Vampire?

General Chatter. Open Board.

Moderator: Snag

Re: Vampire?

Postby wunderworks » Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:24 am

ElectricPaladin wrote:
adidasfiend wrote:I have to hesitate to say that Vampire is not suitable for a 13/14 year old when I got my first Vampire the Masquerade book when i was 14. I even had a discussion with Pat Robertson on the 700 club when I was 16 about the game, my phone call was not aired. Thats another story for another time.

Why is that? I want to hear it.

I don't know for sure about the new series - I've only read them and played in a single one-off game. I know for a fact that some of the books in the old series were definitely rated R. The entire Asian line is chock full of pictures that are R-rated and stories about cannibalism. I wasn't 18 when I first read or saw these books, but it's more of an up to you sort of thing.

If your daughter gets involved with the WW WOD games there's a good chance she'll be exposed to some of these ideas and images. Plus, the concept of a vampire taking a person against their will is in some senses glorifying the entire idea of rape. Which, thankfully enough most of the books play down heavily. You just need to be aware of these things and talk to your daughter, probably, about these things. That's all. =)

I don't know you from Adam, but I was a very widely read and intelligent kid when I was 14 - vampire:tM still creeped me out back then - not so much now.
Author of World of Dew a samurai noir sequel to John Wick's Blood & Honor

"Forbearance is the root of quietness and assurance forever. "
~ Tokugawa Ieyasu ~
wunderworks
Site Admin

Postby adidasfiend » Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:41 pm

About 14 or 15 years back, some asshole would take girls back to a hotel and bite them, and generally abuse them. A few of the girls were underage. It made the news, and he said that he was playing the game "Vampire the Masquerade" and he convinced the girls they were playing. So apparently Mr Robertson picked up on this idea and wanted to bring torch to some roleplaying books. I was flipping through the channels one night and saw that familiar green cover w/ the rose on it. So i stopped and watched a bit. It was obvious that Pat Robertson never even opened the book because he started to quote completely wrong information, ie that biting someone and drawing blood was part of the game and then a mystical ritual bound the person(sounds like a blood bond but thats the character and not the player). So I dialed the 1800 number on the bottom with my book in tow.
I don't recall all the specifics of the call but i remember i talked to a handler (maybe a producer first) I said I was 16 and supported the game. I gave what i thought a good arguement so they put me in a queue. I waited patiently, my call was picked up while they were on commercial. I remember asking if he had ever read the book and he said no he hadn't but his people had. I then began to quote from the book that it was only a game and not reality and cited page numbers, and even pointed out the difference between characters and players. He said he would research that and thanked me for my time. They went live shortly afterward. I felt pretty confident that i changed his mind but NOPE he went on attacking not even mentioning what we talked about. I remember being dejected and angry. I just went back to playing and having a good time.
adidasfiend

Postby jeffszusz » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:10 pm

I know I'm digging up an older thread but I came across it and had to comment.

I've run Vampire the Masquerade, own Vampire the Requiem, and have read about half of twilight (I put it down during "the meadow scene" - the women can keep that book to themselves).

Twilight vampires are referred to as "Sparkly vampires" because they actually sparkle in the sunlight - instead of bursting into flames. They're also forcing themselves to be the vampire equivalent of a human vegetarian: the Cullen family of vamps only eats animal blood.

If someone is interested in vampires -because- of Twilight, VtR and/or VtM are not the games for them. If they are interested in vampire fiction outside of twilight, it is an amazing setting, with an excellent system and an interesting way of combining all the possible vampire fictions into one setting (except Twilight; it would make no sense to buy the power "sparkle in the sun" when the other players choose to be able to grow claws, turn into mist, control minds, etc.)

Vampire the Requiem was the first game I found after being stuck with D&D for a long period of time - it liberated me from the clutches of dungeon crawls ;)

The books are definitely too mature for someone who isn't desensitized to vampire fiction: age has nothing to do with it. If she can watch Interview With A Vampire, Blade, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, etc. she'd be fine reading the game books. If she can't watch those tv shows, then I wouldn't let her read through VtR.

On the other hand, for you as a Storyteller (GM) to run a vampire game, you can make it whatever you want, really. The most fun part for younger players is choosing what kind of vampire to play, what powers to take, etc. and then using them to do cool stuff in the story.

That's my two cents for a months-old thread.

Oh and by the way, if she's read ALL the sequels to Twilight, she's already been confronted with the possibility of a baby vampire chewing it's way out of it's human mother's womb (I don't think it happened, but it sure was talked about as a possibility while the character was pregnant, from what I hear). I don't think I've read anything in VtR yet that is quite that creepy, as much as the writers try.
jeffszusz

Postby adidasfiend » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:06 pm

The White Wolf guys did get that creepy if not worse. Montreal by Night was a Sabbat City Splatbook. Definately a mature rating book. I can't remember what the vampire baby's name was but that book was sick. I dug it but very very creepy/gross/sick/twisted/wrong
adidasfiend

Postby jeffszusz » Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:24 pm

adidasfiend wrote:The White Wolf guys did get that creepy if not worse. Montreal by Night was a Sabbat City Splatbook. Definately a mature rating book. I can't remember what the vampire baby's name was but that book was sick. I dug it but very very creepy/gross/sick/twisted/wrong

I referred only to Vampire the Requiem. I only ever read the core book for Masquerade (old edition).

There's pretty bad stuff in Requiem too, but nothing with a higher possibility of emotionally scarring a kid than reading the life and times of a young girl for several novels (becoming emotionally invested in the character) before discovering "oh, she's pregnant! Wait. The baby might EAT AND CLAW IT'S WAY OUT OF HER WOMB?!"

I can't say for sure as I never read past the first book, but as far as I know, anyone younger would be better off playing Vampire (especially with a censoring GM/Dad) than reading the Twilight series to completion.
jeffszusz

Postby Mishka » Mon May 25, 2009 8:41 pm

Um... Ghouls... the whole... um... tying male bits to a door with a string and then closing it with Vigor/Celerity followed by giving the Ghoul blood so he subconsciously regrows his lost member in order to repeat the process... I think that bit alone is enough to require a grown up to read any WoD book before giving it to their kid -just in case-.

Most 14-15 year-olds can take it (I started with VtM when I was about that age. Granted, I also frequented goth and metal raves at the time). Some can't though, and shouldn't be recommended such literature by their parents.

I know it's a very late reply, but not nearly enough time to spend on the forums >.<
Mishka

Previous

Return to Out of Character