Vassals' Season Actions

One question per post, please!

Moderator: Snag

Vassals' Season Actions

Postby Snag » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:51 am

When Vassals have nothing better to do, (Roadmen, Secret Army or Staff with no trouble to quell, Spy Nets being kept at home, Maids/Valets pretty much anytime they're not aiding their leige, etc), are they able to self-train, rather than being trained by their leige or leige's spouse? It doesn't precisely say they can, but it doesn't say they can't, either.

Furthermore, if they've been given Cunning as a Virtue (Thus providing bonus Season Actions, in the case of single entity NPCs rather than Band Vassals), are they able to split their time to both do their job and self-train for a Season Action?
Snag, O.T.D.O
Caffeine enabler
Blooded of the Raven? No? Damnation.

My Plains produce Win!
Snag

Re: Vassals' Season Actions

Postby Skaldsaga » Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:58 am

Snag wrote:When Vassals have nothing better to do, (Roadmen, Secret Army or Staff with no trouble to quell, Spy Nets being kept at home, Maids/Valets pretty much anytime they're not aiding their leige, etc), are they able to self-train, rather than being trained by their leige or leige's spouse? It doesn't precisely say they can, but it doesn't say they can't, either.

I would so no. Because they are not cool enough to be able to do that. Master Vassals I would say could, but that would be up to the Narrator to decide if they do or not.

Here's a couple of examples which make me think so.
On page 254 Personal Training wrote: "The instructor spends the Season Action, not the pupil."

On page 255 Vassal Training wrote: "You [c]an also spend a Season Action improving one of your Vassal's abilities. If you spend a Season Action on one of your Vassals, that Vassal's rank increases by one."

On News and Design Blog - The Valet Game wrote:"Now, like other Vassals, you remain a rank 1 Vassal until your noble spends Season Actions to increase your rank."
I stopped fighting the inner demons. We’re on the same side now.
Skaldsaga

Postby JohnWick » Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:59 am

Snag wrote:When Vassals have nothing better to do, (Roadmen, Secret Army or Staff with no trouble to quell, Spy Nets being kept at home, Maids/Valets pretty much anytime they're not aiding their leige, etc), are they able to self-train, rather than being trained by their leige or leige's spouse? It doesn't precisely say they can, but it doesn't say they can't, either.

Furthermore, if they've been given Cunning as a Virtue (Thus providing bonus Season Actions, in the case of single entity NPCs rather than Band Vassals), are they able to split their time to both do their job and self-train for a Season Action?

That's two questions, sir. ;)

Vassals cannot self-train.

If an NPC Vassal has Cunning, yes he can split his actions between his lord's lands and his own... if his lord deems it fit for his Vassal to have lands of his own. And yes, an NPC with cunning can self-train himself.
The Reverend John Wick, PhD, D.M., KoAL, G.M., ST, Narr., G.A.M.E.R., Master Mason
JohnWick
Site Admin

Postby Alexai Adrente » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:11 am

I think this is more of a follow up question than a brand new one, so I'll ask it here. On pg. 255 under the Vassal Training section, it says that if you spend a Season Action on one of your Vassals, that Vassal's rank increases by one. Then it goes on to say that increasing a Vassals rank costs a number of Season actions equal to the new rank.

So, my question is... Does the training take just one season, or must I spend one season action per season until I reach the 2 or 3 seasons needed to train up a vassal to rank 2 and 3 respectively.
In addition, training a master vassal once you have an appropriate rank 3 vassal takes a single Season Action?

Thanks,
Alexai
"One may know how to gain a victory, and know not how to use it."
Alexai Adrente

Postby Snag » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:16 am

Alexai Adrente wrote:I think this is more of a follow up question than a brand new one, so I'll ask it here. On pg. 255 under the Vassal Training section, it says that if you spend a Season Action on one of your Vassals, that Vassal's rank increases by one. Then it goes on to say that increasing a Vassals rank costs a number of Season actions equal to the new rank.

So, my question is... Does the training take just one season, or must I spend one season action per season until I reach the 2 or 3 seasons needed to train up a vassal to rank 2 and 3 respectively.
In addition, training a master vassal once you have an appropriate rank 3 vassal takes a single Season Action?

Thanks,
Alexai

One season action per season per desired rank. One to 2 costs 2 seasons, 2 to 3 costs 3 seasons. As for the phrasing in the book, I suspect slight typo or previous draft phrasing that didn't get edited.

Master Vassal: Yes. Once they're rank 3, it takes one more season to NPC-ify 'em.
Snag, O.T.D.O
Caffeine enabler
Blooded of the Raven? No? Damnation.

My Plains produce Win!
Snag

Return to Frequently Asked Questions