Terror Rank

One question per post, please!

Moderator: Snag

Re: Terror Rank

Postby Black King » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:56 am

I'm not sure what exactly the problem is. I think what you're talking about is the bit revolving around protecting vassals from terror. As is, I don't see anything in the book about it and as is I assume that they just follow your lead, fighting if you fight and cowering if you cower.

So as is with official errata I think we sit at...
Courage risk vs TN (Terror x 5). Wagers give you additional dice on subsequent rolls as per the standard rules for Courage risks. If you fail ...this is where another confusion is at. It looks like you have ether...
1) To take an action you have to ether spend a Style or make wagers equal to the Terror rank, which may or may not be lost in overcoming your fear. I'd say they are.
Or
2) Even if you succeed on the Courage risk, you have to you have to make wagers equal to the Terror rank. Succeeding just saves you from having to spend Style.

I think it's #1. Makes more sense to me in the rules as well as make you able to actually take on Ork. The main part where it falls apart at the moment I think is the part that Nihilistic Mind mentioned, talking about making wagers to keep vassals around. Ether way though it sounds like they give you dice equal to their rank, then you have to set a number equal to their rank aside as a wager, so you don't actually net any dice ether way. This would matter if those wagers also count for bonus dice from a successful Courage risk, but it doesn't seem like it to me which makes that little rule not matter really. It seems to me like the rules that are in use have changed and we missed a memo. As is though I'd say the best thing to do would be ignore it. Nihilistic Mind may know better than us, in fact he probably does as he talks to Mr. Wick, but until we hear something from one of them that's a bit more definitive that speaks differently, I think we're in a good spot.
Black King

Postby Nihilistic Mind » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:01 am

I think I know where the confusion stems from... Simply disregard anything from the other thread pertaining to setting aside your Wagers for vassals and you're set. Your vassals follow you. They don't have a Courage stat for a reason, they do whatever you do.

Courage vs Target Number=Terror x 5

Now, we've bogged this down simply enough, right?

I'll throw in a complication and you guys tell me how you think it should run:

Contested Courage Risk vs Target Number=Terror x 5

Let's say 3 brave noble ven (and some of their vassals) face a Rank 4 Ork. What are the possible implications here?
"Sparrow, I'll call you back. I've just gutted a man with a shard of wood and I need to make sure he's dead... I think you're right, Sparrow. I am a bad, bad man..."
~~Dr. Xander Crowe, WORMWOOD.
Nihilistic Mind
Site Admin

Postby Black King » Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:41 pm

Looks like someone gets to lead the charge and possibly is now a better candidate to lead your side in Mass Murder. Or, if you are all on your own side for mass murder someone's going to have a leg up on claiming the glory of downing this Ork.

Actually, now that I think of it, you're mechanically better off if each of you take your own side, and fight against an Ork. Ven vs Ven vs Ven vs Ven vs Ork. Lets you strike far more often and take it down very quickly, possibly before it can hit you. Of course, this falls well into the realm of rules wankery, as you're still standing united against the Ork.
Black King

Postby Peregrine » Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:04 am

Nihilistic Mind wrote:Contested Courage Risk vs Target Number=Terror x 5

Let's say 3 brave noble ven (and some of their vassals) face a Rank 4 Ork. What are the possible implications here?

Well, one possible implication is that you have to beat a TN of 20, meaning you need a courage of 4 at least, or else have an aspect making you fearless before Orks (to get +3 dice) and not have a courage weakness.

Only a Falcon can really stand before Orks with high Rank.
"The Senate took my lands, my titles, my Name... They will bury this and forget me. But I will live long enough to remind them of what should not be forgotten." - Iyl, the Aged Stranger
Peregrine

Postby Black King » Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:56 pm

So maybe there should be a mechanic that allows you to gather additional dice similarly to the way that you gather dice for mass murder. You get a bonus equal to the people who stand with you or something similar. One per ven, one per rank of vassal. I can't really see being able to stand against Ork with a rank 5 or higher. At 5 you need 7 or 8 dice just to reliably make the TN, which would require a Courage of 4 or 5 and an Aspect. Or an Aspect and a Tag. Just for a 5, which is the high end of the average, according to the book. They go to 10. That would require about 14 or 15 dice to reliably make. Not even sure where you would get dice for that.

Which I think is well and good and very in keeping with the setting. Ork are scary, even for the ven. Ork mess you up. Combat is messy and violent and deadly. At the higher ranks I also think that combat becomes more narrative and something that powerful probably has a story attached to defeating it. Find the ritual, get the artifact, sacrifice someone you have a Romance with or something within theme. This is also very much what the rally action that was introduced is for I think. That one ven who can make the roll can rally everyone else against the fear. Rally them against the fear while the Ork cuts into their ranks.
Black King

Postby Nihilistic Mind » Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:21 pm

Black King wrote:So maybe there should be a mechanic that allows you to gather additional dice similarly to the way that you gather dice for mass murder. You get a bonus equal to the people who stand with you or something similar. One per ven, one per rank of vassal.

I would allow this as a Narrator. That sounds like a good compromise for a Courage vs Terror roll.
"Sparrow, I'll call you back. I've just gutted a man with a shard of wood and I need to make sure he's dead... I think you're right, Sparrow. I am a bad, bad man..."
Nihilistic Mind
Site Admin

Postby Keith Fyans » Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:56 am

Of course I'll give you a Style Point if you say they all run...
Glasgow Indie Gamers - Website ~ Facebook ~ Twitter
Keith Fyans

Postby Nihilistic Mind » Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:37 pm

Keith Fyans wrote:Of course I'll give you a Style Point if you say they all run...

I love this game... :twisted:
Nihilistic Mind
Site Admin

Postby Peregrine » Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:21 pm

Keith Fyans wrote:Of course I'll give you a Style Point if you say they all run...

And can I spend it to say I've dealt with this Ork before? And another to say I owe it a favor?
"The Senate took my lands, my titles, my Name... They will bury this and forget me. But I will live long enough to remind them of what should not be forgotten." - Iyl, the Aged Stranger
Peregrine

Postby Keith Fyans » Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:07 am

Peregrine wrote:

And can I spend it to say I've dealt with this Ork before? And another to say I owe it a favor?

Keep your style and have another if I get to define the terms of the favor ;)
Glasgow Indie Gamers - Website ~ Facebook ~ Twitter
Keith Fyans

PreviousNext

Return to Frequently Asked Questions