NPC'd Vassals

One question per post, please!

Moderator: Snag

NPC'd Vassals

Postby SunBlade » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:25 am

How do other GMs handle the season actions that their NPC'd Vassal gets?
SunBlade

Re: NPC'd Vassals

Postby Nihilistic Mind » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:36 pm

I let the players spend those NPC Vassal Season Actions.
I only question if they actually accomplish what they are tasked to do by their Altrex if their Loyalty is in question... or if it's the right time to tell that Story.
"Sparrow, I'll call you back. I've just gutted a man with a shard of wood and I need to make sure he's dead... I think you're right, Sparrow. I am a bad, bad man..."
~~Dr. Xander Crowe, WORMWOOD.
Nihilistic Mind
Site Admin

Postby Loqua » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:47 pm

If its a player NPC that they made, let them run the Season Actions.

If its the Narrator NPC that has gotten enough style, I don't really do their season actions unless it furthers the story.
Blah-dee-blah-dee-blah.
Loqua

Postby SunBlade » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:56 pm

Well sure. I'm talking about something like a Master of the Road or a Seneschal, which will give them a large extra chunk of actions to play with 3-4 each, typically.

It does seem a little odd that only one of them has to be spent on their duty, in that case; a controlling player would surely end up spending the balance just like the were spending their own.
SunBlade

Postby Kyocera Ru » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:06 pm

Generally they can decide how those actions are spent. But as the Narrator I can override those actions if necessary (because NPCs do have their own plots and plans).
Jeffrey Witthauer
Evil Narrator of Knoxville, TN

Play Blood & Tears at Dragon*Con 2011!
Kyocera Ru

Postby dogmirian » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:09 pm

i normally just take full control of the character and do his own actions but give the free Vassal action to the Player
more work but it is fun for me
dogmirian

Postby Black King » Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:22 pm

I agree with Kyocera Ru. Unless you have something else in mind for the NPC, I let my players have full control over them. Something that we try to keep in mind though is that more than likely your vassal isn't only throwing themselves into actions that help you. Every now and then they should take an action that is self serving. Personal training, working on some Art, researching sorcery, quelling trouble even if they aren't.

Which brings me to something else I'd like to discuss. Are NPC vassals able to take any action that is available to take actions beyond what is in the auspice of their position they hold? The books says that they are NPCs with the whole nine yards. The intention seems to be that they don't, most Master Vassal sections delineate what they can do with their actions, and I can definitely understand that from a balance aspect. To do otherwise would basically give your NPC vassals the capabilities of NPC Spouses.

Another question, just to make sure. Any vassal can become an NPC by spending that last Season Action to train them, right? Master Vassals are just explicitly that way so as to remove some confusion.
Black King

Postby Lriot » Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:04 pm

Black King wrote:Which brings me to something else I'd like to discuss. Are NPC vassals able to take any action that is available to take actions beyond what is in the auspice of their position they hold? The books says that they are NPCs with the whole nine yards. The intention seems to be that they don't, most Master Vassal sections delineate what they can do with their actions, and I can definitely understand that from a balance aspect. To do otherwise would basically give your NPC vassals the capabilities of NPC Spouses.

I think they can.
But I'd say that the vassal contract states explicitly that the Master vassal only has to do its specific action, e.g.: Master of the road has to quell trouble or explore new regions each season if his sovereign so desires.
The said vassal can of course use his/hers other actions to do what he/she likes - most of the time to trade favours and or train themselves.
In my game the NPC vassals can use their actions to help their sovereign but at the additional cost of luxuries and or food.
They can use their actions but don't have to as stated in a vassal contract.

Another question, just to make sure. Any vassal can become an NPC by spending that last Season Action to train them, right? Master Vassals are just explicitly that way so as to remove some confusion.

Yes.
Lriot

Postby Misery Rex » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:56 am

Eh, if they were my Vassals and they were wasting time (my time, since they belong to me. Yes belong.) I would assume they were either aiding another lord to subvert me or plotting against me directly and they would be interrogated and removed at my earliest convenience.

Everytime.

I am sure their successor would learn from the mistakes of those who went before them.
Last edited by Misery Rex on Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Misery Rex

Postby Peregrine » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:55 pm

Misery Rex wrote:Eh, if they were my Vassals and they were wasting time (my time, since they belong to me. Yes belong.) I would assume they were either aiding another lord to subvert me or plotting against me directly and they would be interrogated and removed at my earliest convenience.

Everytime.

I am sure their successor would learn form the mistakes of those who went before them.

The only thing they'd have to learn is how to not be caught. Of course, NPC vassals in the LARP are a bit different, and with so much else going on and so many PC vassals playing, not much has been done with them.
"The Senate took my lands, my titles, my Name... They will bury this and forget me. But I will live long enough to remind them of what should not be forgotten." - Iyl, the Aged Stranger
Peregrine

Next

Return to Frequently Asked Questions