Lies and Dice

One question per post, please!

Moderator: Snag

Lies and Dice

Postby Mordaith » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:55 am

Very much like my last question. The rules say you are allowed to lie about your dice results, and the amount that you wager in the roll.

Does this mean the act of lying about your dice roll is simply "accepting a lower results". How do you effectively hide wagered dice?

Sorry for all the questions, my friends are clamoring to give this game a try. I plan on running a demo of it in a few days.
Mordaith

Re: Lies and Dice

Postby Nihilistic Mind » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:10 am

I don't recall what it said about wagered dice, please reference a page number so that I can look this over.
My current assumption is the following:

My character Arisaph Steele is a Cunning charming young man, but I, the player, want to introduce him as a non-socially strong character. In situations in which he can write up contracts with others, the character would normally get me a pool of dice as follows: Cunning Virtue (5) + Bureaucrat Aspect (3) + Arisaph's secret name (2)...
Because in this hypothetical situation I am playing in a cutthroat game, I don't want any other players to know that my virtue is a 5, or that I have the Bureaucrat Aspect, and I don't want them to know my secret name, so I put my character in situations like this to really show them how weak he is socially, by gathering 4 dice, which is much less than 5+3+2...
In this example I choose to roll less dice, and probably even choose to lose privilege to make a point about my character's 'apparent social weakness'. In this case, I don't roll my entire potential pool of dice and choose to only reveal 4 dice, I simply decide to roll less dice, although it could be done that way too.

Anyways, imaginary example aside, it depends how you and your group wish to run/play the game. I think what John was getting at is that if you want to "cheat" that way as a player, you have his permission (not that you needed it as long as your Narrator is ok with it ;) ).
Hope this helps!
"Sparrow, I'll call you back. I've just gutted a man with a shard of wood and I need to make sure he's dead... I think you're right, Sparrow. I am a bad, bad man..."
~~Dr. Xander Crowe, WORMWOOD.
Nihilistic Mind
Site Admin

Return to Frequently Asked Questions