Unblooded and Names

veth, ruk and shluah veth.

Moderator: Snag

Re: Unblooded and Names

Postby Peregrine » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:47 pm

Another thing to consider: a few select members at the last Althua participated in a ritual which granted us a second secret name. Who is to say that during the birthing itself, a Blooded Ven is going through another form of the ritual to accomplish the same aim; giving the newborn child a secret name? Only the Blooded would have enough sorcerous ability for this secret name ritual to have any meaning, and the later Blooding ritual could reinforce this secret name. The veth may give newborn secret names, but without the sorcerous ritual backing it, may not have any power at all, unless the veth becomes Blooded.
"The Senate took my lands, my titles, my Name... They will bury this and forget me. But I will live long enough to remind them of what should not be forgotten." - Iyl, the Aged Stranger
User avatar
Peregrine
 
Posts: 126
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:10 am

Re: Unblooded and Names

Postby Loqua » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:01 pm

Peregrine wrote:Another thing to consider: a few select members at the last Althua participated in a ritual which granted us a second secret name. Who is to say that during the birthing itself, a Blooded Ven is going through another form of the ritual to accomplish the same aim; giving the newborn child a secret name? Only the Blooded would have enough sorcerous ability for this secret name ritual to have any meaning, and the later Blooding ritual could reinforce this secret name. The veth may give newborn secret names, but without the sorcerous ritual backing it, may not have any power at all, unless the veth becomes Blooded.


I can see that. Where the "power" of the name isn't unlocked until the Blooding. That is a solid theory. I just don't like sorcery and naming being so tied together. The power of names are never explained and I don't like the "Because it's magical" explanations for your name.
Blah-dee-blah-dee-blah.
Loqua
 
Posts: 212
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:42 pm

Re: Unblooded and Names

Postby Peregrine » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:28 pm

Loqua wrote:I can see that. Where the "power" of the name isn't unlocked until the Blooding. That is a solid theory. I just don't like sorcery and naming being so tied together. The power of names are never explained and I don't like the "Because it's magical" explanations for your name.

I can understand your dislike, as I feel the same way about the "because it's God" arguments. But I think the sorcery is just a channel for the Blood, and the Blood and Name are intimately tied.
"The Senate took my lands, my titles, my Name... They will bury this and forget me. But I will live long enough to remind them of what should not be forgotten." - Iyl, the Aged Stranger
User avatar
Peregrine
 
Posts: 126
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:10 am

Re: Unblooded and Names

Postby alexanderthesoso » Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:02 am

Loqua wrote:
Yes, my Daddy gave me a (secret) Name


and then he walked away?
alexanderthesoso
 
Posts: 189
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:07 pm

Re: Unblooded and Names

Postby alexanderthesoso » Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:05 am

On a serious note, the blooding ritual already does so, it gives you a house name, and empowers it, as you now get bonuses when invoking your house name. This brings up a big question, can unblooded invoke their secret name, should they have one? If the name isn't "activated" until blooding, then the answer would be no.

Unless there is a second way to activate your secret name (cough talashan cough)
alexanderthesoso
 
Posts: 189
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:07 pm

Re: Unblooded and Names

Postby Nihilistic Mind » Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:04 am

I think part of the issue is that we're kinda trying to make the culture fit around the rules (and sometimes to make it fit around the rules that we like), instead of using the rules to support what we know about the culture...
"Sparrow, I'll call you back. I've just gutted a man with a shard of wood and I need to make sure he's dead... I think you're right, Sparrow. I am a bad, bad man..."
~~Dr. Xander Crowe, WORMWOOD.
User avatar
Nihilistic Mind
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1070
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:02 pm
Location: Phoenix, AZ U.S.A.

Re: Unblooded and Names

Postby Loqua » Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:14 pm

Nihilistic Mind wrote:I think part of the issue is that we're kinda trying to make the culture fit around the rules (and sometimes to make it fit around the rules that we like), instead of using the rules to support what we know about the culture...



Thats an ambiguous argument since the rules of society are pretty much at the whim of the players and their style pools. What made you decide to take a Secret Name Fabien?
Blah-dee-blah-dee-blah.
Loqua
 
Posts: 212
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:42 pm

Re: Unblooded and Names

Postby Nihilistic Mind » Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:06 pm

Because I want to have people fuck with my character using Sorcery...
"Sparrow, I'll call you back. I've just gutted a man with a shard of wood and I need to make sure he's dead... I think you're right, Sparrow. I am a bad, bad man..."
~~Dr. Xander Crowe, WORMWOOD.
User avatar
Nihilistic Mind
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1070
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:02 pm
Location: Phoenix, AZ U.S.A.

Re: Unblooded and Names

Postby Loqua » Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:38 pm

Nihilistic Mind wrote:Because I want to have people fuck with my character using Sorcery...



Thats a $2 sentence right there. And good answer!
Blah-dee-blah-dee-blah.
Loqua
 
Posts: 212
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:42 pm

Re: Unblooded and Names

Postby Nihilistic Mind » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:03 am

Thanks! And yeah, "mess with" just wasn't strong enough a concept.
"Sparrow, I'll call you back. I've just gutted a man with a shard of wood and I need to make sure he's dead... I think you're right, Sparrow. I am a bad, bad man..."
~~Dr. Xander Crowe, WORMWOOD.
User avatar
Nihilistic Mind
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1070
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:02 pm
Location: Phoenix, AZ U.S.A.

PreviousNext

Return to The Unblooded

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

cron