Wagers & Defining the World

One question per post, please!

Moderator: Snag

Wagers & Defining the World

Postby ARudzki » Sat May 21, 2011 12:08 pm

Probably a stupid question, but here it goes:

When you take a risk, you can set aside Wagers. Wagers let you define an additional fact about the outcome of the risk, yes?

I suppose that's my question: Yes or no, Wagers always let you define an additional fact about the outcome of the risk, save for the situations in the book where Wagers serve a different purpose (Insult, Visions, Romance, and the like)?

I ask because Strength seems, across the board, to let you add details to actions of daring-do. Cunning lets you actually define the surroundings to a degree.

Courage?

Wisdom lets you actually define facts about people, what you know, and similar.

Beauty?

Prowess lets you actually define portions of the scene that are advantageous to violence.

So, do *all* Virtues (and associated dice, in a typical risk) allow you to define Facts about the outcome, and those above just have specific perks? Or, rather is each supposed to be used solely for those sorts of definitions? If I make a Beauty risk to win a game of poems in a Baron's court, I can or cannot use the Wagers to say "everyone is impressed," "except for the Baron's lover," "who now eyes me viciously from the shadows"? Strength lets me define things like landing on balconies after failing jumps, could Cunning or Courage function in similar capacities in the right situation? (Say, I fail a Courage risk to charge passed a heavily armed guard, I take what left-over wager I have to narrate a nearby hallway I proceed down, instead?)

How strict are you in interpreting the job of Wagers?
Sometimes I roll dice and make stuff up about it (http://20facets.wordpress.com)

"I fought for the most glorious woman of a glorious race, and I fought for a great love and for the mother of my boy."
ARudzki

Re: Wagers & Defining the World

Postby Keith Fyans » Sat May 21, 2011 11:53 pm

So, do *all* Virtues (and associated dice, in a typical risk) allow you to define Facts about the outcome, and those above just have specific perks? ... If I make a Beauty risk to win a game of poems in a Baron's court, I can or cannot use the Wagers to say "everyone is impressed," "except for the Baron's lover," "who now eyes me viciously from the shadows"?

As I understand the rulebook, yes.
Glasgow Indie Gamers - Website ~ Facebook ~ Twitter
Keith Fyans

Postby ARudzki » Sun May 22, 2011 12:37 am

Sounds awesome to me. Just wanted to check it with someone else. :D Thank you!
Sometimes I roll dice and make stuff up about it (http://20facets.wordpress.com)

"I fought for the most glorious woman of a glorious race, and I fought for a great love and for the mother of my boy."
ARudzki

Postby Nihilistic Mind » Wed May 25, 2011 11:05 pm

Try to run it loosely. Then pull back until you feel comfortable.

For instance, let's use the example from the book which you mentioned above. The Strength Risk to jump across rooftops, privilege lands the protagonist on a balcony, then with remaining wagers the player could possibly describe the balcony, or the nature of the relationship the protagonist has with the owner of the house, etc...

Once you've determined Privilege, the remainder of the wagers could potentially be used to define other interesting facts about the story.

If that idea doesn't work for you and you want to be more strict about Wagers and what they define then apply the following: If the player sticks to describing the outcome of the risk rather than going too far with Wagers, you can reward them with Style. Soon enough, they'll have Style to fuel other elements of the story, etc, outside of pertinent Risks.
"Sparrow, I'll call you back. I've just gutted a man with a shard of wood and I need to make sure he's dead... I think you're right, Sparrow. I am a bad, bad man..."
~~Dr. Xander Crowe, WORMWOOD.
Nihilistic Mind
Site Admin

Return to Frequently Asked Questions