Using Wager with the Defend Maneuver?

One question per post, please!

Moderator: Snag

Using Wager with the Defend Maneuver?

Postby JADettman » Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:53 pm

Can wagers be used with the Defend Maneuver to reduce the number of ranks an Injury does beyond a Ven's ranks in the Maneuver?

Example:
Kirin is in a Duel with Arbogast and is the attacker. Her intent is to stab Arbogast in the chest. Arbogast's intent is to parry her thrust.

Kirin wins the roll and gains Privilege but, even after losing half of his wagers, Arbogast has 2 wagers left. Kirin uses her wagers to do a rank 3 Injury to Arbogast but Arbogast wants to use his wagers to reduce the rank of the Injury to 1.

Best,

--Jason
JADettman

Re: Using Wager with the Defend Maneuver?

Postby JohnWick » Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:55 pm

JADettman wrote:Can wagers be used with the Defend Maneuver to reduce the number of ranks an Injury does beyond a Ven's ranks in the Maneuver?

Example:
Kirin is in a Duel with Arbogast and is the attacker. Her intent is to stab Arbogast in the chest. Arbogast's intent is to parry her thrust.

Kirin wins the roll and gains Privilege but, even after losing half of his wagers, Arbogast has 2 wagers left. Kirin uses her wagers to do a rank 3 Injury to Arbogast but Arbogast wants to use his wagers to reduce the rank of the Injury to 1.

Best,

--Jason

Yes.
The Reverend John Wick, PhD, D.M., KoAL, G.M., ST, Narr., G.A.M.E.R., Master Mason
JohnWick
Site Admin

Postby CodexArcanum » Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:56 pm

Is the base rank in Injure and Defend 0 or is it 1? That would have an effect. (I can ask a new question if I'm showing Bad Form in the FAQ.) It also means that, I believe, a defend maneuver is always going to reduce an injury by 1.

Hehe, and if you assume that Injury can never go over 5, you can never get killed in combat so long as you always defend (though you will get the everloving crap beaten out of you.)
CodexArcanum

Postby JohnWick » Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:35 am

CodexArcanum wrote:Is the base rank in Injure and Defend 0 or is it 1? That would have an effect. (I can ask a new question if I'm showing Bad Form in the FAQ.) It also means that, I believe, a defend maneuver is always going to reduce an injury by 1.

Hehe, and if you assume that Injury can never go over 5, you can never get killed in combat so long as you always defend (though you will get the everloving crap beaten out of you.)

The base rank is 0.

And you can get killed. "My intent is to aggrivate your current Injury by one rank." If I succeed, your rank 1 Injury turns into a rank 2 Injury, plus any bonuses from the Injure Maneuver or wagers.
The Reverend John Wick, PhD, D.M., KoAL, G.M., ST, Narr., G.A.M.E.R., Master Mason
JohnWick
Site Admin

Return to Frequently Asked Questions