Kenyon Thali, Baron of An’chara

"I am all that I own."

Moderator: Snag

Kenyon Thali, Baron of An’chara

Postby Mamcdowell » Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:13 pm

Let's begin with my character, shall we?

I started with the background step, and with 3 points to alter the rolls in any way I chose on a one-for-one basis. I started by rolling for the Houses of my parents. This resulted in the following:

Father Family: Rolled 3 (Falcon)
Mother Family: Rolled 1 (Bear)

Thinking about a direction I wanted to go for my character, I chose to spend one of my points to move my mothers roll to a 2, making her of House Elk. I then rolled to see which of my parents was the dominant and it was my father.

Moving on to Siblings, I rolled a 5, meaning my character was the 5th born child. Rolling another die for the surviving siblings resulted in a 3, which I used one of my points to reduce it to a 2, leaving me with a single point for the future. Rolling for each surviving sibling, it turns out that my character has 2 sisters. More on them later.

For the Family Standing of my father and mother, I rolled a 2 and a 3 respectively, which gives them both the title of Baron. Given that my character is also a Baron (the default starting rank), I feel that he’s begun to do well for himself.

Now comes the time to choose a house for my character to be under the shadow of. Given the two choices and my parents, I chose for my character to be under the shadow of the Falcon. I chose Thali as my Family Name, which means, “This moment is mine.” (granted, I’ve made that up meaning completely but in this game, it’s okay).

For my Public Name, I choose the name Kenyon. I have not come up with a ven meaning for this name yet, so I will come back to it. Finally, for my Secret Name, I will leave this blank for now. Suffice to say, no one knows it and neither do I.

As this game will be starting in the default setting, Kenyon’s age is Spring. This would make him about 15 years old. Remember, the Ven age and view age differently than others so he is well into his adolescence.

The next step is Spouse & Children so I roll a 4 to determine that Kenyon is married so I need to move onto progeny. There, I roll a 3, indicating a single child. I elect to spend my last point reducing this roll to a 2 to prevent any offspring. He may be ready for marriage, but not for children.

The final step of the background is determining his title and since this is a starting game, all characters begin with the title of Baron or Baroness so I note this on my character sheet and move on to the meat of the character starting with my virtues.

As I am Blooded of the Falcon, I receive a +1 modifier to my Courage. I have a 4, two 3’s and two 2’s to divide amongst my virtues and I must select one of them as a weakness. I start the easy way, picking Wisdom as my weakness, determining that Kenyon is young and not as worldly, without the wealth of knowledge that some possess. Maybe his wife is the wise one?

Strength: 2
Cunning: 3
Courage: 5 (4 with the +1 house bonus)
Beauty: 3
Wisdom: Weakness
Prowess: 2

With my virtues aligned thus, I move on to the Phases step, again noting that Kenyon is in the Spring of his life, he gets 2 Aspects and 1 Contact. After some discussion with my fellow players I decide on the following:

“I Keep My Friends Close…”
Invoke: (3 bonus dice for) Finding out information about others.
Tag: (a secret that gives someone else bonus dice against me) I may give out more information than I intended.
Compel: (a Style point makes me) Curious. Though the words nosy and busybody may have been mentioned once or twice…

More Balls Than Brains
Invoke: (3 bonus dice for) When taking a particularly risky action with a high probability of failure.
Tag: (a secret that gives someone else bonus dice against me) If I have to take time to make decisions.
Compel: (a Style point makes me) Take dangerous risks.

I think of the first aspect as influence from his mother. She taught him to know people and this covers a tiny bit for his weakness in wisdom. The second aspect is due to his high courage virtue which could sometimes get him into trouble.

As all of the players weren’t present for character generation at the same time, I’m going to hold off on Contacts. Now on to Devotions. Looking over the Sauven, I choose:

Ashalim Avendi 2 (as the Sauven related to my house and patron of roadmen)
Falvren Dyn 1 (as the Sauven of the Wolf and patron of battles)

Now comes the interesting part. I get to pick my Domains. Granted the first two are free, but I’m okay with that.

Region 1 (Free): An’chara’s Seat 1 (Castle; Urban; Produces Nothing)
Region 2 (Free): Ashla Town 1 (Village; Urban; Produces Goods)
Region 3: Haran’s Arbor 1 (Farm; Rural; Produces either Food or Industry)
Region 4: Y’lanwood 1 (Forest; Rural; Produces either Food or Lumber)
Region 5: Ryell Falls1 (Mountains; Rural; Produces either Metals or Stone)
Region 6: Murall’s Reach 1 (Plains; Rural; Produces either Spices or Wine)
Region 7: Welin Pastures 1 (Farm; Rural; Produces either Food or Industry)

Now with 5 points worth of Vassals to choose I decide on the following from the list of available starting ones:

VASSALS:
Personal Guard 1 (Kenyon’s Elite)
Roadmen 1 (Paladins)
Spouse 1 (Free Vassal)
Spy Network 1 (The Unseen Hand)
Staff 1 (The Seat’s Servants)
Valet 1 (Jaian)

Again, as a starting Ven noble, I begin the game with 3 style, but with a Courage of 5, I hope to convert wagers to style on a reasonably decent basis. All that’s left is to spend my 5 bonus points.

Bonus point 1: Bonus Aspect. Kenyon is close with his family, particularly his sisters, so I decide to make an aspect out of it.
“So Say We All”
Invoke: (3 bonus dice for) When taking actions that would help a family member.
Tag: (a secret that gives someone else bonus dice against me) Protective of his sisters and parents.
Compel: (a Style point makes me) Put my family over other considerations.

Bonus point 2: I decide to use this point to increase the rank of my Village to 2.

Bonus point 3: I decide to use this point to increase the rank of my Valet to 2.

Bonus point 4: I decide to use this point to increase the rank of my Spouse to 2. Got to take advantage of those extra season actions. I’ve determined from the House table, that she is under the shadow of the Fox and I have names her Chausiku, which means “born of the night”.

Bonus point 5: I wasn’t sure where to put this point so I decided to purchase another aspect which is kind of the reverse of Academy Educated from the rulebook.

“I was there as a boy”
Invoke: (3 bonus dice for) making world-knowledge risks.
Tag: (a secret that gives someone else bonus dice against me) When attempting a risk using book knowledge.
Compel: (a Style point makes me) Seek out new experiences or adventure.

So, the final Character looks like this:

KENYON THALI
House Falcon

THREE THINGS
1. He smiles easily and often.
2. His sisters are twins.
3. He rarely backs down once he’s made his mind up.

Personal Name: Kenyon (“The suns shining eye”)
House Name: Thali (“This Moment Is Mine”)
Secret Name: Haven’t come up with one yet

FAMILY
Father: Falcon
Mother: Elk
Siblings: 5 (2 surviving sisters, both Elk)

VIRTUES
Strength: 2
Cunning: 3
Courage: 5
Beauty: 3
Wisdom: W
Prowess: 2

Spring Aspect: “I Keep My Friends Close…”
Invoke: (3 bonus dice for) Finding out information about others.
Tag: (a secret that gives someone else bonus dice against me) I may give out more information than I intended.
Compel: (a Style point makes me) Curious. Though the words nosy and busybody may have been mentioned once or twice…

Spring Aspect: More Balls Than Brains
Invoke: (3 bonus dice for) When taking a particularly risky action with a high probability of failure.
Tag: (a secret that gives someone else bonus dice against me) If I have to take time to make decisions.
Compel: (a Style point makes me) Take dangerous risks.

Devotion: Ashalim Avendi 2
Devotion: Falvren Dyn 1

VASSALS
Spouse: Chausiku Yvarai (2; 1st rank Free)
Personal Guard: The Faceless Men (1)
Roadmen: Paladins (1)
Spy Network: The Unseen Hand (1)
Staff: The Seat’s Servants (1)
Valet: Jaian (2)

REGIONS
An’chara’s Seat 1 (Castle; Free)
Ashla Town 1 (Village; Free)
Haran’s Arbor 1 (Farm)
Y’lanwood 1 (Forest)
Ryell Falls 1 (Mountains)
Murall’s Reach 1 (Plains)
Welin Pastures 1 (Farm)

BONUS POINTS
(1)
Spring Aspect. “So Say We All”
Invoke: (3 bonus dice for) When taking actions that would help a family member.
Tag: (a secret that gives someone else bonus dice against me) Protective of his sisters and parents.
Compel: (a Style point makes me) Put my family over other considerations.

(2)
Increase the rank of my Ashla Town to 2.

(3)
Increase the rank of my Jaian to 2.

(4)
Increase the rank of my Chausiku, my Spouse to 2.

(5)
Spring Aspect: “I was there as a boy”
Invoke: (3 bonus dice for) making world-knowledge risks.
Tag: (a secret that gives someone else bonus dice against me) When attempting a risk using book knowledge.
Compel: (a Style point makes me) Seek out new experiences or adventure.

And there you have it.
Mamcdowell

Return to Blooded of the Falcon