Names of Seasons?

One question per post, please!

Moderator: Snag

Names of Seasons?

Postby Nephandus » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:26 pm

I've looked through the yllan'vana and I can't find any mention of the ven names for the seasons. Have those been pinned down anywhere yet, or shall I just make something... err, I mean, consult the histories. Yeah.
Nephandus

Re: Names of Seasons?

Postby Nephandus » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:10 pm

So, some suggestions based on further perusal of the lexicon and other fragments;

Spring - Aelvetha, "Stars in the Soil", when Shanri blooms and shows her Beauty.
Summer - Aardain, "Sunwatch", when Shanru Domya aarda elru, "The Merciless Mother's Lidless Eye Sees All".
Autumn - Pahvaytha, “Beauty Fades”, when the world foreshadows the pain to come.
Winter - q'va Domya, "Mother's Solace", when the snow is like vaq'n on the shoulders of the land.

Obviously I'm no linguist, so my translations are probably poor, and as usual with the ven, they probably had more than one name, or the names referred to more than one thing. Their language is tricksome and dynamic.
Nephandus

Re: Names of Seasons?

Postby Nephandus » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:12 pm

Aaand naturally as soon as I post this I find wunderworks' calendar post from 2008... ah well. At least my names come with rough translations =P
Nephandus

Return to Frequently Asked Questions