John Carter of Mars

General Chatter. Open Board.

Moderator: Snag

John Carter of Mars

Postby wunderworks » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:05 am

ERB's classic series is being made by Disney, helmed by one of the original bad-asses from Pixar, with writing help by award winning author and ERB's fan Michael Chabon. If you like the "Ven are Real" troupe used in Houses of the Blooded, you will find a familiar refrain in this story. Edgar Rice Burroughs is the narrator of this story, claiming that this story is about his uncle and based on the manuscripts he's recovered from his Uncle's home.

Here is the trailer that was just released: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Rf55GTEZ_E
Author of World of Dew a samurai noir sequel to John Wick's Blood & Honor

"Forbearance is the root of quietness and assurance forever. "
~ Tokugawa Ieyasu ~
wunderworks
Site Admin

Re: John Carter of Mars

Postby ARudzki » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:05 pm

I am impossibly excited for this movie. As I've said elsewhere, Houses of the Blooded -- in my head -- just feels like John Carter of Mars: The RPG (Done Right). The trailer seems to indicate some good attention to detail has gone into the movie, and I just hope it's not misleading like some trailers are. A little wary of the whole "it's your destiny, John Carter!" thing but who knows. Excited!

EDIT: I actually have been working over in my head today a Barsoom hack for HotB. Would be loads of fun and not honestly require too much work, I think.
Sometimes I roll dice and make stuff up about it (http://20facets.wordpress.com)

"I fought for the most glorious woman of a glorious race, and I fought for a great love and for the mother of my boy."
ARudzki

Postby wunderworks » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:58 am

How would you bring things over? What would you keep/change? :D

~ Tokugawa Ieyasu ~
wunderworks
Site Admin

Postby ARudzki » Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:27 pm

The fun trick of it is that, honestly, the Martians are basically the ven.

(Clearly Edgar Rice Burroughs was a competent, if amateur, ven scholar in his spare time ;) )

Cloaks and daggers, romance games, arranged marriages, music, culture, plays, games, art, swordsmanship, high-adventure... the only one of those really missing from a game of HotB from my estimation is the high adventure. Don't get me wrong, I love HotB, but I don't think I've seen anyone actually do an epic quest... you just can't. You've got duties to attend to, and it's a hassle to run one player abandoning his kingdom to save his love if every other player wants to continue having tea and crumpets with Lady Peacock. From what I understand though, CbNC lets you turn the anti-D&D dial back towards D&D by playing veth and adventurers or something? Some of those options are what you want for a game of Barsoom.

First thing first: Barsoom has all manner of terrifying creatures, right? White Apes, the crazy Kangaroo things of the Issus Valley, Banths... well, here's the thing... the only one of those I can honestly remember ever being killed are White Apes. Everything else? Gets run from, I'm pretty sure. John Carter and Carthoris get dropped in with Banths, but Thuvia or other maids are nice enough to soothe them. The Kangaroo things were murdering martians left and right while Tars Tarkas and John Carter struggled to survive and eventually ran.

They're clearly ork, but likely of wildly varying levels. White Apes are either very weak ork, or another kind of ven depending on how you viewed Burroughs insistence at drawing parallels between them and the Tharks. But yeah: If it's a crazy martian monster, make it an Ork, but err on the side of fewer abilities or lower levels of threat. Or, don't go easy on them, but treat it as a large group and let them cut a bloody path through them.

That is the biggest drift from HotB. Blooded is trying to play up tragic blood operas -- and Barsoom is all about heroic blood-pumping pulps. They still share a lot of common elements, so much of it works regardless: John Carter has a high rank Romance with Dejah Thoris powering every one of his stories; "Southern Gentleman" is 100% an Aspect Invoked for Courage in awkward social situations, Tagged for believing deceptions, and Compelled to put himself in harms way to protect the weak.

I believe that the Titles would need to be swapped out. Which isn't too big of a deal, as the Barsoomian words are floating around out there. Your guards would be Padwars, your armies would consist of Dwars...

I keep joking around in my head about replacing the virtues with the Rays that play a critical part in John Carter's acclimation to the planet, how he saves it from death, and how most of the technology works. In which case, I'd just go all in and rename the virtues with Colors like the Rays are supposed to be. I'd probably just keep them how they are, were I to approach it without joking. They're all virtues in the Barsoom books.

The Houses would all be jettisoned. They would have to go. Instead, you'd play a Red Martian, a Green Martian, a Yellow Martian, a Black Martian, a White Martian, or one of the occasional Earth men. I, personally, wouldn't associate the Virtues with the various races, since generally the point in the books is that they're all equal and need to stop being tools to one another. People would have more aspects to start: the idea from the book for familiar aspects would exist, with each race having an aspect you could take automatically.

The sky galleons would one-hundred percent play a part in the games! Would maybe have to prod Mr. Wick for those notes of his regarding firearms, since they are a present part of John Carter...

Regions and Domains would require a little bit of work, at least. Only insofar as things like Plains and Farms make less sense on Barsoom, and there really should be a "Canal 3" option when determining what land your hordes control.

Honestly, a lot of it converts over easily enough. These are just some general ideas!

White Ape
Terror 2
Rank 2
Traits
Additional Arm
Additional Arm
Muscle
Quadruped
Sometimes I roll dice and make stuff up about it (http://20facets.wordpress.com)

"I fought for the most glorious woman of a glorious race, and I fought for a great love and for the mother of my boy."
ARudzki

Postby wunderworks » Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:49 pm

Jesse Heinig's upcoming Wilderness book has all the rules you need to go on an Epic quest! :D

~ Tokugawa Ieyasu ~
wunderworks
Site Admin

Return to Out of Character