Page 1 of 3

Actively Using Courage

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:58 am
by khelek
From my reading, Courage appears to ypically be a limiting factor on performing an action. Granted, even with Failure, you may use Style to overcome the Ven's fear (lack of Courage) and take the action anyways.

however, I was wondering if there was a more active use of Courage. Roll Courage to explore the Ruined Complex. Roll Courage to win the Wager. Roll Courage to...

Where Courage itself allows Victory, rather than merely acting as a soft gateway to other types of conflicts.

Thoughts?

________
Jason

Re: Actively Using Courage

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:15 am
by JohnWick
Courage is an important Virtue, but it works differently than the others. It either gives you bonuses or hinders you. It's really the "resistance Virtue." It's what makes the Falcon so butch.

Re: Actively Using Courage

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:53 am
by Saint&Sinner
I've had people roll against Courage to talk to a tough Duke as an example. I also allowed the wagers to influence the situation. Was that 'wrong'? Should I have used Cunning only? I guess I was drawing a point on how hard it is to break into that social circle from the outside.

Re: Actively Using Courage

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:27 am
by Snag
The primary function of Courage seems to be to fend off the fear that's generated by orks. The higher rank ork, the more fear it's going to crank out. The description of the Virtue says anytime they have to show exceptional bravery in the face of danger or fight through the pain.

So, for the social circle thing, if that's how your Shanri works, then by all means have at it. It's perfectly reasonable to have a Courage risk to exceed one's regular social circle. Particularly given the way the ven enforce their own pecking order.

But, I wouldn't have 'em toss wagers into talking to a surly duke. That rather strikes me as a strict pass/fail kinda thing. Or if you do, like John said above, Courage gives bonuses or hinders you. So if the ones that make the risk and state that they approach the duke unafraid, perhaps you could modify the duke's reaction accordingly. (Especially if said duke is Falcon - he'd admire their cojones.) Alternatively, if the duke is the sort to expect his underlings to bow and scrape, a group that's standing tall in front of him might piss him off.

Re: Actively Using Courage

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:08 am
by JohnWick
Snag wrote:But, I wouldn't have 'em toss wagers into talking to a surly duke. That rather strikes me as a strict pass/fail kinda thing. Or if you do, like John said above, Courage gives bonuses or hinders you. So if the ones that make the risk and state that they approach the duke unafraid, perhaps you could modify the duke's reaction accordingly. (Especially if said duke is Falcon - he'd admire their cojones.) Alternatively, if the duke is the sort to expect his underlings to bow and scrape, a group that's standing tall in front of him might piss him off.


Knowing what you do about Duke Kether, do you think it'd be appropriate for your group to make Courage risks if one of you was alone in the room with him? ;)

Re: Actively Using Courage

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:15 am
by Snag
JohnWick wrote:
Snag wrote:But, I wouldn't have 'em toss wagers into talking to a surly duke. That rather strikes me as a strict pass/fail kinda thing. Or if you do, like John said above, Courage gives bonuses or hinders you. So if the ones that make the risk and state that they approach the duke unafraid, perhaps you could modify the duke's reaction accordingly. (Especially if said duke is Falcon - he'd admire their cojones.) Alternatively, if the duke is the sort to expect his underlings to bow and scrape, a group that's standing tall in front of him might piss him off.


Knowing what you do about Duke Kether, do you think it'd be appropriate for your group to make Courage risks if one of you was alone in the room with him? ;)


See, I was being general! ::Shakefist::

Re: Actively Using Courage

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:13 pm
by Ashkelion-Yvarai
JohnWick wrote:Knowing what you do about Duke Kether...


He's a duke now? When and how did that happen?

Re: Actively Using Courage

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:19 pm
by Snag
Ashkelion-Yvarai wrote:
JohnWick wrote:Knowing what you do about Duke Kether...


He's a duke now? When and how did that happen?


Not sure.. that happened before I started playing in one of the games.

Re: Actively Using Courage

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:41 pm
by wunderworks
Snag wrote:
Ashkelion-Yvarai wrote:
JohnWick wrote:Knowing what you do about Duke Kether...


He's a duke now? When and how did that happen?


Not sure.. that happened before I started playing in one of the games.


I also played in a game where Count Kether was killed. That was very satisfying. ^_^

Re: Actively Using Courage

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:44 pm
by Snag
wunderworks wrote:I also played in a game where Count Kether was killed. That was very satisfying. ^_^


Oh man, that sounds sweet...