Houses of the Blooded Tattoo

General Chatter. Open Board.

Moderator: Snag

Houses of the Blooded Tattoo

Postby Rob Justice » Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:22 pm

Alright guys, little advice. After reading HotB, I've fallen in love with this picture:

Now, I've been thinking about getting it tattooed on my left calf. I've wanted a tattoo there for a looong time and I've wanted something gaming related but nothing has jumped out at me until now. Of course, I want it in color (something a tattoo artist can easily do) but I was thinking of having it modified slightly. I'm debating adding a single stream of blood running down the tip of the blade, but I'm afriad that might be a little to "oh-my-god-gothy-over-the-top-emo". Also, the tip is a little short for any additional effects so I might lengthen is ever so slightly to accomidate... and add some balance to the peice. Its great for art but for a tattoo it looks a bit oddly shapen.

Thoughts?

Update: I got the tattoo, scroll down for pictures.
Last edited by Rob Justice on Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rob Justice

Re: Tattoo Advice

Postby Snag » Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:33 pm

Mm... yeah, for tattoo purposes, I'd say lengthen the tip of the blade and the pommel both, so that it looks a bit more proportioned.

Can't say one way or t'other on the drop of blood at the tip of the blade, tho'. Personally, I'd say that if that's how you're seeing it in your head, may as well go for the gusto.
Snag, O.T.D.O
Caffeine enabler
Blooded of the Raven? No? Damnation.

My Plains produce Win!
Snag

Postby Rob Justice » Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:53 am

Snag wrote:Can't say one way or t'other on the drop of blood at the tip of the blade, tho'. Personally, I'd say that if that's how you're seeing it in your head, may as well go for the gusto.

I'm just not sure if I really like that idea or not... I'm on the fence about the blood. I mean, I like the concept of the rose bleeding but I'm not sure if the imagery would come across as pretentiously goth or tragically romantic... and I'll let you guess which way I'm trying to go with this idea. Hahaha
Rob Justice

Postby Rob Justice » Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:02 pm

I don't know if I'm the first or not, but I officially have a Houses of the Blooded tattoo on my left calf as originally planned.

I'll be at Gen Con this year for anyone who wants to see it up close. John, if you're going to be there I'd be honored if you autographed my tattoo.
Rob Justice

Postby kitnel » Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:24 am

Rob Justice wrote:I'm just not sure if I really like that idea or not... I'm on the fence about the blood. I mean, I like the concept of the rose bleeding but I'm not sure if the imagery would come across as pretentiously goth or tragically romantic... and I'll let you guess which way I'm trying to go with this idea. Hahaha

I agree, you would've had to grow some emo hair for that. But I like the finished product, the gem in the hilt looks pretty sweet.
kitnel

Re: Houses of the Blooded Tattoo

Postby wunderworks » Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:07 pm

Sweet!
Author of World of Dew a samurai noir sequel to John Wick's Blood & Honor

"Forbearance is the root of quietness and assurance forever. "
~ Tokugawa Ieyasu ~
wunderworks
Site Admin

Postby JohnWick » Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:17 am

It looks fantastic. I'm humbled.
The Reverend John Wick, PhD, D.M., KoAL, G.M., ST, Narr., G.A.M.E.R., Master Mason
JohnWick
Site Admin

Postby Rob Justice » Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:26 am

Thanks guys. It actually looks way better in person. Pictures just don't do it justice.
Rob Justice

Postby kitnel » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:02 am

Rob Justice wrote:Pictures just don't do it justice.

Accidental or actual bad pun?
kitnel

Postby Rob Justice » Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:54 am

kitnel wrote:Accidental or actual bad pun?

Totally accidental.

Tattoo isn't 100% healed yet.... Getting nervous that it won't be healed by Gen Con so I can show off my hard-core gamer cred. haha.

Week later, I love this tattoo. It has such meaning to me and I keep realizing other aspects of it that I didn't first think of. Its epic.
Rob Justice

Return to Out of Character