Season Actions, Trade, and Ports

One question per post, please!

Moderator: Snag

Season Actions, Trade, and Ports

Postby ARudzki » Tue May 17, 2011 12:01 pm

Just a question that I have regarding Seasonal Actions, as I read through the book. Someone please check my understanding?

When it comes to a Season, you:

1. Plan, which includes:
1a. Resources: Setting up what regions with multiple options produce (Correct?)
ie, this Plain will produce Wine; Not Spices
1b. Production: Setting up villages to produce Goods if they can (Correct?)
1c. Other Actions: Is this step *solely* the province of Vassals? Or, does this mean, say, using your Shoreline to Trade 3 Stone for 3 Food?

2. Trouble
I have no real questions here.

3. Actions
Question time: Under the Port Holding, it says you receive a Free Seasonal Action to trade resources with another noble. I just want clarity on the exact meaning on this, because it seems the usually indicative capitalization has gone awry in this area. SO: During Actions, I use a free Seasonal Action. Is this effectively identical to using the Trade Resource? I transform some resources I have into other resources I want? Or is this a more narrative advantage, involving dealing and exchanging with NPCs and PCs at the table, and this is just when I would resolve it?

Also, was I wrong above in 1c.? Do you *not* activate a Shoreline in Planning, but instead activate it as a Seasonal Action? Under "Trade" (pg241) it calls it it's Seasonal Action, so that's why I'm wondering: Is it a Seasonal "Other Action" in planning, or is it cost a Seasonal Action during Actions? If it costs a Seasonal Action during "Actions," then does the Port Holding more or less let you benefit from Trade twice? I'm just curious!

4. Harvest
Does Trade resolve in Harvest, or whenever it is activated? I ask because the book says Trade is not a Resource, and the first part of Harvest is receiving Resources -- so I just wanted to be sure!
When using the Port Holding, does it resolve during Harvest? Does it resolve when you activate it?

Sorry for all of these seemingly nitpicky questions, and sorry if they've already been answered. I just want to understand. Thanks in advance!
Sometimes I roll dice and make stuff up about it (http://20facets.wordpress.com)

"I fought for the most glorious woman of a glorious race, and I fought for a great love and for the mother of my boy."
ARudzki

Re: Season Actions, Trade, and Ports

Postby Nihilistic Mind » Wed May 18, 2011 2:53 pm

I'm not sure if the book is explicit about it, however, I've always imagined that the Trade actions resolve at the same time as Harvest.
For instance even if the Trade itself occurred at the Planning Phase, delivery occurs at Harvest time.

As for the Port, I need to consult the book for that one.
"Sparrow, I'll call you back. I've just gutted a man with a shard of wood and I need to make sure he's dead... I think you're right, Sparrow. I am a bad, bad man..."
~~Dr. Xander Crowe, WORMWOOD.
Nihilistic Mind
Site Admin

Postby ARudzki » Wed May 18, 2011 6:32 pm

Nihilistic Mind wrote:I'm not sure if the book is explicit about it, however, I've always imagined that the Trade actions resolve at the same time as Harvest.
For instance even if the Trade itself occurred at the Planning Phase, delivery occurs at Harvest time.

As for the Port, I need to consult the book for that one.

What you say makes sense to me and seems like what makes the most sense. However, I've found another interesting thing while looking at the Houses of the Blooded Season Reference hosted on the website. It breaks downs the steps of planning such that Part C simply states "Take an action listed under Step 3."

If that is the case, then, is that the 1 Automatic Seasonal Action everyone gets, and your extras are started during Step 3 proper? Or is that an Step 1.C Action, and then your Seasonal Actions are half Cunning+1 as normal?

Sorry for the plethora of questions!
Sometimes I roll dice and make stuff up about it (http://20facets.wordpress.com)

"I fought for the most glorious woman of a glorious race, and I fought for a great love and for the mother of my boy."
ARudzki

Postby Lriot » Sun May 22, 2011 2:54 am

ARudzki wrote:Just a question that I have regarding Seasonal Actions, as I read through the book. Someone please check my understanding?
Question time: Under the Port Holding, it says you receive a Free Seasonal Action to trade resources with another noble. I just want clarity on the exact meaning on this, because it seems the usually indicative capitalization has gone awry in this area. SO: During Actions, I use a free Seasonal Action. Is this effectively identical to using the Trade Resource? I transform some resources I have into other resources I want? Or is this a more narrative advantage, involving dealing and exchanging with NPCs and PCs at the table, and this is just when I would resolve it?

Treading Resources in this case means "transporting resources to other domain". That means you have a free action to move resources to this Baron with whom you have a trading Contract ;)
Caravan does the same thing.
Lriot

Postby ARudzki » Sun May 22, 2011 9:22 am

Sounds good to me! Thanks, Lriot.

Any thoughts on the Seasonal Actions question I asked above?

ARudzki

Postby Lriot » Mon May 23, 2011 12:48 am

ARudzki wrote:Any thoughts on the Seasonal Actions question I asked above?

I'm not entirely sure if I understand your question...
But if you ask if this "c. Other Actions: Take an action listed under Step 3" means that you get additional free season action, other than the normal ones (1/2 of Cunning +1), than the answer is NO.
Lriot

Postby ARudzki » Mon May 23, 2011 10:01 am

That is exactly what I was asking :)

Your answer makes perfect sense to me, just wanted someone else's eyes on the matter. Thanks again!

ARudzki

Return to Frequently Asked Questions