Terror Rank

One question per post, please!

Moderator: Snag

Terror Rank

Postby Black King » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:35 am

I've looked all over the book and looked at the errata and I'm still confused on how exactly Terror works. The thread I found that was most pertinent here, but it doesn't seem to come to a consensus and even ends with a post saying how confused they are. The Terror section says to reference the Virtues section, and then the sidebar in the Virtues section says to reference the Narrator section on Ork. Is it just a standard contested risk and rolling the Ork's Terror is to beat 10, or do the ven have to beat the Terror roll's total? I'd be most thankful if someone could clear this up for me or just point me to the pages or posts I'm missing.
Black King

Re: Terror Rank

Postby Nihilistic Mind » Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:46 am

I'll do my best to bug John about it, whether it's time for clarification or errata will be determined by him at this point. I'll also ask the other GMs and see how they run it to see if it helps.
"Sparrow, I'll call you back. I've just gutted a man with a shard of wood and I need to make sure he's dead... I think you're right, Sparrow. I am a bad, bad man..."
~~Dr. Xander Crowe, WORMWOOD.
Nihilistic Mind
Site Admin

Postby Aban the White Stag » Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:44 pm

When I ran orks with Terror, I made it a contested Risk, sort of. Players had to roll Courage (to say no to their Fear) or run screaming away (or something more horrible). If they succeeded, they got to use their wagers against the Ork's Terror Rank (which I used as automatic wagers-like a successful Beauty Risk).

Hope that helps.
Aban the White Stag

Postby Black King » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:23 am

That's how I've decided to run it until we get a ruling. Seems the closest to what may be intended, it saying you use standard Courage risk rules and all. Guess we're kinda dead in the water until we hear something though. Damn, I was hoping there was a consensus on it.
Black King

Postby JohnWick » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:30 am

You need to make a Courage risk against the rank of the ork x 5. Rank 3 ork = target number 15.
The Reverend John Wick, PhD, D.M., KoAL, G.M., ST, Narr., G.A.M.E.R., Master Mason
JohnWick
Site Admin

Postby Black King » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:35 am

Wow, right after I posted. Was so confused when it said there was a new post in the thread when it went back to the index

Awesome, thank you kindly. Glad to have that pinned down so neatly.
Black King

Postby Lriot » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:59 pm

JohnWick wrote:You need to make a Courage risk against the rank of the ork x 5. Rank 3 ork = target number 15.

Ok. now I'm confused.

The statement quoted contradicts the (unoficial) errata Link
Well maybe not contradicts but it says nothing about consequences of failing a Terror risk.

Are both of them true, e.g.: make a Risk at TN= Terror rank x 5 and if failed a Ven has to make minimal wagers on any Risk against Ork?
Lriot

Postby Nihilistic Mind » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:16 pm

Lriot wrote:
JohnWick wrote:You need to make a Courage risk against the rank of the ork x 5. Rank 3 ork = target number 15.

Ok. now I'm confused.

The statement quoted contradicts the (unoficial) errata Link
Well maybe not contradicts but it says nothing about consequences of failing a Terror risk.

Are both of them true, e.g.: make a Risk at TN= Terror rank x 5 and if failed a Ven has to make minimal wagers on any Risk against Ork?

Those two statements don't contradict each other.
"Sparrow, I'll call you back. I've just gutted a man with a shard of wood and I need to make sure he's dead... I think you're right, Sparrow. I am a bad, bad man..."
~~Dr. Xander Crowe, WORMWOOD.
Nihilistic Mind
Site Admin

Postby Black King » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:21 pm

That's what it sounds like to me. One governs the risk, one on the fallout.
Black King

Postby Kyocera Ru » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:03 pm

It doesn't fix the issues I had in the original thread. For the time being, barring more official errata, I intend to use THIS thread as the official errata (Courage is a non-contested roll against a static TN equal to the ork rank x 5) and ignore the other one until such time that it is clarified.
Jeffrey Witthauer
Evil Narrator of Knoxville, TN

Play Blood & Tears at Dragon*Con 2011!
Kyocera Ru

Next

Return to Frequently Asked Questions