Blood Contacts Et al.

One question per post, please!

Moderator: Snag

Blood Contacts Et al.

Postby Mask Epic » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:40 pm

A Blood contact is a ritual that requires a piece of parchment, a cup, a knife, and a quill.

Once the contract has been completed, is the parchment any more important than the cup? or the quill? or can I toss it in a fire knowing that the magic has already been done and simply destroying the contract would have no more effect than breaking the quill or smashing the cup?

Of course a copy of it should be kept by the narrarator for reference regardless.
Mask Epic

Re: Blood Contacts Et al.

Postby wastevens » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:36 pm

Mask Epic wrote:A Blood contact is a ritual that requires a piece of parchment, a cup, a knife, and a quill.

Once the contract has been completed, is the parchment any more important than the cup? or the quill? or can I toss it in a fire knowing that the magic has already been done and simply destroying the contract would have no more effect than breaking the quill or smashing the cup?

Of course a copy of it should be kept by the narrarator for reference regardless.

Sounds like a Wisdom Risk to me!

(that is to say, I don't believe there is a definite answer to this question in the book, and can see compelling reasons to answer it both ways)
wastevens

Postby wunderworks » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:15 pm

I know that in the LARP we've had physical blood contracts written up and the highest ranking person on the contract generally keeps it (and hides it!) somewhere important. In fact, the downfall of my evil character Calaban Ru is because he tried to take away the love of his Spymaster and so his spy master found the contracts and turned them over to a Senatorial Rajan.
Author of World of Dew a samurai noir sequel to John Wick's Blood & Honor

"Forbearance is the root of quietness and assurance forever. "
~ Tokugawa Ieyasu ~
wunderworks
Site Admin

Postby alexanderthesoso » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:27 am

from a sympathetic magic perspective, the cup holds everyones blood, the quill writes, the knife bleeds, but the contract holds the power and the words. The other three, i would say dispose as you see fit (though theres probably like, special sets that houses keep, to do contracts. a matching set cup knife and quill, high art values. )

The contract though... i wouldnt burn.
alexanderthesoso

Return to Frequently Asked Questions