Contemplating Aspects

Share and discuss the "house rules" of your own game and campaign.

Moderator: Snag

Contemplating Aspects

Postby wastevens » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:04 am

So, one thing I've noticed, with Aspects, is that coming up with an Invoke, a Tag and a Compel for every Aspect can be hard.

Usually, two out of three aren't hard, however. And Tags and Compels, while they are weaknesses, are also a source of strength in that they are Style generators for you.

So, I'm contemplating letting people have Aspects with only two of the three elements. Any thoughts on likely consequences?
wastevens

Re: Contemplating Aspects

Postby Nihilistic Mind » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:23 pm

If you choose two elements to keep, choose the Invoke, and the Compel. Tags can be added during the game as part of consequences, Wagers spent during Risks, etc...
"Sparrow, I'll call you back. I've just gutted a man with a shard of wood and I need to make sure he's dead... I think you're right, Sparrow. I am a bad, bad man..."
~~Dr. Xander Crowe, WORMWOOD.
Nihilistic Mind
Site Admin

Postby Black King » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:09 pm

I've ran it before for one-shot games where we're throwing characters together quickly that we just define the name of the aspect and the invoke, let the rest be determined when someone comes up with something pertinent to an event in the game. Helps get things rolling quickly and makes sure that the tags and compels are something that applies to the game. I'm sure it could be a style you could adopt for a longer running game.
Black King

Postby jeffszusz » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:22 am

I actually JUST read (finally got around to it...) that in Blood & Honour, this is the official shape of the Aspect; an Invoke and a Compel. I'm much happier with Tags as a separate but similar mechanic and will be using it for regular HoTB as well. Does pretty much everyone do this now?
jeffszusz

Return to The Rules of Your House