Bonus Points and Master Vassals

One question per post, please!

Moderator: Snag

Bonus Points and Master Vassals

Postby peccable » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:00 am

In the bonus points example on page 104, Shara, having already created some Vassals (including a Rank 1 Staff), spends one of her bonus points on a Seneschal, which, as I understand it, is a Master Vassal and thus an NPC.

Is this kosher? The Vassal section under bonus points says you can use a bonus point to gain an additional Vassal or increase an existing Vassal's rank by 1, and that you can't use bonus points to turn a Vassal into an NPC.

Even ignoring that part of it, Seneschals are created by increasing a Rank 3 Staff -- but her staff is only Rank 1, so at the very least, the Seneschal should cost her 3 points, yes? Two points to get a Rank 3 Staff and then another to create him?

I'm probably playing in a HotB game shortly, and I'd love to start with a Seneschal, but the way the rules are written, it doesn't seem like you should be able to. The rules on 104 imply that you shouldn't be able to start a new character with any Master Vassals.

Thanks!

-d-
peccable

Re: Bonus Points and Master Vassals

Postby Snag » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:26 am

No, you're correct, you must have Staff 3 before you can buy up to Seneschal. I suspect the sample given was just done
Snag, O.T.D.O
Caffeine enabler
Blooded of the Raven? No? Damnation.

My Plains produce Win!
Snag

Re: Bonus Points and Master Vassals

Postby JohnWick » Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:19 am

peccable wrote:In the bonus points example on page 104, Shara, having already created some Vassals (including a Rank 1 Staff), spends one of her bonus points on a Seneschal, which, as I understand it, is a Master Vassal and thus an NPC.

Is this kosher? The Vassal section under bonus points says you can use a bonus point to gain an additional Vassal or increase an existing Vassal's rank by 1, and that you can't use bonus points to turn a Vassal into an NPC.

Even ignoring that part of it, Seneschals are created by increasing a Rank 3 Staff -- but her staff is only Rank 1, so at the very least, the Seneschal should cost her 3 points, yes? Two points to get a Rank 3 Staff and then another to create him?

I'm probably playing in a HotB game shortly, and I'd love to start with a Seneschal, but the way the rules are written, it doesn't seem like you should be able to. The rules on 104 imply that you shouldn't be able to start a new character with any Master Vassals.

Thanks!

-d-

Yes, Shara as written breaks a rule. Ignore that part. The rules are correct.
The Reverend John Wick, PhD, D.M., KoAL, G.M., ST, Narr., G.A.M.E.R., Master Mason
JohnWick
Site Admin

Return to Frequently Asked Questions