot keep all of it between adventures."

Yes. Here's an example.

You play an adventure. at the end of the adventure, you've earned fifteen Style. Because the adventure (and Season) are over, you can only bank 5 of those Style yourself. In order to keep the rest of it to the next Season, you have to find somewhere else to bank it, otherwise, you lose it.

From Season to Season, you must ditch all Style you've earned other than the five you can bank yourself. That's where Goods and Art come into play.
The Reverend John Wick, PhD, D.M., KoAL, G.M., ST, Narr., G.A.M.E.R., Master Mason
JohnWick
Site Admin

Return to Frequently Asked Questions