Dharenkies Erutck (Creating a Elk)

"Nobility is not only in the Blood, but in the purpose."

Moderator: Snag

Dharenkies Erutck (Creating a Elk)

Postby FCWesel » Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:24 am

So, I wanted to create a character. Sure I am the group's GM, but if I were to play in a game, this would be my character. Hopefully. I decided to try and do it step-by-step, posting it here. I hope that folks will be able to spot anywhere that I might have made an error, as well as be inspired, and maybe even get some help from it when making their own Ven characters.

So here we begin...
FCWesel

Re: Dharenkies Erutck (Creating a Elk)

Postby FCWesel » Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:59 am

Some Background.
Okay. What's the point of crafting a character without having something to go on. As I have been reading the book (at this point I am not done reading) I have been getting litttle flashes of ideas and thoughts about a character. How is my guy different than the other Ven? How is he the same? What is his story going to be about? What theme or point would one take away from reading a pillow book about Dharenkies?

Well, let me stop right there. Dharenkies. Yes, that's his name. It's a name I have given one or two NPCs across the years in a few games. D&D. Star Wars. Angel/Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I don't know, I have always liked the sound of it, and have always reserved it for a special character within a campaign. In all likelyhood, my first Houses of the Blooded campaign would have a NPC with this name. Not that "my guy" and the NPC in the game would be the same person, mind you. This is my "wish list" character. For me.

So, Dharenkies.

Oh, did I mention I know the final line of text in his final pillow book? When death takes him. It's also the first line in the first pillow book of his tale.

"Dharenkies shuddered with pain. Exquisite. His eyes opened, and for the first time he looked out upon the world before him and his eyes were green. Not the black of his birth. Not the black of his finding. Not the black of his Revenge, his life. Green. Exquisite. End."

What house do I want him to be from? I decided I don't care what house he's from. I will go with whatever the die roll on page 86 shows. Why so cavalier? It's not. You see, part of his past is that he's found. A child discovered on the steps of a castle entranceway.

So his parents...
I pick up my die and I roll.
Father gets a "2". Elk.
Mother gets a "2". Elk.
Very interesting.

At this point I wasn't sure what kind of Ven he was going to be. Did I want him to be a master of weapons? Of Sorcery? Of the arts? Instead, he is Cunning. A schemer. (My wife would say, "that figures.")

So his siblings...
Part of his backstory is obviously being an orphan, left alone on the steps to be taken in. From a story perspective, I wanted him to be a only child, that part of the reason he is taken in, is that the mother and father figures could not have a child. But, I decided that I would go with the roll of the dice at character generation. After all, I do have the three points to fudge the rolls with, after all.

So I roll Birth Order and get a 1. Perfect. At the very least this means that the mother of Dharenkies did not have a child until after Dharenkies came to the household. That could be of some interesting drama value.

Next I roll a d6-1 for the number of siblings and come up with a 2. Dharenkies has one sibling, unless I decide to fudge the die roll down. I decide not to, I like the idea of some adopted/blood sibling rivalry drama. I roll a odd die next, meaning that the sibling is a sister. A sister. Hmm, a thought comes to mind. Cool.

So his Family Standing...
I roll a 3 for family standing, Baron. I decide to one of my fudge points to move that to Count. Don't know why, just want them to be a bit more important than a Baron.

Here's what I have so far...
Dharenkies
House of the Elk
Parents: Count Elaon Ertuck and Countess Lillian Erutck
Sibling: Irigaine Erutck (Younger Sister)
Note: Foundling

By the way, Dharenkies means "Child of the Night Eyes".

Elaon and Lillian gave him that name because his eyes were and are Black. Black as in, he came into the world with Black eyes. He came into the world seeking Revenge. He doesn't know why, though he has some ideas. He doesn't know who. Or where.

He does have a secret name. It was whispered exactly once to him as a newborn child. The whisper was also the death rattle of the mother. The last word spoken of the mother was the first word heard by the child with Revenge eyes.
FCWesel

Postby FCWesel » Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:18 am

Age...
Dharenkies starts in Spring. I roll a 5 on the d6 for Age. 5 out of 60 until Summer; plenty of time to find my Revenge. My Revenge. Not his. Hmm, I am invested already. Cool.

Spouse & Children
I like the idea either way.
My roll comes up 6; Not Married. I could fudge it, but I won't. I have a few other ideas.
I decide to roll for children, for the heck of it. Perhaps he has a child. Perhaps he had a wife who died. Agony of childbirth. Ork raiders. Assassin's poison? But instead I roll a 2. No children. That's cool, too. (Yes, I know that since I didn't roll "yes" for a spouse that technically I didn't/shouldn't have rolled for a child, but what the hell.)

Dharnekies' Virtues...
Once Elk was chosen as his House, and key Virtue, I decided on what his Weakness was: Wisdom.

Dharenkies is unwise. It's, in part, because of the eyes that he looks upon the world through. The Hate that's maybe not even his blinds him to some degree. He is unwise, but shrewed and cunning. That's interesting to me. Here are his Virtues thus far:

BEAR: 2
ELK: 4
FALCON: 2
FOX: 4
SERPENT: W
WOLF: 3

I decided at first to give him a higher Prowess, but instead chose Beauty. That's more interesting, I think. Physical power and Courage are something Dharenkies will grow into as he experiences life more. Thus far in his life his mind has developed into a Cunning beast, his body trained with weapons and his spirit in love with Opera and music and art.
FCWesel

Postby FCWesel » Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:44 am

Aspects... This part will be tough. I would love any help or insights or dieas on this part...

I have an idea for one.

"Eyes Veiled in Black"
Dharenkies' eyes are Revenge. Born with the Black.
Invoke: The Black of his eyes finds weakness in others who Insult or Injure him. Weakness where blade or poison might slip in.
Tag: The blackness of his eyes always seek out future Revenge. How can one Trust when one is always looking for his Revenge? (This gives someone the ability to maybe twist Dharenkies perceptions to a negative view of someone/thing that is not so. This cannot be used by Dharenkies to detect something.)
Compel: Instead of seeing a freind or lover approaching him, the Black might show him an Enemy, thus he puts up a guard, a wall.

Looking in the book, I am looking at taking "Academy Educated" Aspect (p150). I don't want to negate his Weakness in Wisdom. At the same time, I should balance it out with an Aspect.

Here's one I am thinking about creating, and possibly taking instead of Academy Educated. It's a focused version of the Academy, really:

"Orks Fascinate Me"
Dharenkies' is unwise. Naive to the Ven world around him. But he has spent many hours in the libraries, learning about Orks. He doesn't know what it is about them that fascinates him.
Invoke: Dharenkies knows about orks. Habits. Rituals. Dangers. Breeding. Weaknesses and Strengths.
Tag: What has been written is not always true in the Wild.
Compel: Instead of killing a rare breed of ork, he might be disposed to study it. Orks don't like to be kept as pets.

Any thoughts?
FCWesel

Postby Ashkelion-Yvarai » Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:38 am

Yes, cool! The concept is very interesting. I might use it for NPC in my campaign, if you don't mind?
"No rulebook has deserved the name 'rules bible' more than 'Houses of the Blooded'." (a friend about all the discussions, corrections and additions to the HotB rules on the forums and in our gaming group)
Ashkelion-Yvarai

Postby FCWesel » Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:25 pm

Oh, of course. I am glad that it inspires. I hope to finish the character here on the boards in the next few days.
FCWesel

Postby FCWesel » Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:53 pm

Okay...Back to creation...

Contact
So I decide to roll what House Dharenkies contact comes from: I roll Elk. (Man, I just cannot get away from these guys.;))

Eramis Kell
Eramis and Dharenkies met when they were very young. They shared a mentor. A swordsman. A master of the sword and cloak. Eramis is an excellent swordsman. For an Elk, well, he doesn't always live up to the ideals of the House. He's far too honest. Which is what Dharenkies loves about him.

Devotions...
Tyane Bran. Keeper of Secrets, the Whisperer. How can a man with Black eyes not seek out the secret of his Life and Revenge? Tyane Bran. Rank 3. A wiser man might devote time to other Suavne. Dharenkies is nto a wise man, however.
FCWesel

Postby FCWesel » Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:10 pm

Domain
I have decided that one thing that interests me about the setting is the building of one's own province. Exploring it, settling it. So I am leaving the majority of it open to expansion.

Ulventa Castle (Rank 2)
Kotalla Village (Rank 1)
Talsiss Swamp (Rank 1)
Hentoq Mountians (Rank 1)
DeNor Plains (Rank 2)

Vassals
Castle Ulventa's Staff (Staff 1)
The Warders (Roadmen 2)
Jaekara ("Crimson Dancers")(Personal Guard 1)
The Candlemen (Spy Netwrok 1)
FCWesel

Postby FCWesel » Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:22 pm

Bonus Points
So now I get five points. Hmm, what to do, what to do...

Okay.

Can't take a Aspect, as Dharenkies is unwise. That kind of hurts, actually, but also makes it more interesting. Interesting is good.

1. Friend. I want to make his sister his Friend.
2. Region bonus. Shirevale (Farms 1)
3. A scabbard. Rank 1 "cool item".
4. A Puzzle House.
5. An Artifact. A Puzzle Box, unsolved, given to him by his Sister the day he was given his Province Ellaessene.

I can see the Puzzle Box having an Aspect. I don't know if I can give a Artifact a Aspect, I am still reading, but this seems cool to me.

"The Deeper You Look"
Invoke: The puzzle box challenges the mind to think outside the box (pardon the pun). Invoke when trying to unearth secrets or mysteries.
Tag: One can get too caught up in the mystery in front of him, and miss what's happening behind him.
Compel: A mystery presented is a chance to learn something new.
FCWesel

Dharenkies Erutck

Postby FCWesel » Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:56 pm

DHARENKIES ERUTCK, BARON OF ELLAESSENE

Background
Dharenkies is not a handsom Ven, though he is certainly not a ugly one either. He is fit, but not overly exercised since he loves libraries as much as any place can be loved. His eyes are Revenge. Midnight. His hair is also dark, a black/brown depending upon the light. His skin tends to be slightly colored by the sun. He does go afield afterall, and likes to train in his courtyard.

He loves the color of Emerald Green, so favors that. His finely worked scabbard is green and gold. His heraldric color is Emerald Green.

High Concept
House: Elk
Family Name: Erutck ("The Sheath of Revenge")
Public Name: Dharenkies ("Child of the Night Eyes")

Virtues
BEAR: 2
ELK: 4
FALCON: 2
FOX: 4
SERPENT: W
WOLF: 3

Devotions
Tyane Bran. Rank 3

Aspects of Spring
"Eyes Veiled in Black"
Dharenkies' eyes are Revenge. Born with the Black.
Invoke: The Black of his eyes finds weakness in others who Insult or Injure him. Weakness where blade or poison might slip in.
Tag: The blackness of his eyes always seek out future Revenge. How can one Trust when one is always looking for his Revenge? (This gives someone the ability to maybe twist Dharenkies perceptions to a negative view of someone/thing that is not so. This cannot be used by Dharenkies to detect something.)
Compel: Instead of seeing a freind or lover approaching him, the Black might show him an Enemy, thus he puts up a guard, a wall.

"Orks Fascinate Me"
Dharenkies' is unwise. Naive to the Ven world around him. But he has spent many hours in the libraries, learning about Orks. He doesn't know what it is about them that fascinates him.
Invoke: Dharenkies knows about orks. Habits. Rituals. Dangers. Breeding. Weaknesses and Strengths.
Tag: What has been written is not always true in the Wild.
Compel: Instead of killing a rare breed of ork, he might be disposed to study it. Orks don't like to be kept as pets.

Friends & Family
Father: Count Elaon Erutck
Mother: Countess Lillian Erutck
Sister: Irigaine Erutck (Friend 1)

Maneuvers
Injure 1
Defend 1

Domain
Ellaessene
Ulventa Castle (Rank 1)
Kotalla Village (Rank 2)
Talsiss Swamp (Rank 1)
Hentoq Mountians (Rank 1)
DeNor Plains (Rank 2)
Shirevale Farms (Rank 1)

Vassals
Castle Ulventa's Staff (Staff 1)
The Warders (Roadmen 2)
Jaekara ("Crimson Dancers")(Personal Guard 1)
The Candlemen (Spy Netwrok 1)

Posessions
1. Paladon. An Artifact. A Puzzle Box. Actually it is a sphere, the the idea is the same.
2. Emerald Green & Gold trimmed Scabbard. Rank 1.
FCWesel

Next

Return to Blooded of the Elk