Mass Murder

One question per post, please!

Moderator: Snag

Mass Murder

Postby bdcurd » Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:32 am

Hi

Just want to run this through and see if I'm missing something.

Let's say my Ven encounters a couple of Orks (or Pirates or whatever) and there's a fight, which means I pull out the Mass Murder rules. Three or more means it isn't a duel.

Both sides collect dice, wager and roll.

How does this work?

I'd interpreted it that the Narrator needs to wager for the Orks in order to use the Mass Murder rules - maybe not?

I'd also interpreted that the spending of wagers after the rolls alternates between victor and defeated, though it may be that the victor expends all his wagers first. I wasn't clear on this.

Anyway if it is alternating then it appears the Ven is guaranteed to take a rank 5 injury unless he has appropriate maneuvers he can employ to save himself. My thinking being that, assuming the Ven wins, he gets all his wagers. As the losers the Orks get half rounded up, say 1. So the Ven goes first and with his first wager inflicts a rank 5 injury on one of the Orks. Then it's the Orks turn and the remaining Ork uses their one wager to inflict a rank 5 injury on the Ven.

Is this right? Can anyone clarify how this is intended to work with an example please?

Apologies if I've missed the answer to this somewhere else

Thanks

Bruce
bdcurd

Re: Mass Murder

Postby Snag » Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:08 am

Both sides collect dice, make wagers, and roll, correct.

Do you have roadmen with you, or Personal Guard? If so, then you have more dice on your side, one per rank of appropriate vassal. (Seneschals, craftsmen. etc, do not count.)

If so, (and the roll goes right), then you win, you get to say who goes first, you or the orks.

Now, the number of dice the orks get, directly relates to their rank. But if you're the only blooded and you have your retainers with you, then you have a fighting chance.

Does that clarify, or do you need more?
Snag, O.T.D.O
Caffeine enabler
Blooded of the Raven? No? Damnation.

My Plains produce Win!
Snag

Postby bdcurd » Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:05 am

Hi Snag

Thanks for the reply, very helpful. Just a bit more clarification please.

I was specifically looking at a case where it was one Ven vs two Orks. No Roadmen or Personal Guard - maybe that's just asking for trouble - I mean it's dangerous out there and unadvisable to go wandering around without your Personal Guard I would think :)

However, in a 1 vs 2 case (assuming the spending of wagers alternates) as there's just one of me. I spend the first one of however many wagers I made and allocate a Rank 5 Injury to one of the Orks. Then they spend their one wager and allocate a Rank 5 Injury to me. Now I'm down and out. Game over. I don't get to allocate any more wagers.

As long as the Orks succeeded with one wager it doesn't matter how many I succeeded with because I can't get both of them before they get me. Is that right?
bdcurd

Postby Snag » Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:41 am

If you're by your lonesome, then yes. (Silly ven, why are you travelling Shanri alone? The world is The Great Enemy and it wishes you no good at all!) The only way to get out of that is to have the advanced maneuvers of Dodge (avoid all injury) or Parry (reduce injury by one rank), or to have the Wolf blessing of Teeth and Claws, which permits you to spend two wagers in a row.

Mind you, even if you're dropped by a rank 5 injury, doesn't necessarily mean that the remaining ork is going to drop you right there. Perhaps the orks are curious and want to keep you prisoner, or perhaps they wish to have a slave? (Orks making decisions? Orks communicating? Madness!)
Snag, O.T.D.O
Caffeine enabler
Blooded of the Raven? No? Damnation.

My Plains produce Win!
Snag

Postby bdcurd » Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:33 am

Thanks. That's very clear Snag. Much appreciated.
bdcurd

Postby Ashkelion-Yvarai » Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:21 pm

Snag wrote:(Seneschals, craftsmen. etc, do not count.)

Named NPCs in your employ should count as one ven (i.e. one die). Otherwise having a swordsmaster, a master of the road, or a general is kind of pointless. And also remember: vasalls can still take injuries for your character.
"No rulebook has deserved the name 'rules bible' more than 'Houses of the Blooded'." (a friend about all the discussions, corrections and additions to the HotB rules on the forums and in our gaming group)
Ashkelion-Yvarai

Return to Frequently Asked Questions