How often can you get Artifact points from Ruins?

One question per post, please!

Moderator: Snag

How often can you get Artifact points from Ruins?

Postby bluegargantua » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:04 am

Hi,

A Rank 1 ruin produces one Artifact point per season (2 if a group explores the Ruin).

A Rank 3 ruin produces three Artifact points per season (6 if a group explores the Ruin).

How many times (seasons) can you explore a Ruin to gain Artifact points? When does it run out?

later
Tom
bluegargantua

Re: How often can you get Artifact points from Ruins?

Postby JLHBurnett » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:19 am

From the way I read it, a rank 1 or rank 2 ruin can generate as many artifacts as you'd like. Once you make it a rank 3 ruin, you can tap it once, then it's empty.

Keep in mind, though, those dozens of rank 1 and 2 artifacts are still going to create Doom!
-Joshua LH Burnett-

http://www.HexGames.com
JLHBurnett

Postby Ashkelion-Yvarai » Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:22 pm

Check out page 279 about Ruins:

"Each time your ven explore a Ruin, it increases by one rank. Once a Ruin reaches rank 3, either you, your Spouse or your Seneschal can spend a Season Action to convert it into a normal Region (Forest, Plains, Mountains, etc.) or it can be converted into a Puzzle House."

Also check page 295 about Finding Artifacts and Rituals

"Exploring a Ruin costs a Season Action or an Adventure. If a single ven uses his Season Action to find an Artifact, he closes out that Ruin for any further exploration that Season. No other ven can explore that Ruin. ... Each Ruin produces a number of Artifact Points per Season equal to the Ruin’s rank. Thus, a 1 Ruin produces 1 Artifact Point per Season. A 3 Ruin produces three Ruin points per Season. After a rank 3 Ruin has been explored, no more Artifacts can be found there."

The way I read those two pages is:

I can either explore a ruin as a season action (or adventure), gaining artifact points equal to the rank of the ruin.
Then no other ven can explore the ruin. And the ruin increases by one rank.

Or a group of ven can explore a ruin as an adventure, gaining a total of artifact points equal to twice the rank of the ruin.
Then no other ven can explore the ruin this season. And the ruin increases by one rank.

When the ruin hits rank 3, you can explore it one final time, afterwards you can convert the ruin into a puzzle house.

So, in the end I can gain 6 artifact points from a ruin I explore single-handedly. 1x rank 1 + 1x rank 2 + 1x rank 3.
If a group of ven explores a ruin they can get at most 12 artifact points from a ruin. 2x rank 1 + 2x rank 2 + 2x rank 3.

After a rank 3 ruin has been explored, it can be converted into a puzzle house for partying.
"No rulebook has deserved the name 'rules bible' more than 'Houses of the Blooded'." (a friend about all the discussions, corrections and additions to the HotB rules on the forums and in our gaming group)
Ashkelion-Yvarai

Postby JLHBurnett » Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:49 pm

Ashkelion-Yvarai wrote:Check out page 279 about Ruins:

"Each time your ven explore a Ruin, it increases by one rank. Once a Ruin reaches rank 3, either you, your Spouse or your Seneschal can spend a Season Action to convert it into a normal Region (Forest, Plains, Mountains, etc.) or it can be converted into a Puzzle House."

Ah! I had missed or forgotten that part on page 279. That changes things a bit. I think you've got it figured out correctly, though. Thanks for the clarification. :)
-Joshua LH Burnett-

http://www.HexGames.com
JLHBurnett

Return to Frequently Asked Questions