Actively Using Courage

One question per post, please!

Moderator: Snag

Actively Using Courage

Postby khelek » Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:58 am

From my reading, Courage appears to ypically be a limiting factor on performing an action. Granted, even with Failure, you may use Style to overcome the Ven's fear (lack of Courage) and take the action anyways.

however, I was wondering if there was a more active use of Courage. Roll Courage to explore the Ruined Complex. Roll Courage to win the Wager. Roll Courage to...

Where Courage itself allows Victory, rather than merely acting as a soft gateway to other types of conflicts.

Thoughts?

________
Jason

Re: Actively Using Courage

Postby JohnWick » Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:15 am

Courage is an important Virtue, but it works differently than the others. It either gives you bonuses or hinders you. It's really the "resistance Virtue." It's what makes the Falcon so butch.
The Reverend John Wick, PhD, D.M., KoAL, G.M., ST, Narr., G.A.M.E.R., Master Mason
JohnWick
Site Admin

Postby Saint&Sinner » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:53 am

I've had people roll against Courage to talk to a tough Duke as an example. I also allowed the wagers to influence the situation. Was that 'wrong'? Should I have used Cunning only? I guess I was drawing a point on how hard it is to break into that social circle from the outside.
Saint&Sinner

Postby Snag » Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:27 am

The primary function of Courage seems to be to fend off the fear that's generated by orks. The higher rank ork, the more fear it's going to crank out. The description of the Virtue says anytime they have to show exceptional bravery in the face of danger or fight through the pain.

So, for the social circle thing, if that's how your Shanri works, then by all means have at it. It's perfectly reasonable to have a Courage risk to exceed one's regular social circle. Particularly given the way the ven enforce their own pecking order.

But, I wouldn't have 'em toss wagers into talking to a surly duke. That rather strikes me as a strict pass/fail kinda thing. Or if you do, like John said above, Courage gives bonuses or hinders you. So if the ones that make the risk and state that they approach the duke unafraid, perhaps you could modify the duke's reaction accordingly. (Especially if said duke is Falcon - he'd admire their cojones.) Alternatively, if the duke is the sort to expect his underlings to bow and scrape, a group that's standing tall in front of him might piss him off.
Snag, O.T.D.O
Caffeine enabler
Blooded of the Raven? No? Damnation.

My Plains produce Win!
Snag

Postby JohnWick » Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:08 am

Snag wrote:But, I wouldn't have 'em toss wagers into talking to a surly duke. That rather strikes me as a strict pass/fail kinda thing. Or if you do, like John said above, Courage gives bonuses or hinders you. So if the ones that make the risk and state that they approach the duke unafraid, perhaps you could modify the duke's reaction accordingly. (Especially if said duke is Falcon - he'd admire their cojones.) Alternatively, if the duke is the sort to expect his underlings to bow and scrape, a group that's standing tall in front of him might piss him off.

Knowing what you do about Duke Kether, do you think it'd be appropriate for your group to make Courage risks if one of you was alone in the room with him? ;)
The Reverend John Wick, PhD, D.M., KoAL, G.M., ST, Narr., G.A.M.E.R., Master Mason
JohnWick
Site Admin

Postby Snag » Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:15 am

JohnWick wrote:
Snag wrote:But, I wouldn't have 'em toss wagers into talking to a surly duke. That rather strikes me as a strict pass/fail kinda thing. Or if you do, like John said above, Courage gives bonuses or hinders you. So if the ones that make the risk and state that they approach the duke unafraid, perhaps you could modify the duke's reaction accordingly. (Especially if said duke is Falcon - he'd admire their cojones.) Alternatively, if the duke is the sort to expect his underlings to bow and scrape, a group that's standing tall in front of him might piss him off.

Knowing what you do about Duke Kether, do you think it'd be appropriate for your group to make Courage risks if one of you was alone in the room with him? ;)

See, I was being general! ::Shakefist::
Snag, O.T.D.O
Caffeine enabler

My Plains produce Win!
Snag

Postby Ashkelion-Yvarai » Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:13 pm

JohnWick wrote:Knowing what you do about Duke Kether...

He's a duke now? When and how did that happen?
"No rulebook has deserved the name 'rules bible' more than 'Houses of the Blooded'." (a friend about all the discussions, corrections and additions to the HotB rules on the forums and in our gaming group)
Ashkelion-Yvarai

Postby Snag » Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:19 pm

Ashkelion-Yvarai wrote:

Not sure.. that happened before I started playing in one of the games.
Snag, O.T.D.O
Caffeine enabler

My Plains produce Win!
Snag

Postby wunderworks » Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:41 pm

Snag wrote:
Ashkelion-Yvarai wrote:

Not sure.. that happened before I started playing in one of the games.

I also played in a game where Count Kether was killed. That was very satisfying. ^_^
Author of World of Dew a samurai noir sequel to John Wick's Blood & Honor

"Forbearance is the root of quietness and assurance forever. "
~ Tokugawa Ieyasu ~
wunderworks
Site Admin

Postby Snag » Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:44 pm

wunderworks wrote:I also played in a game where Count Kether was killed. That was very satisfying. ^_^

Oh man, that sounds sweet...
Snag, O.T.D.O
Caffeine enabler

My Plains produce Win!
Snag

Next

Return to Frequently Asked Questions