Actively Using Courage

One question per post, please!

Moderator: Snag

Re: Actively Using Courage

Postby khelek » Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:42 am

Off topic! Cowards!

I still think it is a valid question. my friend reminded me about the Knife Game which uses courage. However, I still want my Falcon to be able to accomplish tasks with Courage. Rather than be allowed to Attempt Risks. If the only difference between a Coward (Courage Weakness) and a umm Paragon Falcon (Courage 5) is that the Coward has to spend a Style point to undertake some risks, then it loses a significant portion of its ummph.

In all other cases (baring bonus dice), A character with a Weakness in th Virtue at hand must think of something else. this is not the case for Courage.

I guess in my mind (a very mind that has become very story-gamey), Courage functions almost like luck... you trust your courage and you succeed. It is not a question of Prowess, but one of being willing to face the Orcs in their own nest. This is what sets the Falcons apart, is that they are willing to walk into danger that no one else would. it is not a question of them be good enough at sword play, or strong enough to beat their way out, or even cunning enough to get out alive. It is that they went in at all that makes them different.

I want that to be a facet of a game involving Falcons and characters with Weakness of Courage.

You are a Coward... then you better get drunk at your winery.

what I don't want to see is Courage used for common Ven actions... talking back to your Duke, use the standard rules. your a Ven, you should be talking back to your Duke. Want to approach the Marquis's wife, then do it, your a Ven.

Want to sail into a Winter Storm to rescue your paramore... make a courage risk... it is not a question of if you get there, but if you are willing to go at all.

EDIT: Spelling
___________
Jason
Last edited by khelek on Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
______________
Jason L.
User avatar
khelek
 
Posts: 66
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:48 am

Re: Actively Using Courage

Postby Ashkelion-Yvarai » Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:07 am

khelek wrote:If the only difference between a Coward (Courage Weakness) and a umm Paragon Falcon (Courage 5) is that the Coward has to spend a Style point to undertake soem risks, then it loses a significant portion of its ummph.


Having to spend a style point for each and every action undertaken in the face of a particular danger is a hefty price. This hurts even more than having to devise ways around a virtue. Consider the mortally injured coward. He has to spend two style points to do anything in the face of this particular danger.

And it's only orks who require Courage to face them. It's also dangerous social situation, entering those ruins, and braving certain parts of the wilderness of Shanri.
"No rulebook has deserved the name 'rules bible' more than 'Houses of the Blooded'." (a friend about all the discussions, corrections and additions to the HotB rules on the forums and in our gaming group)
User avatar
Ashkelion-Yvarai
 
Posts: 161
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:04 am

Re: Actively Using Courage

Postby Skaldsaga » Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:16 pm

:idea: Here's a thought.
I started a Story once by have all the Players Roll Wisdom and then use wagers to tell me what they know to be true about the Opera they were about to see.

If a Story comes up where Courage is involved, like; exploring Ruins, Hunt Orks, Bandits, The Storm, etc. I see them rolling Courage and using Wagers to define the Horrors they are about to experience.

It's sort of like walking through a Haunted House at Halloween. You know there is something waiting for you around the corner, you just don't know "What" it is until you round that corner. Your imagination runs wild with possibilities. Is it a harmless cat? Or is it a man with rusty knife ready to MURDER you? Either way, do you have the Courage to continue?

That way it also makes those that took Wisdom as a weakness a chance to say things true about a story. And those that took Courage as a weakness to sit back and experience all those horrors virtually helpless. Frozen with fear so to speak.
I stopped fighting the inner demons. We’re on the same side now.
User avatar
Skaldsaga
 
Posts: 70
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:03 pm
Location: Gilbert, AZ

Re: Actively Using Courage

Postby Ashkelion-Yvarai » Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:13 pm

Nice idea. I have something similar sitting at the back of my head. I usually start an adventure by laying out three truths and then asking the players for a Wisdom risk. But I would like to use other virtues, not always Wisdom to do this. For example, Beauty when attending parties and operas. Cunning when confronting a murder mystery. Courage for daring do's in the wilderness of Shanri. Prowess on the eve of battle, etc.
"No rulebook has deserved the name 'rules bible' more than 'Houses of the Blooded'." (a friend about all the discussions, corrections and additions to the HotB rules on the forums and in our gaming group)
User avatar
Ashkelion-Yvarai
 
Posts: 161
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:04 am

Re: Actively Using Courage

Postby elk » Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:36 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if one had a 5 in courage, wouldn't one be able to frequently make a courage roll with two wagers? And two wagers can be used to gain a style point. So a high courage character (especially if you can get 1 more die) confronted with with a sequence of dangerous situations is a Style generating machine! Never flinching! Steely gaze! Such,...such..., Style!

It does seem like 6 is the dice you need for that, though.
User avatar
elk
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:57 am

Re: Actively Using Courage

Postby Snag » Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:43 pm

elk wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but if one had a 5 in courage, wouldn't one be able to frequently make a courage roll with two wagers? And two wagers can be used to gain a style point. So a high courage character (especially if you can get 1 more die) confronted with with a sequence of dangerous situations is a Style generating machine! Never flinching! Steely gaze! Such,...such..., Style!

It does seem like 6 is the dice you need for that, though.


If it's important enough to the player/character, they can also have their name have a meaning that's synonymous with Courage, adding a die. And they can have an Aspect that is Courage related, adding 3 dice, bringing the total up to 9. If it's important enough to them, that is.
Snag, O.T.D.O
Caffeine enabler
Blooded of the Raven? No? Damnation.

My Plains produce Win!
User avatar
Snag
Moderator
 
Posts: 449
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:30 am
Location: Arizona

Re: Actively Using Courage

Postby Alexai Adrente » Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:19 pm

That's the problem though... without there being much to use Courage on, there is no real need to have a Courage higher than 2. The one great thing about Houses is John's concious attempt to make sure the mechanics encourage the players to do certain things. And while having Courage as a weakness has a hefty penalty, there isn't much benefit to improve your courage beyond the bare minimum needed to not be a Coward. Unless I'm missing something...

Alexai

Snag wrote:
elk wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but if one had a 5 in courage, wouldn't one be able to frequently make a courage roll with two wagers? And two wagers can be used to gain a style point. So a high courage character (especially if you can get 1 more die) confronted with with a sequence of dangerous situations is a Style generating machine! Never flinching! Steely gaze! Such,...such..., Style!

It does seem like 6 is the dice you need for that, though.


If it's important enough to the player/character, they can also have their name have a meaning that's synonymous with Courage, adding a die. And they can have an Aspect that is Courage related, adding 3 dice, bringing the total up to 9. If it's important enough to them, that is.
"One may know how to gain a victory, and know not how to use it."
User avatar
Alexai Adrente
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:50 am

Re: Actively Using Courage

Postby Snag » Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:28 pm

Sure there is! Ginormous brass cojones, and the banking of Style. Not only did you tell that duke to go piss up a rope, you looked cool doing it. The duke may hate you for the rest of your/his days, but everyone else has to tip their hats to the sheer testicular fortitude involved.
Snag, O.T.D.O
Caffeine enabler
Blooded of the Raven? No? Damnation.

My Plains produce Win!
User avatar
Snag
Moderator
 
Posts: 449
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:30 am
Location: Arizona

Re: Actively Using Courage

Postby khelek » Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:50 pm

Snag wrote:Sure there is! Ginormous brass cojones, and the banking of Style. Not only did you tell that duke to go piss up a rope, you looked cool doing it. The duke may hate you for the rest of your/his days, but everyone else has to tip their hats to the sheer testicular fortitude involved.


Snag -

However this can be said for EVERY attribute. Granted Courage can be a source or a Sink for Style. but is that what it is for? Hell you could take your Serpent Wisdom Risk at the start of sessions and turn that into Style too...

I want to encourage other uses than just 'Can I do this?' and gaining style... I want to do cool things that gain style. Thus why I started this tread in the first place.
______________
Jason L.
User avatar
khelek
 
Posts: 66
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:48 am

Re: Actively Using Courage

Postby Snag » Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:55 pm

khelek wrote:
Snag wrote:Sure there is! Ginormous brass cojones, and the banking of Style. Not only did you tell that duke to go piss up a rope, you looked cool doing it. The duke may hate you for the rest of your/his days, but everyone else has to tip their hats to the sheer testicular fortitude involved.


Snag -

However this can be said for EVERY attribute. Granted Courage can be a source or a Sink for Style. but is that what it is for? Hell you could take your Serpent Wisdom Risk at the start of sessions and turn that into Style too...

I want to encourage other uses than just 'Can I do this?' and gaining style... I want to do cool things that gain style. Thus why I started this tread in the first place.


Check out p. 133 - there's an example of Shara doing exactly that. Albeit, I gave an extreme example of the syndrome, but it's perfectly legal and encouraged to have Aspects and names apply to Courage.

Now if that's not your cuppa, that's cool too! But there's nothing wrong with the players having more Style - it'll just encourage them to go off in more fun directions.
Snag, O.T.D.O
Caffeine enabler
Blooded of the Raven? No? Damnation.

My Plains produce Win!
User avatar
Snag
Moderator
 
Posts: 449
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:30 am
Location: Arizona

PreviousNext

Return to Frequently Asked Questions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron