Question about ven family names.

One question per post, please!

Moderator: Snag

Question about ven family names.

Postby PandaDad » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:55 pm

This is one of those cases where the answer is probably staring me in the face somewhere in the text of the rules, and yet every time I've read it, it has failed to register.

Is there a particular reason why all PCs from the same house share the same family name? That is, for example, all Blooded of the Serpent use the name Mwrr, even though there are also the Jalen, Ovjen, Ru, and Valar families associated with that house in the description on page 48.

Ver' curious. :? Am I missing something, or did it just turn out this way?

PandaDad
"Let the plum tree wither in place of the peach. Sit on the mountain and watch the tigers fight. Loot a burning house. Clamor in the east, attack in the west. And never forget that the foe has also studied Sun Tzu." ~ XiongMao the Cranky
PandaDad

Re: Question about ven family names.

Postby Black King » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:13 am

The Houses appear to have shared family names. Anyone who became a Blooded of that House would most likely take on the name of what ever House they joined. Most of the NPCs share the same family name, but there are other common ones for each house listed in the front of the book where it first introduces the Houses, if you want a bit of variety.
Black King

Postby wunderworks » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:59 am

From the way it has gone at the LARP and in some TT games I've played it appears that the family name is taken when the person is blooded and they take the name of their sponsor. So if a Jalan bloods someone that person will most likely take the Jalan name.

DON'T READ IF DO NOT WANT TO SEE THE GUTS OF GAME DESIGN: I think John had the primary family names first and added the other names near the end of design, and the NPCs were created near the beginning. The other names were ones he'd been working on and deciding and a few, I think, were from some prominent PCs during playtests.

Although that isn't 100% accurate since I'm pretty sure that Tal was a major Wolf name from the beginning as was Bannon (for the Fox?). I think Tal was one of the first Wolf lords despite Adrente being the founder.
Author of World of Dew a samurai noir sequel to John Wick's Blood & Honor

"Forbearance is the root of quietness and assurance forever. "
~ Tokugawa Ieyasu ~
wunderworks
Site Admin

Postby PandaDad » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:42 am

In other words, if someone wants to have a family name from one of the lists, that would be acceptable, assuming the GM and other players were cool with it...yes?

(Just making sure!)

PandaDad
"Let the plum tree wither in place of the peach. Sit on the mountain and watch the tigers fight. Loot a burning house. Clamor in the east, attack in the west. And never forget that the foe has also studied Sun Tzu." ~ XiongMao the Cranky
PandaDad

Postby wunderworks » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:49 pm

PandaDad wrote:In other words, if someone wants to have a family name from one of the lists, that would be acceptable, assuming the GM and other players were cool with it...yes?

(Just making sure!)

PandaDad

Yeah. :) I tend to avoid the main names anyways. :D
Author of World of Dew a samurai noir sequel to John Wick's Blood & Honor

"Forbearance is the root of quietness and assurance forever. "
~ Tokugawa Ieyasu ~
wunderworks
Site Admin

Postby PandaDad » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:28 pm

Thank you kindly! I'll make a note of that for whenever I get something off the ground, for my players shall surely ask...

PandaDad
PandaDad

Return to Frequently Asked Questions