Court Scholars and Magic Research

One question per post, please!

Moderator: Snag

Court Scholars and Magic Research

Postby JLHBurnett » Fri May 29, 2009 1:04 pm

I get the feeling this is a really dumb question, but It's got me confused nonetheless.

A Court Scholar vassal can use his season action to research rituals, one ritual per vassal rank.

Are these rituals he's learning for himself, or does his liege (the PC) learn these rituals?
-Joshua LH Burnett-

http://www.HexGames.com
JLHBurnett

Re: Court Scholars and Magic Research

Postby JohnWick » Fri May 29, 2009 1:35 pm

He researches it for both of you.
The Reverend John Wick, PhD, D.M., KoAL, G.M., ST, Narr., G.A.M.E.R., Master Mason
JohnWick
Site Admin

Postby JLHBurnett » Fri May 29, 2009 4:45 pm

Slick!
:)
-Joshua LH Burnett-

http://www.HexGames.com
JLHBurnett

Postby Mailanka » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:21 am

Ok, hold on, I have a question here too.

So, a rank 3 Court Scholar researches 3 rituals per season "for free?" There's only 17 rituals listed in the book. In 6 seasons, you'll know every ritual in the game. That's a very short amount of time. Is that intentional? Or does research mean something other than what I think it means?
Mailanka

Postby Nihilistic Mind » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:48 am

You're correct, your court scholar can learn them that quickly, but for your character to know them, they still need to spend one season action teaching you each ritual. They can teach you the following season, of course, not the same season...
Additionally, researching a ritual costs 1 herb resource. I'm not sure if teaching a ritual costs 1 her resource as well but I would assume so...
"Sparrow, I'll call you back. I've just gutted a man with a shard of wood and I need to make sure he's dead... I think you're right, Sparrow. I am a bad, bad man..."
~~Dr. Xander Crowe, WORMWOOD.
Nihilistic Mind
Site Admin

Postby wunderworks » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:11 pm

Nihilistic Mind wrote:You're correct, your court scholar can learn them that quickly, but for your character to know them, they still need to spend one season action teaching you each ritual. They can teach you the following season, of course, not the same season...
Additionally, researching a ritual costs 1 herb resource. I'm not sure if teaching a ritual costs 1 her resource as well but I would assume so...

And, you can create more rituals for the game. There is no real limit to rituals except what is approved by the Narrator.
Author of World of Dew a samurai noir sequel to John Wick's Blood & Honor

"Forbearance is the root of quietness and assurance forever. "
~ Tokugawa Ieyasu ~
wunderworks
Site Admin

Postby Nihilistic Mind » Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:39 pm

wunderworks wrote:And, you can create more rituals for the game. There is no real limit to rituals except what is approved by the Narrator.

I think THAT is precisely why I don't know of any character who has learned all of the rituals in the book... Creativity is way more fun :) (Sorcerous Art FTW!)
"Sparrow, I'll call you back. I've just gutted a man with a shard of wood and I need to make sure he's dead... I think you're right, Sparrow. I am a bad, bad man..."
~~Dr. Xander Crowe, WORMWOOD.
Nihilistic Mind
Site Admin

Postby Lriot » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:10 am

So, a rank 3 Court Scholar researches 3 rituals per season "for free?"

No he can not.
See errata: viewtopic.php?p=6624#p6624 (nr 3. Vassal Season Actions)
Lriot

Return to Frequently Asked Questions