What's the point of Strike Bids?

One question per post, please!

Moderator: Snag

Re: What's the point of Strike Bids?

Postby Kasurai » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:42 pm

Not quite ... Here are the changes I'd make to your statement:

The winner of the strike bid has the option of announcing his intention first or second (i.e. whether he wants to be attacker or defender, or else let his opponent decide).

The loser of the strike bid waits for the winner's decision and announces his intention accordingly.

Even if the attacker lost the contested roll, they can still spend wagers on "attacker" advanced maneuvers whose prerequisites he still meets. (Injure cannot be used because it explicitly requires winning the contested roll.)

Even if the defender lost the contested roll, they can still spend wagers on "defender" advanced maneuvers whose prerequisites he still meets. (Defend cannot be used because it explicitly requires winning the contested roll.)

Wagers can be spent in a Duel on: 1) increasing the rank of an Injury from a successful attack, or 2) an advanced maneuver. (I presume that Wagers can also be used to add narrative elements or be banked for Style, as with any Risk.)

The three benefits to winning the contested roll are 1.) You keep all your wagers and the opponent only gets half (as usual), 2.) You get to determine if you succeed or fail your Injure/Defend maneuver (depending on your role), and 3.) You determine who spends the first wager.

The winner of the contested roll always determines who spends the first wager.
Last edited by Kasurai on Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kasurai
ven Lexicographer
Kasurai

Postby Skaldsaga » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:51 pm

bluegargantua wrote:The winner of the strike bid is the attacker and his intent is always to injure the opponent.

Almost, the way I read it is, the winner gets to declare his intent first. It could to defend, but probably not.
The attacker's intent is to injure.

bluegargantua wrote:The loser of the strike bid is the defender and his intent is always to avoid being injured.
Again, not always. If the winner of the strike bid intents was to defend, then in that case the loser would be the attacker. But as the defender, yes his intent is to not get injured.

bluegargantua wrote:Even if the attacker lost the contested roll, they can still spend wagers to Injure the defender (or on other maneuvers that support this).

Not quite, if the defender wins, and gets privilege and he says, "I block your attack." The Attacker can't say "but I still hit you", unless he can use an advance maneuver to do so. But if the defender says, "Shara's splendid dress distracts me as I try to block the incoming attack." The defender elects to spend their first wager, "and you stab me." Then the attacker could spend their wagers to increase the wound.

bluegargantua wrote:Even if the defender lost the contested roll, they can still spend wagers to Defend against the attacker (or on other maneuvers that support this).

Yes, this looks mostly right. Unless the attack that gained privilege to say he misses in his attack.

bluegargantua wrote:These are the only ways to spend wagers in a duel.

No, you can use them to define the scene like in other risks.
Player A: "When you cut me, blood from the wound splashed onto Lady Shara's Splendid dress."
Player B "and she blames you (Player A) for the stained dress."

Or "Servants rush in shouting something about the castle being on fire."
Or "You realize the person you are fighting is not Count Kether." (Provided your not fight a PC) and then spends another wager "but your lost lover."

bluegargantua wrote:The two benefits to winning the contested roll are 1.) You keep all your wagers and the opponent only gets half (as usual) and 2.) You get one free Injure/Defend (depending on your role).

1. Yes.
2. Yes on Injure. Defend can be use on a successful injury.

bluegargantua wrote:The attacker always determines who spends the first wager.

No the one who gets privilege.
I stopped fighting the inner demons. We’re on the same side now.
Skaldsaga

Postby bluegargantua » Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:38 am

Yes, wagers can be spent on narrative "outside the duel" kinds of stuff, but the key bit is only the attacker can cause harm to the defender (when the attacker gets their intent) and the defender can only prevent harm from the attacker when defending and can't harm the attacker (maneuvers may modify this). In other words -- the strike bid is important because the winner determines who the attacker will be and (in most cases) only the attacker can cause harm and get closer to winning the duel.

So now strike bids make sense.
bluegargantua

Postby Mortimer_Phist » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:54 am

Then does it mean that duelist with Prowess 3 with no propper Aspect and name is almost certain loser against his enemy with dice pool 8 or 9, who can afford himself at least 1 or 2 dice for strike bid and 2-3 more on wages? Even if the roll of the second duelist will be a fail, then the first cannot attack him for he declared his intention as the defend.
Mortimer_Phist

Previous

Return to Frequently Asked Questions