Espionage Action: Spying on Regions

One question per post, please!

Moderator: Snag

Espionage Action: Spying on Regions

Postby Ashkelion-Yvarai » Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:00 am

There are two descriptions for Spying on Regions in the Seasons chapter. Both seem to contradict each other.

On page 245 John Wick wrote:First, you must spend an Espionage Action to look at your enemy’s Regions. You can see a number of your enemy’s Regions equal to the rank of your Spy Network. A rank 1 Spy Network can use a Season Action to look at one Region. A rank 3 Spy Network can use one Season Action to look at three Regions.
Looking at Regions gives you the following information:
• The Region’s rank.
• The Region’s Improvements.
• If any Vassals are in the Region.


On page 270 John Wick wrote:You may choose to use your Spy Network to spy on foreign Regions. If successful, you discover a number of the following facts equal to your Spy Network's rank:
• what Resources the Region is producing this Season.
• what Holdings the Region the Region has (complete or under construction).
• the Security of that Region.
• the Loyalty of that Region.
• if the Region holds a Secret Army.
You choose. You may learn a number of the above facts equal to the rank of your Spy Network. If your Spy Master participates in the action, you may add his Cunning to the rank of the Action.


So what gives? The action on page 245 seems to be mandatory for a conquest, but still very similar in intent to page 270.
"No rulebook has deserved the name 'rules bible' more than 'Houses of the Blooded'." (a friend about all the discussions, corrections and additions to the HotB rules on the forums and in our gaming group)
User avatar
Ashkelion-Yvarai
 
Posts: 161
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:04 am

Re: Espionage Action: Spying on Regions

Postby JohnWick » Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:41 pm

Ashkelion-Yvarai wrote:There are two descriptions for Spying on Regions in the Seasons chapter. Both seem to contradict each other.

On page 245 John Wick wrote:First, you must spend an Espionage Action to look at your enemy’s Regions. You can see a number of your enemy’s Regions equal to the rank of your Spy Network. A rank 1 Spy Network can use a Season Action to look at one Region. A rank 3 Spy Network can use one Season Action to look at three Regions.
Looking at Regions gives you the following information:
• The Region’s rank.
• The Region’s Improvements.
• If any Vassals are in the Region.


On page 270 John Wick wrote:You may choose to use your Spy Network to spy on foreign Regions. If successful, you discover a number of the following facts equal to your Spy Network's rank:
• what Resources the Region is producing this Season.
• what Holdings the Region the Region has (complete or under construction).
• the Security of that Region.
• the Loyalty of that Region.
• if the Region holds a Secret Army.
You choose. You may learn a number of the above facts equal to the rank of your Spy Network. If your Spy Master participates in the action, you may add his Cunning to the rank of the Action.


So what gives? The action on page 245 seems to be mandatory for a conquest, but still very similar in intent to page 270.


#270 is correct.
The Reverend John Wick, PhD, D.M., KoAL, G.M., ST, Narr., G.A.M.E.R., Master Mason
User avatar
JohnWick
Site Admin
 
Posts: 581
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:04 pm

Re: Espionage Action: Spying on Regions

Postby Ashkelion-Yvarai » Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:54 pm

Thanks a lot. :) So, which of the facts listed on page 270 do I need to know to start a conquest?
It would seem as if Loyalty, number of Holdings, and Secret Army yes/no is what I would need to know.
"No rulebook has deserved the name 'rules bible' more than 'Houses of the Blooded'." (a friend about all the discussions, corrections and additions to the HotB rules on the forums and in our gaming group)
User avatar
Ashkelion-Yvarai
 
Posts: 161
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:04 am

Re: Espionage Action: Spying on Regions

Postby JohnWick » Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:48 pm

Ashkelion-Yvarai wrote:Thanks a lot. :) So, which of the facts listed on page 270 do I need to know to start a conquest?
It would seem as if Loyalty, number of Holdings, and Secret Army yes/no is what I would need to know.


Well, you need to know what's there if you want to sabotage or steal it.
The Reverend John Wick, PhD, D.M., KoAL, G.M., ST, Narr., G.A.M.E.R., Master Mason
User avatar
JohnWick
Site Admin
 
Posts: 581
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:04 pm

Re: Espionage Action: Spying on Regions

Postby Alexai Adrente » Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:09 pm

So, does that mean the best defense against being "bothered" by your neighbors is to have your rank 3 spy ring spend one of their actions each season defending your domain, plus having your cunning 4 spy master use one of his actions to defend as well, giving you 10 dice to defend against enemy reconnaisance?

Alexai
"One may know how to gain a victory, and know not how to use it."
User avatar
Alexai Adrente
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:50 am

Re: Espionage Action: Spying on Regions

Postby JohnWick » Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:33 am

Alexai Adrente wrote:So, does that mean the best defense against being "bothered" by your neighbors is to have your rank 3 spy ring spend one of their actions each season defending your domain, plus having your cunning 4 spy master use one of his actions to defend as well, giving you 10 dice to defend against enemy reconnaisance?

Alexai


Hells yes.
The Reverend John Wick, PhD, D.M., KoAL, G.M., ST, Narr., G.A.M.E.R., Master Mason
User avatar
JohnWick
Site Admin
 
Posts: 581
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:04 pm

Re: Espionage Action: Spying on Regions

Postby joshroby » Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:35 pm

JohnWick wrote:Well, you need to know what's there if you want to sabotage or steal it.


So how do you determine what regions an NPC noble has?
joshroby
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:16 pm

Re: Espionage Action: Spying on Regions

Postby JohnWick » Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:06 pm

joshroby wrote:
JohnWick wrote:Well, you need to know what's there if you want to sabotage or steal it.


So how do you determine what regions an NPC noble has?


With Espionage Actions.
The Reverend John Wick, PhD, D.M., KoAL, G.M., ST, Narr., G.A.M.E.R., Master Mason
User avatar
JohnWick
Site Admin
 
Posts: 581
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:04 pm

Re: Espionage Action: Spying on Regions

Postby forvrin » Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:39 am

not to be flippant, but this is what I'm noodlin' and wondering if this is more like what you were imagining.


Character A decides to have her Spy Network take an Espionage Action to spy on "Character B's Forest Region"

Up to now, Character B has never been mentioned; Character A is bringing it in as the narrative.

Character A's Spy Network engages in an Espionage Risk w/ B's security rating for her province. The precise level of the security rating is up to the Narrator but I rank it Good Form to be w/in 1d of A's Spy Network Rating. (if A's Spy Network is a Rank 3, the province's security rating should be 2 - 4, and so on)

If A's Spies win Privelege, she gets to declare, "The Chisolm Forest exists," and learn stuff about it.

Is this right?
forvrin
 

Re: Espionage Action: Spying on Regions

Postby JohnWick » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:17 pm

forvrin wrote:not to be flippant, but this is what I'm noodlin' and wondering if this is more like what you were imagining.


Character A decides to have her Spy Network take an Espionage Action to spy on "Character B's Forest Region"

Up to now, Character B has never been mentioned; Character A is bringing it in as the narrative.

Character A's Spy Network engages in an Espionage Risk w/ B's security rating for her province. The precise level of the security rating is up to the Narrator but I rank it Good Form to be w/in 1d of A's Spy Network Rating. (if A's Spy Network is a Rank 3, the province's security rating should be 2 - 4, and so on)

If A's Spies win Privelege, she gets to declare, "The Chisolm Forest exists," and learn stuff about it.

Is this right?


You got it right.
The Reverend John Wick, PhD, D.M., KoAL, G.M., ST, Narr., G.A.M.E.R., Master Mason
User avatar
JohnWick
Site Admin
 
Posts: 581
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:04 pm


Return to Frequently Asked Questions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron